Flash help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakite

Jul 3, 2004
Singapore
Hia ll.. sorry if this has been asked b4 many many times, but where can i buy cheap flash for Nikon? I'm using the cP8700, and i'm not too sure wat flashes i can use with it...other den the sb-50dx or the sb-30 which the nikon site recomended.

and another noob qns, can i zoom my camera while the flash is attached?

can try sb22s

To use TTL with the 8700, you need SB-600 or SB-800 :)

ok i know this will sound even more noob... but ttl stands for through the lens rite? but wat does that mean?

it means flash metering is done through the lens. sensor reads and adjusts amount of flash as it comes through the lens, resulting in more accurate readings.

One thing to note.

Nikon Flash head will not do auto zoom when use on the Coolpix camera. Unlike when using on DSLR, flash will auto zoom when u zoom ur lens.

er... ok means if i'm using the nikon flash. say sb-600, and when i zoom my coolpix 8700, the flash head doesn't zoom with the camera? den why would i need ttl for then? :confused:

Malakite said:
er... ok means if i'm using the nikon flash. say sb-600, and when i zoom my coolpix 8700, the flash head doesn't zoom with the camera? den why would i need ttl for then? :confused:

Flash zoom and TTL are two different thing. When ur flash fired off, light reflected off from ur subject travel through the lens and hit the film or the CCD. The light will then reflected off from the film or CCD again to hit the light sensor. This sensor will measure the light and the camera will then decide when to cut off the flash.

The way light travel through the lens and pick up by the sensor is why we call TTL.

Found a link that u might like to read. http://www.moose395.net/howto/flash.html#ttl

ahhh icic... so if u buy a flash that does not support ttl... den how much flash to use is calculated by myself rite?

Malakite said:
ahhh icic... so if u buy a flash that does not support ttl... den how much flash to use is calculated by myself rite?

No. You don't need to calculate the flash power urself if you don't want. Like my coolpix 4500, it has a sensor near the flash, this sensor will measure the light but the light doesn't travel through the len, hence, non TTL.

aha! tks for ur patience... hehe i think i get it now
hehehehe

just use it on auto mode and set the same aperture value for both flash and camera..

hmm..there are quite a few modes for flash, ttl, auto, m.

for ttl, the flash takes aperture and iso reading directly from the camera. the flash will fire, bounce off target, goes thru lens and hit sensor. once sensor sense enough light, it will cut off flash.

for auto flash, u will need to set aperture and iso setting manually on the flash. the flash fires, bounce off target, goes back to sensor inside flash. once flash sense enough light it will cut off flash.

for manual, u calculate and set the power of the flash yourself, and then shoot.

most flash will be able to do auto flash, but u will need to set the aperture on the flash for it to work properly. skip manual flash, waste of time.

my advice, pick up a sb-600. not too expensive at ard $360+ new(considering a used sb28 cost $250, anything similar is still in the $200 range used), it can do everything u will ever need.

~MooEy~

ahhhh... many thanks to all the grand masters out there... i'm guessing the sb-600 is wat i should but la... but wat abt the sb-50dx?

plus... one big problem... i need the flash by 19th, but i dun have da cash to pay fer a new one... hahah die la... anywhere i can get a 2nd hand one?

Status
Not open for further replies.