Flash Flood In Orchard Road!

Quoting my friend:

"The Great Singapore SAIL is now on!"

i wonder what happen to all the cars parked in the basement of those shopping mall, i only know wisma is above ground multi-story type.

If they start engine while the level of water is above the exhaust, then need to overhaul the engine and change all the gasket, that Porsche is one example in the pic stuck and cannot move water inside compression chamber.

i wonder what happen to all the cars parked in the basement of those shopping mall, i only know wisma is above ground multi-story type.
Most modern building basement design incorporated a heavy duty waterpump to prevent flooding & especially for catastrophic event of biblical magnitute such as this hence you dun see the MRT get flooded but not sure some of these very old building in Orchard road

i can inmargin how much repair bill cost to repair their car
if they were lucky, prolly just upholstery damage in the cabin. otherwise, if the cylinders were flooded and electronics fried... well lets just say for lesser cars, might be a total loss

A deja vu of Nov 2009 :)

THURSDAY'S deluge which submerged parts of Bukit Timah was a 'freak' event that occurs once in 50 years, said Minister for the Environment and Water Resources Dr. Yaacob Ibrahim.

We have now 2 such event back to back Nov 2009 and now June 2010. Meaning there shouldn't be any such event in our life time if we based on once in every 50 years :)

which reminds me of the movie 2012, when the govner arnold said the worst is over.:sweatsm::sweatsm:

Boat ride along Orchard Road Singapore

Looks like SBS/TIBS has replaced their buses with boats to ferry passengers along Orchard Road.

Need to pay road tax and ERP ??? :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Wah, so serious?
Been in Vietnam since end May. The rain in Singapore now so power?

Need to pay road tax and ERP ??? :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Yup, new system, same acronym. Electronic River Pricing. Same rates, except now distance fare, the gantry is the whole river one.

Children & students got concession (50% of adult fare), cap at 58 cents.

that last flood was 500+ mm over 24 hours.

this was 100mm in 2 hours. definitely quite freaky.. if anything i won't be laughing at the authorities but reading up about increased incidences all over the world of this nature:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/floods/2010-03-30-flood-threat_N.htm

that's 256mm over 36 hours.

you can do the math yourself. no one likes this sort of thing to happen.

in some other online forums i noted strong outcries claiming that flooding was only to be expected in third world countries and we are a first world country, blah blah blah.

sad to say, this is only because people don't read the news, not because that is a fact:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/feb/28/flood-warning-storm-britain

Flooding-in-the-UK-001.jpg

unless of course, the uk has downgraded to become a third world country too.