For newbies comparing Nikon's D40, D60, D80

Status
Not open for further replies.
have updated my initial post a bit, to explain more clearly the lens issues with the D40/D60. Hopefully I have not made any mistake with the information I provided.
also added my most recent comment about the D80's additional LCD and secondary command dial.

as for simon_84's question about me using MF on my D80, I can't give a good answer. AF would definitely be faster. I don't think my MF method beats the AF for focusing sharpness too. Just a habit I guess. Like to turn the focus dial myself :bsmilie:

recently i read up about someone using the d80 to MF also depends on the small green dot at the bottom left of the VF like d40.
once the green dot stop blinking means pic in focus ?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD80/page4.asp

I use my eyes to judge the focus, and the green dot is just like a confirmation.
The green dot doesn't blink at all. It's either on or off. It is only at a very specific focus point that the green dot is on.
So if you focus using the green dot, what happens is you turn the focus dial, see the green dot flash briefly, then stop and turn the dial in the opposite direction SLOWLY till you get the green dot always on. Sometimes have to turn back and forth ;)

Hello. I know this question is a bit redundant but, in your opinions..

- If I do not have a budget, then would D60/D80 be better?
- Which is more convinient to have if I do not want to upgrade to another DSLR in maybe 3-5 years to come, only lenses?
- Lastly, since D80 has a variety of using lenses (due to the AF/AF-s or something i dont know), does it make it very difficult for me when it comes to buying lesson?

Appologies if my questions are ridiculous/lame, i'm sooo new to this and i'm going confused as i've read too much reviews. So i just want to know these questions. If there are any other advises, please feel free to share with me your knowledge. Much appreciated. :)

There are vertical battery grip for the D40, D40x, D60; 3rd party brands. Waiting for mine to arrive; ordered from Ebay.

Other differences of D60 compare to D40 are listed below:

• auto-orienting screen (horizontal or vertical)
  • built-in stop motion movie maker
  • active D-lighting feature, which adjusts the shadow areas of the photograph
  • improved system to minimize dust landing on the sensor
  • graphical white balance adjustment offering fine-tuning of white balance settings
  • eye sensor function, which turns off the LCD when the user looks through the viewfinder
  • kit option includes the new 18-55mm VR lens, with the VR improving photographs in low light by 2-3 stops, as compared to the previous 18-55mm kit lens
  • simultaneous recording of both RAW and JPEG data of the same image

Hi, the package you bought is it the same as the $1488 Nikon promotion now, with Dual lens (VR 18-55, VR 55-200)....?

Thanks ;)

I got my dual lens at 1288.....
check the promotion from audio hse...

cheers

I got my dual lens at 1288.....
check the promotion from audio hse...

cheers

i'll never consider buying stuff from audio house, cause they aren't a dedicated camera shop, and they have an extensive history of using gimmicks to get buyers. i'd rather get it from say John 3:16 and then when i go back in future, he'll give me better prices for lens and such. (plus can TCSS if the shop not too busy.)

Hello. I know this question is a bit redundant but, in your opinions..

- If I do not have a budget, then would D60/D80 be better?
- Which is more convinient to have if I do not want to upgrade to another DSLR in maybe 3-5 years to come, only lenses?
- Lastly, since D80 has a variety of using lenses (due to the AF/AF-s or something i dont know), does it make it very difficult for me when it comes to buying lesson?

Appologies if my questions are ridiculous/lame, i'm sooo new to this and i'm going confused as i've read too much reviews. So i just want to know these questions. If there are any other advises, please feel free to share with me your knowledge. Much appreciated. :)

Hi nzh08,

1) Budget is not the only point to consider between D60 and D80. One other key point is the difference in size of the camera. Ken Rockwell makes a good point: better to have a camera which you are more likely to carry everywhere, so you will never miss that opportunity when your camera is left at home. The difference in size between D60 and D80 could affect your decision whether or not to bring the camera out.

2) D80 perhaps would be more future-proof because as you get more experience with operating the camera, it might be important to you to be able to change settings quickly. The D80 has more buttons and also 2 command dials, making it easier.

3) I don't quite understand your 3rd question. D80 allows you to have auto-focus function with a larger variety of Nikkor lenses (past and present). I'm not sure why it would make it more difficult for you when it comes to buying lesson. What buying lesson, by the way? What kind of course is that?

There are vertical battery grip for the D40, D40x, D60; 3rd party brands. Waiting for mine to arrive; ordered from Ebay.

Other differences of D60 compare to D40 are listed below:

• auto-orienting screen (horizontal or vertical)
  • built-in stop motion movie maker
  • active D-lighting feature, which adjusts the shadow areas of the photograph
  • improved system to minimize dust landing on the sensor
  • graphical white balance adjustment offering fine-tuning of white balance settings
  • eye sensor function, which turns off the LCD when the user looks through the viewfinder
  • kit option includes the new 18-55mm VR lens, with the VR improving photographs in low light by 2-3 stops, as compared to the previous 18-55mm kit lens
  • simultaneous recording of both RAW and JPEG data of the same image

1) D-Lighting is available on D40 too.
2) dust cleaning function has already been mentioned in my post.
3) White balance adjustment is also available on D40.
4) eye sensor function has already been mentioned in my post.
5) new VR kit lens has already been mentioned in my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.