Flash advice for D70s

Status
Not open for further replies.
For aircraft, if u are taking of those on static display where u can come close then wider zooms are enough, so your 18-70 would be ok. If u are taking them in a flying display then the longest zoom u can afford. The 70-200 with a 1.4, 1.7 or 2.0 TC may be a good flexible combination. U will need about 400mm to 1000mm or so for decent close shots of military aircraft in flight. If large airline type 200 to 400 mm may be sufficient. It depends on where u are positoned and what type of aircraft u are shooting. Bear in mind that u will be hand holding your camera and lens so think carefully of getting a heavy combination. I'd seen a pro using a 600mm on a D1X. He can hardly hold it up for more than 2-3 mins each time. He's probably shaking when he holds it too. His combination is better with a monopod at least.

Have fun with the kit lens first, it has a useful range. Once u are clearer of how and what u do shoot for specific needs then u can get the right range of lens for your needs.

kingpin said:
For aircraft, if u are taking of those on static display where u can come close then wider zooms are enough, so your 18-70 would be ok. If u are taking them in a flying display then the longest zoom u can afford. The 70-200 with a 1.4, 1.7 or 2.0 TC may be a good flexible combination. U will need about 400mm to 1000mm or so for decent close shots of military aircraft in flight. If large airline type 200 to 400 mm may be sufficient. It depends on where u are positoned and what type of aircraft u are shooting. Bear in mind that u will be hand holding your camera and lens so think carefully of getting a heavy combination. I'd seen a pro using a 600mm on a D1X. He can hardly hold it up for more than 2-3 mins each time. He's probably shaking when he holds it too. His combination is better with a monopod at least.

Have fun with the kit lens first, it has a useful range. Once u are clearer of how and what u do shoot for specific needs then u can get the right range of lens for your needs.

Advice noted. Thanks.

My colleague just gave me a Nikon AF 80-200 1:4.5~5.6 D. It seems to work with the D70s except that I cannot bring the zoom back to 80. There seems to be some resistance when trying to turn from 105 to 80. It stays in the 105 to 200 range. Is it damaged? Thanks.

espn said:
Well, for those that might have missed the original post of my D70 performing at portraits

- http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=118404
- http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=118560

Put your effort into it, a $1400 DSLR also can give amazing images. :)

Oh yeah, all with 50mm f/1.8 ;p an el-cheapo LOUSY $170+ glass ;p

wah....Nikonking...PRO shots.... :thumbsup:
thanks for sharing...
You will forever be my idol.........

espn said:
Well, for those that might have missed the original post of my D70 performing at portraits

- http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=118404
- http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=118560

Put your effort into it, a $1400 DSLR also can give amazing images. :)

Oh yeah, all with 50mm f/1.8 ;p an el-cheapo LOUSY $170+ glass ;p

The series one was interesting, very creative... :thumbsup:

What is the $170 glass? :)

mechplas said:
Thanks guys. Got my D70s kits just now. Ordered the SLK pro340DX and SB800 also. Next up would be one of the following lenses....still thinking :confused: :

1. 70-200mm f/2.8 G ED $3192
2. 80 - 400mm f4.5~5.6 D ED $2604
3. 300mm f4 G ED $1957.2
4. 75 - 240mm f4.5~5.6 D $231

I've just got myself a Nikkor lens 70-300mm f4/5.6D ED for $620 at MS Color. It's pretty good in shooting clear and sharp pictures. Don't get any G lenses becuz it can cause lotsa distortions. Hope my info helps. :)

:bsmilie:

Mezzotint said:
I've just got myself a Nikkor lens 70-300mm f4/5.6D ED for $620 at MS Color. It's pretty good in shooting clear and sharp pictures. Don't get any G lenses becuz it can cause lotsa distortions. Hope my info helps. :)
:thumbsup: Best comment I've seen so far.

markccm said:
oh mine...

that means my 70-200mm VR which is a G lens has lots of distortion?? :eek:
Wow markccm got PRO G len :bigeyes:

syrinx said:
Oh dear.... should I be worried? :think: :eek: :eek: :bsmilie:
syrinx, time to upgrade all to non-G lenses ;) The easy solution out.

mechplas said:
Thank you everyone for your opinions. I am also sure that the 70-200mm VR would be a good choice.

My application varies.

1. Taking landed properties and condominums
2. Aircrafts

This may be OT. App 1 seems interesting to me, are you a land surveyor ???

jeffhiew said:
This may be OT. App 1 seems interesting to me, are you a land surveyor ???

I am in the building construction line.
Some of the amatuer pictures taken with the kit lens in P mode. I guess the wide angle lens are better suited for these type of application....me thinks.

Bad day, cloudy, no sky at all....
Picture 1

This one a bit better...Picture 2

If you're using it for business.. I suggest 17-35 and/or 85 TS len.

So G lens no good....

Should i get the 70-300 F4-5.6?
Coz my 70-200 F2.8 VR no good. (its a G lens)

Status
Not open for further replies.