frustrated with 2nd hand buyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay this seem like a nice family guy. I met him. He is a bit uncertain about how to use, so I explained and showed him. I gave him a much reduced price coz I feel he's a nice guy who just want to try out his first DSLR. He showed interest, saying thats the price he's looking for. Then show me his purse he got no cash, asking if he can go withdraw and come back. I told him no problem.
An hour later, he said 'not buying, sorry'. I replied '?', he said he 'dunno how to use'. #$%^&* If dunno will you please stop wasting everybody's time? I am an environmentalist and you are wasting fuel to drive the whole family down to view.

This is funny, in the first place, if the buyer will like to withdraw, the deal is normally near the ATM, why the hours wait?

for me (if you got lots of free time) :
scold and suan them in the public>>make them scold back in vulgar language>>report police

Those are some things not commonly observed here. There are more buyers who ask for significant discounts and want sellers to meet at their convenience than the opposite. Why should I travel to the buyer's place just to sell a $15 item?
I have always stated in the WTS post that I will only deal at my convenience place. This will help filter out some insincere buyers if they are staying far away and avoid wasting my time to meet up and then found out the guy has no intention to buy at the agreed price.

The other thing I would indicate in my WTS post is to indicate the price is fixed. Of course, for a $100 item, there is always slight leeway of $5 or so but obviously not a $30 discount. So far, they buyers that I met were quite reasonable.

I am recently selling my backup camera, would like to share some interesting stories and interesting people out there.

I decided to release the phone number for seller to watch out for these people. Seller beware!

81832365:
exchanged more than 10 sms to answer his queries, he decided to buy, then suddenly cancel a day before we meet.

LOL! Some swedish guy who compared the price with his hometown, write a whole essay about why should I give him lower price. After negotiated with the price, confirmed meeting, then suddenly decided to buy another camera.

+628161962709
OMG this is one unique funny buyer. After asking me for best price, he replied: 'Price acceptable with my budget'. Hello? Am I a salesman trying to persuade you to buy? He requested for more pictures although I posted some on forum, then say want pic so he can close deal. After he view the pic, he said 'Cam reserved, for sunday'. Hello? Are you reserving the camera or I reserve the camera for you? Luckily another buyer confirmed before he replied. I really don't feel like selling to him.
After I told him its reserved for someone else, he said '2 bad u didn't tell me some1 will c u today. Otherwise I will ask my sist 2 c u 2day'. Do I want to see your sister? I replied '2 bad u confirm too late. Have a nice day'.

Okay this seem like a nice family guy. I met him. He is a bit uncertain about how to use, so I explained and showed him. I gave him a much reduced price coz I feel he's a nice guy who just want to try out his first DSLR. He showed interest, saying thats the price he's looking for. Then show me his purse he got no cash, asking if he can go withdraw and come back. I told him no problem.
An hour later, he said 'not buying, sorry'. I replied '?', he said he 'dunno how to use'. #$%^&* If dunno will you please stop wasting everybody's time? I am an environmentalist and you are wasting fuel to drive the whole family down to view.

initially showed interest and said he's sincere buyer after reading my post complaining those who back out last minute. after patiently reply all his queries, he suddenly give me a super low ball price at 200 bucks for a 2 year old DSLR. what is this? I reply him nicely that he should got for first generation DSLR.

sigh..... am I being to nice to answer and entertain everyone? Somebody please teach me how to be a bas**rd.
It gets worse. Much worse than that.

I do think that we do have a national issue..... what have our education system achieved in developing???

I think not much looking at how things are. I think it is just a very bad kia si, kia su mentality that somehow percolates down through the people and thru the education system. It may be a side effect of the meritocratic or highly competitive society that we are in.

I just encounter one since yest.

ask for $70 for my tokina lens when i stated bnp $120, gave him a lower price and he was ok wif it.
than i ask him if he don mind transfering me a small deposit 2 ensure that his sincere.

than he say if the lens is made in Japan, if not he wont be buying.... okie wif me as i told my sis to help me to check the lens as i wast not at hm the whole night.

msg him bk today that it is made in Japan ahd that he can transfer the deposit to my acct.
now is the beautiful thing, he ask "the lens is tamron rite?"

told him its Tokina..... and I tink now go MIA liao.....

Hi Bros,

I have quite a number of such buyer and seller too.... Just that my " Hood" too small so dun dare to state my case here for fear of offending people.....

But just that some of them really drive me up to my *#&#* till i don't know to laugh in their face or get piss off about that....:(

Apprently i guess there are no way but to probably create a thread putting in phone numbers of buyers and seller trying to be funny? Then again people might just mis-use them....

I guess we whom try to be nice and fair would still be at the losing end. After you get so sick and tired of hitting such people that you give up trying to be nice, people say you unfriendly..... :bsmilie:

Wow TS.... 4 this type of buyer ??!! :sweat:

Luckily most of the buyer I had not so bad..., only one kept asking me for "Best Price" even when I said FIX Price :bsmilie:

don't worry, there are plenty of bad sellers too. most of the time the issue is that the lens does not meet up to the prescribed rating conditions of CS. People rate stuff at condition 10 or even mint way too easily.

i had this seller. put up a lens for sale, pmed on the price asking for it to be reduced slightly as it was quite high for a 2nd hand sigma lens.

Ok, seller agreed and reduced the price by 50, saying he found a piece of dust in the lens, otherwise condition 10. I even smsed to reconfirm condition 10.

went out of my way to accomodate the seller, met near his place at AMK.

The lens had a big fungus right in the middle of the centre element! 1-2cm in diameter.....how can anyone mistake that for a "small spec of dust"?

even without the "dust", the lens itself had alot of user marks on it, and from the lens rubber you can tell it is used alot with plenty of sweat marks everywhere.

how can the seller describe as condition 10, rarely used and always in dry cabinet.

I asked if he kept in dry cabinet, he said yes. I asked what humidity level, he said duno. I suspect he doesnt even have a dry cabinet....

still had the cheek to ask me if i still want to buy.

Next time, if seller says there is dust in the lens, make sure you ask the seller to take a picture of the lens showing the dust!

Last edited:
Yeah yeah you see a lot of interesting things when you start selling stuff... some from my own experience:
- bid at one price, then when you contact him/her, they want to lower their bid...
- you put the starting bid as one price, then there was one guy who offered $500 less than the starting bid - i dunno whether to bang my head against the wall or just laugh...

Oh well parts and parcel of life in Singapore...

i think is not so nice to post the number... it seem like a customer walk into the shop and ask for something... deal was not closed... then the salesman paste the customer photo infront the shop....

There are always those black sheep buyers & sellers to spoil the day...

As the late Michael Jackson sung... "You are not alone..." ;)

There will always be such things happening... one of my interesting incident was a man who kept trying to bargain down $3 and I kept firm on the price... and he tried 3 times over about 1.5 weeks. When he finally agreed on my price, I met him, and he drove a 2-door BMW to get the item :bsmilie:

i have a better one. this time is the seller. ask me to meet at tanah merah. i stayed in cck, travel all the way to meet him at expo.
and he late for 45mins!. called him/message him no reply!!!. on my way back home at abt eunos he sms me to deal. pek chek me...i low ball him by $50 immediately ..and he agree to the price!. shocking..i travel back to see what is he up to. then i realise what it was abt. the lens we agreed should come with B+W filter, it came instead with kenko filter. the recept he give me though is B+W filter....haha think i noob or wat kenko and B+W filter is like heaven and earth. reduce price by another 100 bucks before I buy. but that poor fellow was cheated too la - as far as i can tell.

Hi Guys,

3 years ago I bought my first DSLR, second-hand, in Singapore, a 350D. I did all my negotiations through ClubSNAP pms. The deal went perfectly. I thought that I got a very good deal and the seller was happy with the price. Thanks ClubSNAP

I later tried to buy an ultra-wide lens and had a few people offered me the lens at unrealistic prices. I then bought the lens new at OP for less than the seller's second-hand price.

So far, all of my photographic buying experiences in Singapore have been great.

For all my satisfaction, in two weeks I shall buy a new Sony A850 system in KL, the prices seem to be marginally cheaper there.

At the time you decided to deal in B&S, you should have made yourself aware and prepared to experience this kinda situation....

Why you need to get frustated? First timer?

Actually, in my opinion, it should be the case that buyers beware of sellers instead of the other way round.

Sellers face the risk of bargaining/late/fly aeroplane buyers, but buyers face the risk of paying $$$ for defective lens/cameras/lemons and etc.

so buyers face the greater financial risk. All i can advise sellers is to insist on meeting at your own convenience, or at least make the buyer travel halfway to somewhere central to meet you, not go all the way to the buyer's house to accomodate him.

Hi Had a friend selling a lens for 800. He recieved a sms offering 400 for the lens.... My friend was still nice to reply saying that if he can find the same lens at 400, let him know and he would gladly buy it at 600 from him and he can keep the profit...............

After awhile the guy replied... " I think you do not understand my msg. i want to buy your lens at 400... Not selling a lens at 600.....

" Vomit Blood "

Actually, in my opinion, it should be the case that buyers beware of sellers instead of the other way round.

Sellers face the risk of bargaining/late/fly aeroplane buyers, but buyers face the risk of paying $$$ for defective lens/cameras/lemons and etc.

so buyers face the greater financial risk. All i can advise sellers is to insist on meeting at your own convenience, or at least make the buyer travel halfway to somewhere central to meet you, not go all the way to the buyer's house to accomodate him.

Agree :thumbsup:

After a number of BnS deals, IMHO... Never feel happy over a series of confirmation calls/sms, when the money is still not in your pocket, funny things will still happen. As CS Tan had pointed out, let the buyer travels down to meet you (if you are selling). If you are kind enough to travel to meet potential buyer, don't complain if the deal is not sealed. Anyone has his/her own right not to buy sth, hehe... :devil:

Anyway, if you are selling sth at a price way below used market price, you can state first come first serve with details of place to meet and time.

Had encounter with 2nd hand seller.

Found a deal for 580EX at B&S, arranged with the seller to deal 4 days later, and on the actual day when i msg him, suddenly he told me he does not want to sell the flash anymore.Do not even have the courtesy to inform me the moment he changed his mind. Which during the four days interval i stumbled upon a few flash offers which I could had bought, worse was I needed the extra 580EX for a shoot the very next day. Oh and just then on the very same night when I "lost" the deal. Found at deal from a friend selling his 580EXII for just 60 dollars more for what I could have paid for the 580EXI after posting a "shoutout" on facebook. haha.

Frustrated? - No. Happy? - Very

Somemore have yet to thank the seller for his part

Status
Not open for further replies.