Freelancer etiquette: Must pay commission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
Let's say you're a freelancer, and a friend finds for you a lobang for a job (not a super high-paying assignment). Are you supposed to pay him cash commission?

depends on how close u r to him. whether u have found him lobang before. maybe a small token. another way of looking at it...if u found your friend a job would u expect anything?

nowadays, we buy coffee or dinner. but i still wouldn't call it commission... more of a goodwill exchange, and if you're good, the recommended client is the one who benefits!

then what happened if the assignment worth say 10K/day?

oeyvind said:
then what happened if the assignment worth say 10K/day?

If like that then no need to say. I will surely give a cut of my earnings. But I'm talking about relatively small-time assignments (much lesser than 1k/day weddings).

pokiemon said:
depends on how close u r to him. whether u have found him lobang before. maybe a small token. another way of looking at it...if u found your friend a job would u expect anything?

I'll always buy lunch/dinner. But apparently some people (not strangers nor loose acquaintences) expect to be paid to recommend the job. I don't really have a problem with that. I just wonder if all along I have made a mistake by NOT paying friends in cash for recommending me jobs. For me personally, if I have lobang, I will let people take up the job, no hesitations, no expecations (in terms of "rewards").

Or am I'm being too naive?

Status
Not open for further replies.