For newbies comparing Nikon's D40, D60, D80

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha..i just bot a used and mint condition d40 with kit for 580 wif mmry card...+ mths warranty too..

wa thats cheap deal...didnt expect the price to drop so fast, 550 for body 30 for lens?
whats the shutter count?

less than 8k i guess...coz its a spare cam.

Wah, the previous owner got too much $$....
i can't even afford to buy spare batt, how to buy spare cam? ;)

maybe i should go an loan a d50 body to see if the noise performance is worst than d40 cause the MF issues with the 50mm prime is starting to get to me a bit...

maybe i should go an loan a d50 body to see if the noise performance is worst than d40 cause the MF issues with the 50mm prime is starting to get to me a bit...

If you do that, maybe the smaller LCD will start to get to you? ;)
What do you use your 50mm prime for?
Truth be told, I use the MF function a lot on my D80... manual focus and aperture-priority mode for this lens... I seem to like this combo. It would still work for me if I had a D40! ;)

If you do that, maybe the smaller LCD will start to get to you? ;)
What do you use your 50mm prime for?
Truth be told, I use the MF function a lot on my D80... manual focus and aperture-priority mode for this lens... I seem to like this combo. It would still work for me if I had a D40! ;)

small lcd is fine with me, my panny still uses a 1.8" screen.
thinking of loaning it say for 2 or 3 days to compare the difference in iso performance.

okay, you got a body to AF with why use MF ?
anyway if you MF on your d80, how you determine if it is in focus ?
by the view of the VF or some small green dot as well ?

i use the 50mm for close-ups still life objects.
the small green dot at the bottom left of the d40 is not so easy to spot sometimes and it doesnt stay stable all the time, have to use a tripod to keep cam body movement down.

small lcd is fine with me, my panny still uses a 1.8" screen.
thinking of loaning it say for 2 or 3 days to compare the difference in iso performance.

okay, you got a body to AF with why use MF ?
anyway if you MF on your d80, how you determine if it is in focus ?
by the view of the VF or some small green dot as well ?

i use the 50mm for close-ups still life objects.
the small green dot at the bottom left of the d40 is not so easy to spot sometimes and it doesnt stay stable all the time, have to use a tripod to keep cam body movement down.

the same problem exists with the D80, i find it hard to use the gren dot to manual focus my D80 as well.

this should be posted under nikon.
anyway, i went to john3:16 and i was told that D60 uses a newer sensor than D80 and D40.

this should be posted under nikon.
anyway, i went to john3:16 and i was told that D60 uses a newer sensor than D80 and D40.

arguable, since this thread is targetted at newbies too :) but thats besides the point. haha yeah the D60 uses a newer sensor. the D80's sensor is fine too. just has some noise issues at iso 1000 and above.

recently a last week i brought D60 kit lens for $899 it comes with Lens pen, bag, 4gb SD card with card reader and tripod. from Cathay photo at peninsula.

thinking it was reasonable prices plus D60 sensor was not that bad, im not sure about D80 tho
its just slight diff between d60 and d80 was it?

hmm, nope. there's a stark contrast bet. both models. one of them includes the compatibility of lenses.

i wouldn't say "compatability of lenses", cause all lens that can be used on the D80 can be used on the D60 as well. It's just that the D80 has a built in focussing motor, but the D60 doesn't. so non AF-S lenses (lenses with motors built in) cannot auto focus on the D60. you have to manual focus.

:thumbsup: this thread...
kinda forgot about it.
Not much to add to it. Maybe when the rumoured d90 is launched...! hehehehe

as for simon_84's question about me using MF on my D80, I can't give a good answer. AF would definitely be faster. I don't think my MF method beats the AF for focusing sharpness too. Just a habit I guess. Like to turn the focus dial myself :bsmilie:

ps. I really love the extra LCD display on the top of the D80, and the extra dial at the forefinger. That alone makes it worthwhile to get over the D40/D60, for those who like to adjust the settings a lot. Very convenient!

:thumbsup: this thread...
kinda forgot about it.
Not much to add to it. Maybe when the rumoured d90 is launched...! hehehehe

as for simon_84's question about me using MF on my D80, I can't give a good answer. AF would definitely be faster. I don't think my MF method beats the AF for focusing sharpness too. Just a habit I guess. Like to turn the focus dial myself :bsmilie:

ps. I really love the extra LCD display on the top of the D80, and the extra dial at the forefinger. That alone makes it worthwhile to get over the D40/D60, for those who like to adjust the settings a lot. Very convenient!

i totally agree with the last paragraph. that and the fact that there is a vertical grip for the D80, which helps ALOT when taking in portrait mode. as far as i know, D40/60 doesn't have a vertical grip

Status
Not open for further replies.