Fr AH 12/05/04

Status
Not open for further replies.

macross

Nov 3, 2003
Bedok
Hmmmm, the gallery seems quiet today. Anyway, here are my pics for u to enjoy.

I seems to be shooting quite close today.

1. Bush Hopper. (cropped) At least not so 'shiny' now. :)

2240.jpg

2. Need help in the id. Taractrocera ardonia lamia? (cropped) Should be a new species for me. :D

2242.jpg

3. Chestnut Bob. (cropped) 1 up! :gbounce:

2288.jpg

4. Leopard. (cropped) About 2-3 in away in super-macro mode.

2263.jpg

5. Painted Jezebel. (cropped) I think about 3 feet away. Eye not so sharp, but background at least not so dark now. :)

2306.jpg

6. King Crow. (cropped) Shot about 2 feet away. iso400 as I did not want to use flash. For those who want to shoot this fellow, there is a place for ambushing (all my shots were taken there), but may take a long time. :D

2320.jpg

7. Female Common Birdwing. (not cropped) Can't believe I shot this in super-macro mode, about half a feet away! Somehow, it was still, and I got 24 shots of it. Sleeping? or just born? iso400 as I did not want to use flash. By the time I left, it was still there.

2334.jpg

There was once when a Common Rose landed and basked about 2-3 feet away from me. However, my digicam was not in the correct setting. By the time I got ready, it flew away. :(

Nice shots at your 2nd home macross, especially the Common Birdwing.

Think I'll be down there tomm morning if it dosen't rain.

nice variety of butts u got there. seems like the butts are less afraid of smaller cameras uh. without my camera i can get very close to them. once i point my camera up they all duno fly where liao

I think it's our big black lenses + the sudden upwards movement of the lens.

Maybe need to start camoflaging them like the birders do for their super big lenses. :bsmilie:

MaGixShOe said:
seems like the butts are less afraid of smaller cameras uh.

Well, my digicam is small, compared to what u guys/gals have. (my sis says it's heavy!) To prevent sudden movement, usually I point it to the subject when I close-in slowly (in. by in. if needed), and in a straight line towards it if possible. I often try to close-in as the min working dist for 10x (380 mm equiv) is 1.2 m. Looking for Nikon 4T to minimise the working dist, which was not available at CP an AP last week.

mr_jason said:
Nice shots at your 2nd home macross, especially the Common Birdwing.

More like a 'golden house' (金屋 ) :D , u know what I mean. Won't be there frequent now, as tuition will stop for a while. :(

macross said:
More like a 'golden house' (金屋 ) :D , u know what I mean. Won't be there frequent now, as tuition will stop for a while. :(

So where will be your new hunt? Anything interesting in the east?
Good pics as usual.

Nice, Macross! Sorry my footsteps "scared" the King Crow away *paiseh hor*
Btw, when I left, the Common Birdwing flew away liow, think it was basking there just for you to photograph! :D

Good capture! :thumbsup:
In term of composition & bg, I like the Chestnut Bob most! The low angle work.
y u don't want to use flash? :dunno: It'll help to reduce the shadow in the Chestnut Bob shot.

Zookeeper said:
Nice, Macross! Sorry my footsteps "scared" the King Crow away *paiseh hor*

No lah, it wasn't you. I make a move that it considered too sudden and not safe.

Anyway, how were your shots of the female Common Birdwing? That was a chance not to be missed, right? :)

FujiS2 said:
It'll help to reduce the shadow in the Chestnut Bob shot.

That was shot in super-macro mode, so cannot fire flash. That reminds me, for the female Common Birdwing, iso was increased not because don't want to fire flash, but no choice because of dim light. :embrass: A tripod would have been useful in this situation.

That of the King Crow, was not in super-macro mode. Flash was fired in a few shots, but results were ng as there were dark background and black shadows.

Thanks for you remark. Will try to use fill-flash, maybe with reduce intensity, say -0.7 EV? Don't have an external flash yet.

Good catch there macross. ;) You may be right in that smaller digicams are less intimidating to the butts than SLRs with big, long lenses. :bsmilie:

You got a very nice shot of the Common Birdwing at rest. These buggers never seem to stop at all everytime I see them. Have never gotten a chance at a decent shot of them. :sweat:

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

macross said:
That was shot in super-macro mode, so cannot fire flash.

macross, time to upgrade to dslr :devil:

macross said:
Will try to use fill-flash, maybe with reduce intensity, say -0.7 EV? Don't have an external flash yet.

remember to set the slow sync as well when doing fill ;)

Nice collection of butts shots. You are getting really good at it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very nice Macross. I like the bush hopper. The whole butt is tack sharp. ;)
Super.

macross said:
Hmmmm, the gallery seems quiet today. Anyway, here are my pics for u to enjoy.

1. Bush Hopper. (cropped) At least not so 'shiny' now. :)

2. Need help in the id. Taractrocera ardonia lamia? (cropped) Should be a new species for me. :D

Nice series of shots! :thumbsup: Nice saturated colours and sharpness.

BTW, the first shot is a Lesser Dart. Bush Hoppers are seldom found in urban areas. But as FujiS2 will tell you after taking a look at his newly-bought butt bible, the Lesser Dart (Potanthus group of butts are irritatingly difficult to ID.

The 2nd one is a Contiguous Swift (Polytremis lubricans lubricans). Very variable in the spots and male/female also variable in the arrangements of the wing spots. ;p

Papilio said:
But as FujiS2 will tell you after taking a look at his newly-bought butt bible, the Lesser Dart (Potanthus group of butts are irritatingly difficult to ID.

for me not only the skipper group difficult to id but those with similar looks one also difficult :dunno: must study hard :D

skyflash said:
Any suggestions on what are the critical features? :p
Size seems to be one. Location is another.

For this group of butts, it's really hard. In the Corbet & Pendlebury book, there is a key to the separation of species preceding each genus. Not easy when the genus has many lookalike species, but we can just generalise at the genus level when we are not sure. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.