Noob question : photo developing from film like in those movies

alamakazam

Oct 16, 2006

The guy will go inside the dark room, put paper into chemical, shake shake the photo will appear

Now still have such thing?

I see those develop film, say only develop and scan... Doesn't say print to paper... Even they have it, I think is a digital scan of negative then print the digital scan.... Am I right?

The guy will go inside the dark room, put paper into chemical, shake shake the photo will appear

Now still have such thing?

I see those develop film, say only develop and scan... Doesn't say print to paper... Even they have it, I think is a digital scan of negative then print the digital scan.... Am I right?

Yes you are right, film is scanned and printed digitally. You want to DIY the traditional black and white print is it? Like this..well you need an enlarger, developing chemicals , photo paper and a darkroom.

Yes you are right, film is scanned and printed digitally. You want to DIY the traditional black and white print is it? Like this..well you need an enlarger, developing chemicals , photo paper and a darkroom.

wah hard siah DIY...

anyway still got such service in sg?

wah hard siah DIY...

anyway still got such service in sg?
Not sure but you can try, there is a small shop in chinatown area or around fook hai building. It's a small old shop that sells film and 2nd. hand cameras and lenses. I don't know if they print digitally or still use those old commercial bulk printers. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Reactions: alamakazam
if you want to learn how to print, there are a few places you can enquire - LaSalle, Nafa (some of these courses can use skillsfuture credit). otherwise, you can drop a message to Deck.SG or SAFRA photography club. they do offer some courses. i learnt my darkroom printing from SAFRA.

learning how to develop your own film is not that difficult. just need a lot of patience to trial and error. learning to print.. that takes a bit of learning curve. but if it is just a straightforward printing, probably 2-3 lessons will do. it is all the finer skills like burning & dodging that take a lifetime to master. but that's the beauty of darkroom printing.