Film Development

Film development

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nature88

Apr 20, 2009
Bishan
Hi all,

I am new to RF and film photography. Previously I have an compact RF and now I decided to invest in a interchangeable lens RF. This means that no more digital and will be moving to film photography. I have the intention to develop my own negatives, yet worrying about screwing up the precious shots.

There is a question in my mind all these while regarding to film photography. Do you guys self develop your negatives or no? Why so?

yes. short answer:

a. cheaper to develop than have it professionally done

b. the quality, in many cases, is better than professional development

c. it is convenient and easy to self-develop

longer version:

a. there is a one-time investment for film development. roughly.

100 for bag, tank and measuring cylinder + thermometer
Another 50 - 60 for developer (HC110 or D76), fixer and infosol

Then there is a 200-300$ investment in a film scanner (Canon V8800 is an inexpensive option under $250 used).

If you intend to shoot often, it makes to make this investment. I am into roll 215 since Feb this year, it would have $15 x 215 = aprox 3k if I had it professionally developed and scanned.

b. film development is an art & science, so the ability to pair film emulsion + film developer is great way to manipulate the look. Most developer evolve around Grain, Sharpness and Shadow details.

film.jpg

Most shops either do D76 or standard C-41 (Chromogenic) film developer. So the options are limited. What is worse is that many of the C-41 1 hour shops have very bad chemicals because their volume is low. As the result, many of the photos come out "muddy".

c. Convenient and easy to self develop.

Yesterday saturday, I had 3 friends over my place to learn how to do B&W development. Another 2 friends helped out, and the 3 newbies managed to develop by themselves a roll of film each. All within 2 hours. It is that convenient to self-develop. As I write this, I have already developed 4 rolls this PM, one in HC-110 and the other in D-76 and I am waiting for the reels to dry before I develop one roll of XP-2 in Rodinal.

It is fun and I encourage you to jump with both feet in. get a friend who knows about film development to help out, it is richly rewarding ;)

raytoei

yes. short answer:

longer version:

Then there is a 200-300$ investment in a film scanner (Canon V8800 is an inexpensive option under $250 used).

If you intend to shoot often, it makes to make this investment. I am into roll 215 since Feb this year, it would have $15 x 215 = aprox 3k if I had it professionally developed and scanned.

b. film development is an art & science, so the ability to pair film emulsion + film developer is great way to manipulate the look. Most developer evolve around Grain, Sharpness and Shadow details.

film.jpg

Most shops either do D76 or standard C-41 (Chromogenic) film developer. So the options are limited. What is worse is that many of the C-41 1 hour shops have very bad chemicals because their volume is low. As the result, many of the photos come out "muddy".

Yesterday saturday, I had 3 friends over my place to learn how to do B&W development. Another 2 friends helped out, and the 3 newbies managed to develop by themselves a roll of film each. All within 2 hours. It is that convenient to self-develop. As I write this, I have already developed 4 rolls this PM, one in HC-110 and the other in D-76 and I am waiting for the reels to dry before I develop one roll of XP-2 in Rodinal.

It is fun and I encourage you to jump with both feet in. get a friend who knows about film development to help out, it is richly rewarding ;)

raytoei

great explanation :thumbsup:

My suggestion for beginning your own development is to shoot a test roll and learn to develop your own film using that. In this way you won't feel heart pain if you mess up while developing the roll. When you are confident of your development technique then you can self develop the important rolls yourself.

I'm sure most of us started out this way.

Last edited:
yes. short answer:

longer version:

film.jpg

raytoei

Thanks for the explanation Raytoei. I do have the intention to self developing my negatives but I do not really shoot more than a roll per week or most is 2 rolls. So am thinking about self development for fun although screwing up important shots hold me back. Because I have seen a thread that uses "cold development" explained by CS user StreetShooter. Seems interesting thought. But chemicals can not be kept for long. So yea. :(

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45612

My suggestion for beginning your own development is to shoot a test roll and learn to develop your own film using that. In this way you won't feel heart pain if you mess up while developing the roll. When you are confident of your development technique then you can self develop the important rolls yourself.

I'm sure most of us started out this way.

Yea. That was what I intend to do. Means starting need to churn out some film. Meantime Im planning out my budget for all the items. Seems like over budget already. :s

P.S: Btw anyone here have mess up the negatives during DIY before? :bigeyes:

No mess up no learn. ;)

haha.. agreed.. Once, I didn't lock the developer tank top properly and while inverting, the top along with the film just dropped out.. haha.. ended up with foggy film..that said, if you don't watch tv while developing I don't think it is very hard to go wrong.. there is quite a bit of tolerance the manufacturers gives.. so its not as bad or precise as you think.. Its no harder than a secondary sch chem lab experiment...

No mess up no learn. ;)

No mess up no learn. Mess up mum scold jialut. :bsmilie:

haha.. agreed.. Once, I didn't lock the developer tank top properly and while inverting, the top along with the film just dropped out.. haha.. ended up with foggy film..that said, if you don't watch tv while developing I don't think it is very hard to go wrong.. there is quite a bit of tolerance the manufacturers gives.. so its not as bad or precise as you think.. Its no harder than a secondary sch chem lab experiment...

I see. Cause I have been researching online and most guides did mention about timing and temperature. Maybe will try it out and see how is the result if manufacturer did give tolerance.

Err... my living room no basin. So can not develop my negatives in the living room. Hence mess up due to TV is... can say zero. :bsmilie:

Btw just a curious question. Your those negatives after dropping out did you continue to develop it? Can it still be seen visually? As in the shots. :sweatsm:

Last edited:
No mess up no learn. Mess up mum scold jialut. :bsmilie:

I see. Cause I have been researching online and most guides did mention about timing and temperature. Maybe will try it out and see how is the result if manufacturer did give tolerance.

Err... my living room no basin. So can not develop my negatives in the living room. Hence mess up due to TV is... can say zero. :bsmilie:

Btw just a curious question. Your those negatives after dropping out did you continue to develop it? Can it still be seen visually? As in the shots. :sweatsm:

It dropped out after development and before fixing.. so it got a little fogged.. I still fixed it anyway.. Can see a little of the image la.. but very low contrast..

Of course try your best to keep to the recommended timings and temperature if you want the best result.

I shoot only about one roll a week and still find it more economical in the long run to do my own development. You can take the initial investment in equipment and divide it by the cost of sending film to the lab to find te break-even point, although the hidden costs are your time and water supply used for development. But to me, the quality and satisfaction make up for it.

Another thing in my case at least is that if I shoot more than one roll a week, I will inevitably end up with a backlog of rolls to be developed or else not have time to scan everything.

Last edited:

thanks for the chart, was useful!

Nature88 said:
There is a question in my mind all these while regarding to film photography. Do you guys self develop your negatives or no? Why so?
Yep, self developed B&W negatives + scanning at home.

Self developing is fast & easy & I'm in full control of the film. If it screws up, you can only blame yourself really. Just like shooting manual photography, if the shot screws up, its really yourself than the camera to be blamed.
Developing B&W takes me about 1/2hour or maybe less, depending on film.

So far, I've done about 80+ rolls of self developing but still sometimes screw up happens like using exhausted developers :embrass:

Then again, like what the rest have pointed out, no screw ups, no lesson learn.

kgston said:
:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

the one which took me a long time to figure out what's wrong is "milky" negatives.... finally figured that it was exhausted fixer....

I have also just decided to shoot film, so was wondering where i can go to learn about processing film myself.

If there is anyone willing to show me, i would really appreciate it. :)

Besides Ruby photo, where else can i get film development chemicals?
What type of chemical you are looking for?
Those company that I know of, Hmmmm all go back home and sleep liow:):)

another easy ;)way is buy on line. However certain liquid item not able to ship by air. I long pang friend cargo to singapore.

What type of chemical you are looking for?
Those company that I know of, Hmmmm all go back home and sleep liow:):)

another easy ;)way is buy on line. However certain liquid item not able to ship by air. I long pang friend cargo to singapore.
The chemicals for developing B&W like HC-110, T-Max, etc.
I know that C-41 for colour developing is difficult to find.

By, the way can anyone suggest which B&W developer is good (one that is good, cheap and can last longest). Thanks.

there are many online places to buy your film, developers.. just search the boards. I usually buy my film in bulk and my developers in powder is usually gotten overseas. Unfortunately, this is a commitment rather than an impulse buy.

The most compatible developer is D-76, all films can develop in D-76. in terms of preservation, Rodinal, HC-110 are pretty good for storage.

hope this helps

Been processing E-6 chemistry and B & W for some time.

B & W use Ilford DDX+ and get good results in my 50 year old Essex tank (Daylight loading 35mm film), Primarily shoot Ilford HP5, FP4 and Fuji ACROS with excellent results. 16mm, 110 and 120 films processed in the Jobo CPE processor tank at room temperature.

E-6 use Fuji Hunt chemistry 6 bath process in a Jobo CPE film processor to control temperature to the requirement of the chemistry (+ or - 0.3ºC)

I scan 35mm B & W negs or E-6 transparencies with a Minolta Dual Scan IV and post process the negatives in Colorperfect with good results. My 16mm films and 110 films are processed in the same way but I have not found a better way to digitise then than using a Macro set up on my E-510 with either the 35mm E series macro lens or for 10 x 14mm images an Zuiko 50mm macro lens (OM series) on a 25mm extension tube.

B & W chemistry is relatively easy to obtain here in Singapore, the Fuji Hunt chemistry I bring back from UK when I go there on leave.