Fuji X100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Managed to try out the X100 at the IT fair this afternoon.

Firstly, I think the staff manning the Fuji booth (mixture of HN and Fuji Singapore staff?) were very customer centric and helpful. Better than many other IT fair camera counters I've experienced over the years.

There are only 3 sets of X100 to try it seems, so there was a bit of a wait for your turn to try the camera. IT fair is not an ideal place to test cameras out so it was frustrating. E.g. when it came to my turn the set I tried had everything on on the OVF, it made it look like the HUD of a flight simulator : P

Not a bad camera (excellent build quality though I feel that the aperture ring grip could be slightly bigger - I have big fingers : P) but I will wait for a better occasion to test before deciding to buy.

If anyone from Fuji Singapore is reading this forum, do consider setting up workshop sessions where photo enthusiasts can spend a Fri evening trying out the X100 at Fuji's Singapore office. I'm sure there would be pretty good sales from that form of marketing channel.

For those who are very keen to buy, the salesperson there told me he has limited sets, with more to come end of the month. Again this is from a busy sales guy stationed at a very crowded IT fair there so not sure how accurate is his estimate.

FWIW, my regular dealer told me that his confirmed shipping date is March 23rd, and the price should be around $15XX, so for those who want to wait and see, it's just another 10 days.

Having played with the camera for a while since charging the battery- build quality pretty solid, OVF/ EVF works great, AF in low light quite fast (but my D7000 faster), images are sharp, but macro mode is a bit slow (in low light). It really feels like the Leica Digilux 2 I used to have years ago, although that was bigger. Its a pretty fun camera but those expecting the "speed" or the user friendliness of a PnS or even a m43 will be disappointed.

FWIW, my regular dealer told me that his confirmed shipping date is March 23rd, and the price should be around $15XX, so for those who want to wait and see, it's just another 10 days.

Having played with the camera for a while since charging the battery- build quality pretty solid, OVF/ EVF works great, AF in low light quite fast (but my D7000 faster), images are sharp, but macro mode is a bit slow (in low light). It really feels like the Leica Digilux 2 I used to have years ago, although that was bigger. Its a pretty fun camera but those expecting the "speed" or the user friendliness of a PnS or even a m43 will be disappointed.

My partner and I will be conducting some sessions to help the new X100 owners.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dept...199415640077381.48421.178889238796688&theater
or
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Depthofeel/178889238796688

We are both Singapore testers of the X100

Managed to try out the X100 at the IT fair this afternoon.

Firstly, I think the staff manning the Fuji booth (mixture of HN and Fuji Singapore staff?) were very customer centric and helpful. Better than many other IT fair camera counters I've experienced over the years.

There are only 3 sets of X100 to try it seems, so there was a bit of a wait for your turn to try the camera. IT fair is not an ideal place to test cameras out so it was frustrating. E.g. when it came to my turn the set I tried had everything on on the OVF, it made it look like the HUD of a flight simulator : P

Not a bad camera (excellent build quality though I feel that the aperture ring grip could be slightly bigger - I have big fingers : P) but I will wait for a better occasion to test before deciding to buy.

If anyone from Fuji Singapore is reading this forum, do consider setting up workshop sessions where photo enthusiasts can spend a Fri evening trying out the X100 at Fuji's Singapore office. I'm sure there would be pretty good sales from that form of marketing channel.

For those who are very keen to buy, the salesperson there told me he has limited sets, with more to come end of the month. Again this is from a busy sales guy stationed at a very crowded IT fair there so not sure how accurate is his estimate.

I am not Fuji staff but I can confirm that Singapore has only 84 sets...but when I left at 130pm, the stock remaining is less than half :)
I did not include my 2 pre-production set ya :)

If over the next 3 days, it is still possible to buy the X100 at the IT Show, then it is likely that there is no real shortage at all and that we would be able to get the X100 from the outside retailers immediately after the IT Show at discounted prices albeit minus the crummy free gifts that Harvey Norman is offering at the Show.

I just want to share the little experience I have had with X100 so that new owners or to be owners could be aware of.
You may not like this camera for the first few hours. But once you understand how it functions, I am sure you will not leave home without it.

I got very frustrated when using it first time in my recent Cambodia trip especially under pressure to deliver. So, the first day is almost a nightmare. This camera is not easy to tame man! You will need to get use to switching from EVF to OVF and overcoming the challenge of a fix lens. The cam is highly configurable and you can customize the display to suit you.
There is hell lots of feature in this little beast....but like I said..tame it first!

The camera will be 1699 from all retailers as well, confirmed with AP and Cathay... (with 16gb SDHC + non-fuji premium case)

199 for the leather case is a rip-off, I mean the case isn't that great for actual shooting, in the 70's when they had the grip-less SLR's, these cases were known as 'never ready cases' and would get dumped in the closet after buying. I think I'll stick to any random pouch I can get my hands on.

The camera will be coming in anytime after March 21st. I have mine on preorder already and I will be collecting mine on the 21st :).

I am not Fuji staff but I can confirm that Singapore has only 84 sets...but when I left at 130pm, the stock remaining is less than half :)
I did not include my 2 pre-production set ya :)

Nice photos you have there. :) I had to rush down during school time to see the X100. When I was there at 1230pm, the sales lady told me 7 more sets left. Another sales guy told me that there is a customer purchased 40 sets at one go.. In the end, I also got poisoned into buying as well after looking at the VF. Haha... In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with selling at RRP since it is managed by Harvey Norman. However, I suppose the sales people can be more honest with the stock availability. They could just say that it is very popular that most of the people who come in is to look for or buy the X100.

Nice photos you have there. :) I had to rush down during school time to see the X100. When I was there at 1230pm, the sales lady told me 7 more sets left. Another sales guy told me that there is a customer purchased 40 sets at one go.. In the end, I also got poisoned into buying as well after looking at the VF. Haha... In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with selling at RRP since it is managed by Harvey Norman. However, I suppose the sales people can be more honest with the stock availability. They could just say that it is very popular that most of the people who come in is to look for or buy the X100.

sigh...u know how sales people work... I got to check with my partner, Tan S.K. who stayed to help. Not sure if any stock left.

What "speed" are you referring to? Shutter lag, AF speed,...??

Sorry- to clarify. Shutter/ af speed fast (imho) except when switching to/ from macro. The "speed" I am referring to is almost everything is manual, there is no "A" mode.

So far I'm very happy with this camera. Just hope that the hood adapter will be released soon so that I can fix a filter onto the camera to protect the front element. :cool:

One nitpick would be the relatively long MFD of 0.8m for non macro mode...It would have been great if the MFD can be reduced further to like 0.3m like my 35L... :D

Last edited:
Hi, guys i've an issue with custom settings of my OVF. i went into menu to check the settings i want to appear but when i view through the OVF it still only display mode aperture shutter and iso and exposure. please help. thanks.

Hi, guys i've an issue with custom settings of my OVF. i went into menu to check the settings i want to appear but when i view through the OVF it still only display mode aperture shutter and iso and exposure. please help. thanks.

You need to press the DISP BACK button to toggle between the custom OVF and standard OVF screen. :)

Thank you very much ray stinger.

I just want to share the little experience I have had with X100 so that new owners or to be owners could be aware of.
You may not like this camera for the first few hours. But once you understand how it functions, I am sure you will not leave home without it.

I got very frustrated when using it first time in my recent Cambodia trip especially under pressure to deliver. So, the first day is almost a nightmare. This camera is not easy to tame man! You will need to get use to switching from EVF to OVF and overcoming the challenge of a fix lens. The cam is highly configurable and you can customize the display to suit you.
There is hell lots of feature in this little beast....but like I said..tame it first!

I agree. Went there this noon, while walking looking & around, this sales girl suddenly pop out of nowhere & shaft a X100 to my face. HAHAHAHA!!!

Tried it & its a menu driven UI, most commonly used features r all hidden in the menu, to the extent it actually feels like a P&S :bsmilie:

Here's a test shot i did to try out. Straight from cam, 1/350s F4 ISO 1600

Original:
X100.jpg

Here's the 100% crop for center sharpness:
X100crop.jpg

IQ not bad :cool: It was through the showcase glass

I not sure if anyone got confused with the direction of the shutter and aperture dial. This is because my film RF points in the other direction for both aperture and shutter dial. Thus when I saw the that it was underexposed in the camera, I turned the way that I was used to, then I got more under exposed photos. Guess it was not easy for Fuji to decide on which direction. Just like the car's signal lights which is on the right for Japanese cars and on the left for European cars.

I not sure if anyone got confused with the direction of the shutter and aperture dial. This is because my film RF points in the other direction for both aperture and shutter dial. Thus when I saw the that it was underexposed in the camera, I turned the way that I was used to, then I got more under exposed photos. Guess it was not easy for Fuji to decide on which direction. Just like the car's signal lights which is on the right for Japanese cars and on the left for European cars.

Yes, maybe because your RF is European, and this one is Japanese? hehe..

Status
Not open for further replies.