Flash problems ?

Sep 23, 2008
Hi guys

i just bought a external flash for my A230 brand is sunblitz 4000. When i shoot in auto mood the picture
always come out badly illuminated. I have to use Manual or shutter priority mode. When using shutter
priority mode any thing above 1/160 shutter speed will be badly illuminated. Anyone have this problem
with cheap flash before ??

tecnica

Dec 26, 2004
How bad is 'badly illuminate'?

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
Well, you know what they say... you get what you pay for...

Also, keep in mind the flash sync speed of your body.

detritus

Sep 12, 2009
shootingbugs.blogspot.com
if using TTL flash, its better to use in M mode so u can set your shutter, aperture, ISO and leave the flash to determine the flash power.

that allows u to have more control in terms of the type of pic u want to get.

as mentioned, your camera's max sync speed is 1/160. so anything above that, your guess is as good as mine - u probably won't get a good pic.

also, need to have realistic expectations abt flash, whether cheap or expensive flash. for example, its not realistic to shoot at F11, ISO200, 1/160 at a subject at the far end of a dark room with the flash bounced off a high ceiling and expecting to get a magically bright picture.

when shooting indoors for family / friends gatherings, i normally bump up the ISO and reduce the shutter speed so the flash don't have to work so hard and to allow me to bounce the flash so i don't get the "deer-in-headlight" effect by blasting a flash directly into their eyeballs. higher ISO and lower shutter speed also allows me to capture the ambient light better so i get a nicer BG. thats just my newbie preference :)

Sep 23, 2008
if using TTL flash, its better to use in M mode so u can set your shutter, aperture, ISO and leave the flash to determine the flash power.

that allows u to have more control in terms of the type of pic u want to get.

as mentioned, your camera's max sync speed is 1/160. so anything above that, your guess is as good as mine - u probably won't get a good pic.

also, need to have realistic expectations abt flash, whether cheap or expensive flash. for example, its not realistic to shoot at F11, ISO200, 1/160 at a subject at the far end of a dark room with the flash bounced off a high ceiling and expecting to get a magically bright picture.

when shooting indoors for family / friends gatherings, i normally bump up the ISO and reduce the shutter speed so the flash don't have to work so hard and to allow me to bounce the flash so i don't get the "deer-in-headlight" effect by blasting a flash directly into their eyeballs. higher ISO and lower shutter speed also allows me to capture the ambient light better so i get a nicer BG. thats just my newbie preference :)
Haha thanks at least that clear my doubt. But will this happen to build in flash ?
coz i bought a cam from this forum with a spoilt Flash..

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
I think posting a sample photo will be better.
Its rather hard for me to understand what 'badly illuminated' means.

detritus

Sep 12, 2009
shootingbugs.blogspot.com
Haha thanks at least that clear my doubt. But will this happen to build in flash ?
coz i bought a cam from this forum with a spoilt Flash..
"spoilt" as in doesn't fire off? or "spoilt" as in doesn't expose correctly?

the on-board flash will follow the same max sync speed.

So be it what brand of flash i use, the shutter speed goes above 1/160
i will still get badly illuminated pictures ?
unless your camera and flash supports high speed sync. not sure abt sony equipment.

but u already using flash already - shutter speed set so fast for what? :confused:

tecnica

Dec 26, 2004
Hi bro exactly wat happened to my cam once above 1/160 is out of sync. will this happen to other
sony cam ?
go readup on how the shutter curtain works, before and after x-sync speed.

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
Hi bro exactly wat happened to my cam once above 1/160 is out of sync. will this happen to other
sony cam ?
You can get exposure problems, "black sections" in the pic, etc. This is NORMAL for all DSLR cameras. If you need a faster flash synch, you need a higher-end camera. For example, an A77.

Sep 23, 2008
"spoilt" as in doesn't fire off? or "spoilt" as in doesn't expose correctly?

the on-board flash will follow the same max sync speed.

unless your camera and flash supports high speed sync. not sure abt sony equipment.

but u already using flash already - shutter speed set so fast for what? :confused:

Hi bro spoilt as in totally cannot work ..

Sep 23, 2008
hi guys i think i knw the reason behind it when ever i on my flash,
the shutter speed will go 1/60 and aperture will be F5.6 stagnant.
is that normal ?? reason y i get image darker then usual is because
of the F5.6 . when i off the flash, it goes back to normal.

tecnica

Dec 26, 2004
was the flash in TTL mode when you took both pics?

Sep 23, 2008
your photo in Auto mode... the f-stop was f5.6. on Manual it was f3.5

understand now?
Yup i know in manual was 3.5 but by looking at the image
is it normal for the lighting of the flash on auto ?

Top Bottom