Flash problems ?

your photo in Auto mode... the f-stop was f5.6. on Manual it was f3.5

understand now?

Yup i know. But the image taken in auto mode is normal right ??

by right, the TTL should compensate for the change in aperture(f3.5) and provide enough light to maintain the same exposure as at f5.6.

maybe this is a case of not having enough power? flash is already at its threshold?

by right, the TTL should compensate for the change in aperture(f3.5) and provide enough light to maintain the same exposure as at f5.6.

maybe this is a case of not having enough power? flash is already at its threshold?

Hi u mean the flash have not enugh power ?? coz the battery i use is those cheapo 1 from giant
will it affect the output ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, Pic#2 was taken in Aperture Priority, not in Manual mode.

You may want to try taking in Manual mode with the same setting, i.e. f/5.6, 1/60 to see if same problem persists.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Pic#2 was taken in Aperture Priority, not in Manual mode.

You may want to try taking in Manual mode with the same setting, i.e. f/5.6, 1/60 to see if same problem persists.

Hi bro tried already it still comes out the same as the Auto mode

Hmm guys sorry if I post on the wrong thread, but just to clarify some of my doubts, what is the use of TTL for external speedlite or flash? How does it really affect the picture? Can anyone show some pictures comparing both. Thanks to those who reply me. :D

perhaps the camera measured the distance to the subject the first time around

then the second time around, it measured further back?

Hmm guys sorry if I post on the wrong thread, but just to clarify some of my doubts, what is the use of TTL for external speedlite or flash? How does it really affect the picture? Can anyone show some pictures comparing both. Thanks to those who reply me. :D

Hmm it's okay guys. I know what it is already. :D

Hi bro tried already it still comes out the same as the Auto mode

it also means the flash cannot light up a subject properly at this setting or the TTL is not reliable enough?

where is the flash head pointed at when you took these two shots?

hi i took it with the flash pointing front wards.
Another problem when ever i switch on the flash
the 1st shot will have nice illuminated pictures
but when i shoot the second shot all the pictures
became quite dark.

Bro u took continuous shots is it? Must allow e flash to recharge first before taking e next shot. Otherwise e flash output will be weaker due to e lower charge..

Bro u took continuous shots is it? Must allow e flash to recharge first before taking e next shot. Otherwise e flash output will be weaker due to e lower charge..

hi i let it recharge already i leave it there for more then 10 sec.

hi i let it recharge already i leave it there for more then 10 sec.

- weak batteries? that causes a longer recycle time. most flash have an indicator light that lights up when the flash is fully recycled.

- slow recycle time? common in budget flash guns (according to the website, this model's recycle time is 0.5 - 8 secs)

- flash not powerful enough? use M mode, set to max aperture, slower shutter speed (i.e. 1/80) and bump up iso (i.e. 400 - 800)

last but not least,

- faulty unit with inaccurate TTL? make sure u've addressed all of the above and take a few shots using the same settings. if u get inconsistent results, its possible that the flash is simply faulty and the TTL is inaccurate / inconsistent.

don't keep switching between auto and manual on your camera - that just makes it impossible to determine the actual problem. just shoot in M mode and determine if the flash is not powerful enough, or if the TTL is inconsistent and faulty.

Hi There,

Looks like you are using a non-dedicated flash that may not be fully compatible. When its not fully compatible, means that the flash itself may not support the pre-flash function that most or infact all dedicated digital camera flashes for DSLR would behave like. In DSLR, the flash needs to do an instantaneous preflash prior to the flash for the actual exposure. Some non-dedicated flashes made my third party which claims to support TTL my not be able to support the pre-flash. When I say pre-flash...it means that prior to a shot, it will go like "Fire(pre-flash)"-"Fire(actual flash affecting exposure)". (FYI - in the film days, you dont need pre-flash TTL as the light sensor measures the light bouncing form the film surface. In DLSR, you cant do this as the sensor surface is glass ) The preflash is measured by the sensor sitting below the two way flip up mirror. The actual flash is then for the actual shot when the mirror is up. For non-dedicated non-compatible flash, unless you can dial in the power (i.e change power of flash output), working in the M mode is the way to go. You can also work by distance based on the guide number of the flash itself in combination with the shutter speed and aperture. But watch out for the mas sync speed of the camera else you will get non-correct exposure.

In the photo examples you posted, you mentioned that in auto mode, the image always turn out bad (unlit). Thats true. Its probably unlit to begin with. The flash could have fired the first part of the pre-flash but the second part of the flash there isn't any flash. Based on the EXIF value of the shot taken in the auto mode - if you pluck the Aperture and shutter value in M(manual) mode and then try the shot again in M mode, you should get different result - in this case brighter picture perhaps.

Last edited:
Hi There,

Looks like you are using a non-dedicated flash that may not be fully compatible. When its not fully compatible, means that the flash itself may not support the pre-flash function that most or infact all dedicated digital camera flashes for DSLR would behave like. In DSLR, the flash needs to do an instantaneous preflash prior to the flash for the actual exposure. Some non-dedicated flashes made my third party which claims to support TTL my not be able to support the pre-flash. When I say pre-flash...it means that prior to a shot, it will go like "Fire(pre-flash)"-"Fire(actual flash affecting exposure)". The preflash is measured by the sensor sitting below the two way flip up mirror. The actual flash is then for the actual shot when the mirror is up. For non-dedicated non-compatible flash, unless you can dial in the power (i.e change power of flash output), working in the M mode is the way to go. You can also work by distance based on the guide number of the flash itself in combination with the shutter speed and aperture. But watch out for the mas sync speed of the camera else you will get non-correct exposure.

yup there is no pre flash before the actual flash fire. But this flash had
a sony mount. weird that 3rd party flash makers don make it fully compatible =/

yup there is no pre flash before the actual flash fire. But this flash had
a sony mount. weird that 3rd party flash makers don make it fully compatible =/

they are not called 3rd party for no reason.

basically they just buy the 1st party flashes, open them up and reverse engineered these original flashes into their own.

compatibility problems will arise when using an older 3rd party flash on a newer camera body.

not really related to your issue here but just FYI.

Yes its compatible to film Dynax Minolta A-mount cameras. But in digital world, the process of achieving exposure with flash ttl metering is different.