Film recommendation


Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladin

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
723
2
0
47
SGP
Visit site
#1
Will be going to the " Disney On Ice"..wanna to take some shots..using my EOS300..can anyone recommend any film that will be suitable for this kind of low light environment? Cannot use flash...prohibited.
 

#2
Originally posted by Paladin
Will be going to the " Disney On Ice"..wanna to take some shots..using my EOS300..can anyone recommend any film that will be suitable for this kind of low light environment? Cannot use flash...prohibited.
Fuji Press 800. $6.50 at Foto Guide. If necessary, push it to 1600 (just set your ISO to 1600 and tell the lab to push one stop). Be careful of underexposure due to the mass of white ice. Compensate +1 stop. Light might be a problem, distance might be a problem, so beg borrow buy or steal a Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L (IS) USM or Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. :D

Regards
CK
 

Paladin

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
723
2
0
47
SGP
Visit site
#3
Originally posted by ckiang


Fuji Press 800. $6.50 at Foto Guide. If necessary, push it to 1600 (just set your ISO to 1600 and tell the lab to push one stop). Be careful of underexposure due to the mass of white ice. Compensate +1 stop. Light might be a problem, distance might be a problem, so beg borrow buy or steal a Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L (IS) USM or Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. :D

Regards
CK
Got the 300mm zoom that comes with the kit. The best that I have...or maybe CK you wanna lend me??;p
 

Paladin

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
723
2
0
47
SGP
Visit site
#8
Originally posted by ckiang


Ok, $100 a day, $1500 deposit. :p

Regards
CK
Wah..daylight robbery!!! On a serious note, what is the concept of pushing the 800 to 1600? Can explain?
 

M

Mouse

Guest
#9
Pushed film behaves like a film of that speed. However, due to the tolerance level of the film, you may expect more grain, poorer colour and less contrast.
 

#10
Originally posted by Paladin


Wah..daylight robbery!!! On a serious note, what is the concept of pushing the 800 to 1600? Can explain?
Well, that lens cost me $1680, if you run away with it how? :p

Anyway, pushing simply means to set your camera to the desired ISO rating (which will be higher than the film's). Then you tell the lab to "push" the film to that rating you've set.

E.g. to push Press 800 to 1600, set your camera to 1600. Shoot as usual, then go to the lab (don't bother going neighbourhood labs) and ask them to "push one stop" or "push to 1600".

Expect more grain, poorer colour, etc. Contrast also increases, so you lose shadow/highlight detail as well.

Regards
CK
 

Paladin

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
723
2
0
47
SGP
Visit site
#11
My impression is if you push to 1600 with a 800 film, you are telling the camera that you are having a 1600 film when you actually have 800. The camera will them meter everthing at 1600 setting. Won't that make the taken shots underexpose?? a little bit confuse here.....
 

#12
Originally posted by Paladin
My impression is if you push to 1600 with a 800 film, you are telling the camera that you are having a 1600 film when you actually have 800. The camera will them meter everthing at 1600 setting. Won't that make the taken shots underexpose?? a little bit confuse here.....
You WILL be underexposing one stop. That's why you tell the lab to "push" the film one stop (VERY important). They will alter their film processing to make that 800 film into 1600. Of coz, there ain't nothing as a free lunch, so you have to contend with grain, increase in contrast, poorer colours, etc. as a side effect.

Pushed Press 800 (@1600) looks something like this:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=822

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=823


Regards
CK
 

Snowcrash

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,537
0
0
Western SG
Visit site
#13
Originally posted by ckiang


E.g. to push Press 800 to 1600, set your camera to 1600. Shoot as usual, then go to the lab (don't bother going neighbourhood labs) and ask them to "push one stop" or "push to 1600".

Expect more grain, poorer colour, etc. Contrast also increases, so you lose shadow/highlight detail as well.

Regards
CK
I just shot Fuji xtra 400 on 800 ISO manual setting. So which Lab do you recommend that know how to "push one stop"??

I tried asking the neighbourhood Lab... they say "huh??" when I mentioned it. Don't want to ruin this roll of film as it contain shots of my friend's wedding!!!
 

#14
Originally posted by Snowcrash


I just shot Fuji xtra 400 on 800 ISO manual setting. So which Lab do you recommend that know how to "push one stop"??

I tried asking the neighbourhood Lab... they say "huh??" when I mentioned it. Don't want to ruin this roll of film as it contain shots of my friend's wedding!!!
Try Colour Lab Photo Finishing at Adelphi.

Regards
CK
 

#16
Originally posted by Snowcrash
What time do they open until?

Me work quite far away from city area...:(
10am to 7:30pm on weekdays,
10am to 4:30pm on Saturdays,
closed on Sundays/Public Holidays.

Forgot to mention, they have a $5 surcharge for push processing. You can also try Konota at Penisula Shopping Centre (which I have no experience with).

Regards
CK
 

Edmund

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
2,346
0
36
44
Singapore
eoslightbox.com
#19
Originally posted by Ninja
What happen if I had shot half of a 400 iso film rated at 400, then decided to rate it at 800 for the rest of the film ? Is it possible to push if I do that?
Theoretically yes, but processing labs won't do that for you (i.e. they will not cut the film to the frame you specify and process each part separately). So the answer is NO, you must use the entire roll at whatever rating you have set it at from the beginning.
 

#20
Originally posted by Ninja
What happen if I had shot half of a 400 iso film rated at 400, then decided to rate it at 800 for the rest of the film ? Is it possible to push if I do that?
I sure hope you have not done that yet, coz you're in big trouble if you do. For pushing, you can only push the whole roll, not half-half.

If you push half, the results you get back will be half underexposed. not good.

Regards
CK
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom