Flash Flood In Orchard Road!

Thks antz for providing infor. I think fire insurance maybe including in their tenancy agreement. But what I know in some agreement, act of god there no claim. This flood is consider act of god right?

What will happen if the same amount of rain continue for the next 3 days?

Most modern building basement design incorporated a heavy duty waterpump to prevent flooding & especially for catastrophic event of biblical magnitute such as this hence you dun see the MRT get flooded but not sure some of these very old building in Orchard road

Heavy duty pump in basement - well, if there were, it would be used once in 50years or never at all. Actually, they only have a small pump to remove water from the carpark washing or some small water pipe leaks.

Event of biblical magnitute - it's called a Deluge.

MRT - you should have heard the PUB chap Mr Yap Kheng Guan explain how MRT tunnels and stations are unlikely to be flooded - just a simple ramp that acts as a dam, as simple as that. Well, private shopping malls and condo should have that. Simple, foolproof and maintenance free.......

LTA will point finger at URA, URA will point finger at PUB, PUB will point finger at the contractors, the contractor will point finger at litter bugs, litter bugs will point finger at the rain. So in the end, it's the rain fault. :D

Thks antz for providing infor. I think fire insurance maybe including in their tenancy agreement. But what I know in some agreement, act of god there no claim. This flood is consider act of god right?

What will happen if the same amount of rain continue for the next 3 days?

Yes flood is consider act of god.

If the rain continue for the next 3 days the likely claim will be from loss of profit/business interruption (BI) cover. I will said by the first day most of the assets and inventories are damaged. Therefore physical damage for the subsequent 2 days will be minimum but you can't do business for the 2 days. Again there is an excess/deductible for BI cover and it vary amount different policy.

NTUC Income got a full page advert today - they cover such event. Very smart move as this kind of event is supposed to come only once every 50years based on the kind of statistics from PUB as echoed by the Minister.

My next car insurance - I will switch to Income. :think:

LTA will point finger at URA, URA will point finger at PUB, PUB will point finger at the contractors, the contractor will point finger at litter bugs, litter bugs will point finger at the rain. So in the end, it's the rain fault. :D

Yah, "Blame It on the Rain" a song recorded by Milli Vanilli. :bsmilie:

According to NEA website, it's not high tide. In fact, at around 8 am, it was the lowest tide level at 0.0 meters! Hmm, so how can such a flash flood happen? :think:

http://app2.nea.gov.sg/tidetime.aspx

Ok I thought flood was partly due to high tide. If this is the case will be interested to know what happen.

Yes flood is consider act of god.

sorry ah... i thought flood is a result of heavy rain no? so how can it be an act of God? and why flooding occurs probably it's due to the incapabilities of the drainage system to handle such high volume of water no? sorry again... i want to just clarify whether flooding is considered an act of God.

if it is... then how about the Hoover Dam gave way and flooding occurs... does this flooding still considered an act of God? i just want to get the term 'act of God' right lah... :)

so if flood is really considered an act of God, then i'm sure there must be two scenarios; flooding by God and flooding by man. the insurance companies would then have to consider which they cover and which they don't... hahaha.

wow shiok retributuion for too much urbanisation in sg, I will go there look for kingfishers diving into the orchard RIVER

Most modern building basement design incorporated a heavy duty waterpump to prevent flooding & especially for catastrophic event of biblical magnitute such as this hence you dun see the MRT get flooded but not sure some of these very old building in Orchard road

Really, if the pumps installed in the MRT stations had to be activated, the system will be interrupted and/or damaged already. The reason why water don't get into the stations is because all entrances are designed higher than its surroundings. Ever wonder why you need to climb a few steps at the entrances before getting to the escalators?

NTUC Income got a full page advert today - they cover such event. Very smart move as this kind of event is supposed to come only once every 50years based on the kind of statistics from PUB as echoed by the Minister.

My next car insurance - I will switch to Income. :think:

You believe in advertisement? :bsmilie::sweatsm::bsmilie::sweatsm:

..once every 50years ....? It might well be once very 50 days from now!

"once in every 50 years" is a term to describe the severity and probability of the flood. It does not literaly means this kind of flood will happen once in exactly every 50 years apart.

no wander less cars were seen on the basement of hdb carpark around my area :bsmilie:

Hi,

flooding caused by heavy rain, yes, act of God.

flooding caused by Dam giving way, more like negligent, this will be under law of tout (any lawyer can clarify ?).

sorry ah... i thought flood is a result of heavy rain no? so how can it be an act of God? and why flooding occurs probably it's due to the incapabilities of the drainage system to handle such high volume of water no? sorry again... i want to just clarify whether flooding is considered an act of God.

if it is... then how about the Hoover Dam gave way and flooding occurs... does this flooding still considered an act of God? i just want to get the term 'act of God' right lah... :)

so if flood is really considered an act of God, then i'm sure there must be two scenarios; flooding by God and flooding by man. the insurance companies would then have to consider which they cover and which they don't... hahaha.

wonder if that baby t-rex was roaming there yesterday :) .. Flood + Dinosaur =???

Hi,

flooding caused by heavy rain, yes, act of God.

flooding caused by Dam giving way, more like negligent, this will be under law of tout (any lawyer can clarify ?).

ok... that's one way of seeing things. still need clarifications so the insurance companies don't screw us over.

btw, it's 'Tort' and not 'Tout' ;)

Yup, don't think the Merlion was claimable when it got struck by lightning neither was the tree that fell outside Istana. Anyway, can't help but to expect better drainage system and maintainence since we only have a total 687 km² of land space.

ok... that's one way of seeing things. still need clarifications so the insurance companies don't screw us over.

btw, it's 'Tort' and not 'Tout' ;)

hee hee, thanks for the correction :)

Yup, you are right in mentioning that clarification need to be sought from the Insurance CO, they have good lawyers that can turn black into white :p so must be very explicit on the T&C and definations ...