FAQ: rolleicord

Status
Not open for further replies.

blak

Apr 23, 2004
i just bought a rolleicord today and i realise there is this lever with a red dot on the left side of the TLR, could someone tell me what is that? i'm a total amateur. do i really need a light meter reader to get the right exposure? or can i use a digicam to do my light reading? oh and what does ASA and DIN means? the numbers are too confusing. i haven't touched a film camera before.please help me? if have a chance treat you to coffee. :)

issit a lever pointing to a X M or something ?might be the sync speed lever to choose whether u are using a bulb flash or a electronic flash.
wad lens does it comes with ?my rolleicord VB comes with a 75mm F3.5 Xenar..
ASA is the equivalent of ISO today,Din is the european or american stand used last time..there should be a graphic table on the back to match the ASA setting to tell u the appropriate aperture to use,just match the ASA/din marking by selecting the f stop and shutter speed on the small window on the side after u gauge the scene on the back..quite hard to explain by online..u can use the meter on ur digicam and run a test roll thru it and see if the reading is accurate enuff lor..

there is a method to check ur angle of view without looking in ur groundglass.
flip open the viewing box,hold it up ur eyes,use ur finger to push the front part of the viewing box down lying on the groundglass and look thru the small hole on the side ur eyes is facing.that is the approx.. angle of view ur camera is now aiming.
hope i didn't confuse u..

thanks for answering. :) ya same, it's the xenar... 75mm f3.5. the lever is just beside the lens actually. and why is the iso speed 320,500 but i think i'm using 400 films, then how? that angle of view is actually for infinity (according to the owner). i don't know what's it for la. just trigger happy. i'm like using my third roll anyhow. need at least two days to develop the photos ey.. do you know anywhere that does express service for 120 ? like in an hour? can i process them into digital files instead of prints?

Hi,

Good to see another TLR user here. The whiteface Rolleis are more rare and thus very collectible. Therefore its value is normally much higher than the non-white face ones.

For more info on the Rolleis, you could check out Torbjorn Aase's website. You can check the year of production for your cam. There is also a on-line manual for you to read/download.

Check it out!

http://www.foto.no/rolleiflex/

A review of the Rollei on photo.net

http://www.photo.net/equipment/rollei/tlr

For processing of films to digital files,try sunset way, clementi. There are two shops-1) Kodak Lab, 2) Fujilab. The choice is yours

One way is to shoot slides and get the processed at RGB b4 12noon,u can get it the same day and u get positive images instead of negative.

Or shoot B&W and learn to develop urself,ready in 30mins~!can do a contact printing if u like darkroom..

jodie_tan said:
For processing of films to digital files,try sunset way, clementi. There are two shops-1) Kodak Lab, 2) Fujilab. The choice is yours

hello jodie. how have you been? clementi's too far.. anything near town?

kex said:
One way is to shoot slides and get the processed at RGB b4 12noon,u can get it the same day and u get positive images instead of negative.

Or shoot B&W and learn to develop urself,ready in 30mins~!can do a contact printing if u like darkroom..

they told me not to shoot slides first since i'm still struggling with the right exposures. i'll try it out soon anyway. :) is it difficult to make your own darkroom? have you watch shutter. so scary.

for developing,u only need a dark bag,developing container,measuring container and the chemicals,no need a physical darkroom for developing.

for contact printing or enlargement, u will need a darkroom with a safe lamp..

i'm fine....btw, why r u shooting film?It's not gonna to be easy since you've been shooting digital. Be prepard to spend. Up to date, I've got 30 rolls of unprocessed films

jodie_tan said:
i'm fine....btw, why r u shooting film?It's not gonna to be easy since you've been shooting digital. Be prepard to spend. Up to date, I've got 30 rolls of unprocessed films

yea i know. but there are just some things digital can't give.

Glad that you know that. My current unused film stand stands at 3 b/ws and 4 colour slides. Can give all those shops which seem pretty small or rundown a try. Their prices might be cheaper.If not, go to Ruby or Konota. These two guys process b/w films

blak said:
i just bought a rolleicord today and i realise there is this lever with a red dot on the left side of the TLR, could someone tell me what is that? i'm a total amateur. do i really need a light meter reader to get the right exposure? or can i use a digicam to do my light reading? lastly i paid 700 bucks for it, could it be too expensive? i don't know the model though, but it's a white faced one (according to the owner). i promise i won't cry over spilled milk, anyone just let me know? oh and what does ASA and DIN means? the numbers are too confusing. i haven't touched a film camera before.please help me? if have a chance treat you to coffee. :)

When facing the camera from the front, the lever of the left is the timer cum flash sync speed selector (X-for electronic flash and M for flashbulb). The one on the right with the red dot is the multiple exposure lever. Shifting the lever will allow you to charge the shutter multiple times w/o advancing the frame.

I recommend picking up a handheld analog meter with EV readout. It makes the camera much easier to use. You don't have to worry about f-stop and shutter speeds - Just plug in the EV setting.

You can also perform quick averaging calculations. Just meter the highlights and shadows, sum the EV values and divide by the number of readings. e.g. Take the EV reading of the highlights (EV=12), then take the EV reading of the shadows (EV=8). Sum the readings (8+12=20)/2 = 10. The average is 10. Plug that value into the camera and shoot. Simple isn't it?

Depending on the condition of the camera, $700 for white face Vb is ok. Who sold it to you?

ASA stands for American Standards Association. It is the same as the ISO standard we are familiar with today wrt to film sensitivity. So ASA100 = ISO100. DIN is just another old standard that is no longer used.

blak said:
thanks for answering. :) ya same, it's the xenar... 75mm f3.5. the lever is just beside the lens actually. and why is the iso speed 320,500 but i think i'm using 400 films, then how? that angle of view is actually for infinity (according to the owner). i don't know what's it for la. just trigger happy. i'm like using my third roll anyhow. need at least two days to develop the photos ey.. do you know anywhere that does express service for 120 ? like in an hour? can i process them into digital files instead of prints?

Don't worry about the film speed selector on the camera. It is only an indicator to tell you the speed of the film loaded. As there isn't a meter built into the camera, it does nothing else.

It is more important to make sure that the film speed selector on your handheld meter is set to the speed of the film you are using in the camera.

Try Konota - they can process and scan direct onto CD.

Tetrode said:
Don't worry about the film speed selector on the camera. It is only an indicator to tell you the speed of the film loaded. As there isn't a meter built into the camera, it does nothing else.

It is more important to make sure that the film speed selector on your handheld meter is set to the speed of the film you are using in the camera.

Try Konota - they can process and scan direct onto CD.

:thumbsup: thanks! great help. i'll go get the handheld meter soon. i got my first few rolls of films developed. they turned out great. recently i learned about processing my own b/w film from about.com. i hope it'll save me alot of time and money, i can't wait to get my developing tank and changing bag and developers and stopbaths and fixers and stuffs like that. any one here can show me the ropes before i start investing and making a mess in my toilet?

blak said:
:thumbsup: thanks! great help. i'll go get the handheld meter soon. i got my first few rolls of films developed. they turned out great. recently i learned about processing my own b/w film from about.com. i hope it'll save me alot of time and money, i can't wait to get my developing tank and changing bag and developers and stopbaths and fixers and stuffs like that. any one here can show me the ropes before i start investing and making a mess in my toilet?

Yes, it is fun to do your own processing and developing.
An better alternative is to join SAFRA as a member and signup for their B/W processing course.

Upon completion of the course, you will be allowed to use their darkroom to not only process but to print your B/W negs in their new lab FOC. The lab is in their new building at Telok Blangah. They just bought all new equipment for it too. e.g. enlargers.

Status
Not open for further replies.