flash enquire..

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireZ

Deregistered
Sep 21, 2008
I know by posting this question..
some will start flaming..asking me to do a search n read up..

first of all..i did read up...but can't really derive the ans..

so..my question is :

assuming camera is in landscape shooting position...wif flash on it..the flash head pointing forward which itself will do the Ettl calculation for the amount of flash..rite?

but when i do bouncing, facing upward... does the ETTL still automatically calculating for me? or m i suppose to go into manual mode to manually select the flash output power?

also... i got this flash which i won't want to mention the brand as not to affect ppl sale...
basically...when i'm doing off shoe(using my pop up to b commander).., i set the flash to output 1/1 (which is full power) but the flash power turns out to be equal with the lowest output ratio...
i did a test too...saem ratio (full power) on both the flash on the hot shoe n off the hot shoe... The flash on the hot shoe does produce powerful flash compare wif off shoe. tested on the object with both on and off hot shoe measureing the same distant..

did check with the seller n basically..i really dun understand wat he toking...hence wondering... is it normal to original brand too? or jus this 3rd party flash i'm using which is **** up?..

kindly assist me ya..
thanks a million!
cheers!:)

so let me get this straight, the off cam flash is doesn't have any effect whatsover on your exposure? You're triggering via optical means of the pop up, the flash may be fooled by the E-TTL pre-flashes that it emits.. Try doing a FEL before popping the popup to trigger your flash..

so let me get this straight, the off cam flash is doesn't have any effect whatsover on your exposure? You're triggering via optical means of the pop up, the flash may be fooled by the E-TTL pre-flashes that it emits.. Try doing a FEL before popping the popup to trigger your flash..

hihi..
"the off cam flash is doesn't have any effect whatsover on your exposure?"
yaya..sort of...or perhaps..is like...1/16 power even though i put it on 1/1....

"You're triggering via optical means of the pop up, the flash may be fooled by the E-TTL pre-flashes that it emits"
huh?!... my external flash is off flash, and settin it manually will also be fool? isn't that, manual mode will be totally base on my setting that i input in the external falsh?

pardon my knowledge ya..

cheers!

yea its a problem of synchronisation, but you're built in flash is still E-TTL.. it emits a pre-flash to enable it to meter before firing for the determined exposure, your ext flash would see that pre-flash and fire its own flash prematurely before the shutter curtains open.. doing a FEL forces the built in to fire the preflash and meter, so the final exposure would be a singular flash and would properly sync with your ext flash.. or if your ext flash has a function to ignore the preflash, that would be another solution..

but when i do bouncing, facing upward... does the ETTL still automatically calculating for me? or m i suppose to go into manual mode to manually select the flash output power?
As long as the flashgun (assuming you're using Canon flashguns) is set to ETTL mode, it will fire using ETTL regardless of head position. However, zoom will be at a fixed position (50mm I think) when head is not at home (forward) position.

No idea bout your other problem though. When I set my flashguns to M, it will fire to whatever power I set whether or not it's mounted on camera or off-shoe. That said, I use only radio triggers, no IR or commander triggers.

Actually, to make things easier, just say the brand name la, users who own it may be able to help you easier.

Last edited:
yea its a problem of synchronisation, but you're built in flash is still E-TTL.. it emits a pre-flash to enable it to meter before firing for the determined exposure, your ext flash would see that pre-flash and fire its own flash prematurely before the shutter curtains open.. doing a FEL forces the built in to fire the preflash and meter, so the final exposure would be a singular flash and would properly sync with your ext flash.. or if your ext flash has a function to ignore the preflash, that would be another solution..

icic...ya hoh...coz everything i c through the view finder..didn't notice tat..perhaps my external flash nid time to recharge too?!....
thanks for the tips bro!!!

As long as the flashgun (assuming you're using Canon flashguns) is set to ETTL mode, it will fire using ETTL regardless of head position. However, zoom will be at a fixed position (50mm I think) when head is not at home (forward) position.

No idea bout your other problem though. When I set my flashguns to M, it will fire to whatever power I set whether or not it's mounted on camera or off-shoe. That said, I use only radio triggers, no IR or commander triggers.

Actually, to make things easier, just say the brand name la, users who own it may be able to help you easier.

"However, zoom will be at a fixed position (50mm I think) when head is not at home (forward) position."
ya...mines, the zoom head will b at 50mm (though i dun really understand how the zoom..sad..more to learn..;))

as for "No idea bout your other problem though. When I set my flashguns to M, it will fire to whatever power I set whether or not it's mounted on camera or off-shoe. That said, I use only radio triggers, no IR or commander triggers."
I think bro J-Chan assisted me in that...

thz a lot!!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.