F1 Singtel Singapore Grandprix

tecnica

Dec 26, 2004
hi all, i seriously have no idea where to post this question.

as we all know, F1 Singapore GP is around the corner and i am blessed to have this opportunity to have a go at this event.

but i really have no idea where are the better spots to camp for photos as the last time i was at F1, was 2008 with just a normal walkabout ticket(did not bring camera also).

so i am just looking for advices to narrow down the better spots in order to maximise this special experience.

from what i have searched, it seemed like turn 2, 5, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 are good/popular spots.

but i seriously do not think that i can cover so many spots at one go(only 2hrs). :(

i got a ticket which provides me with access to paddock club and all zones.

kinda stress now and still troubling over the best spots.

here is a simple map i got from googling:
singapore-track.jpg

and if you need to know, i am bringing these with me:
550D + 70-200L f4 IS
7D + 100-400L IS
10-22 for some wide angle shots

not sure want to bring E-M5 + Pany 20/f1.7 with me or not as i only have 2 hands to handle everything. :sweat:

appreciate any constructive advice, thanks.

Sorry boss... All good spots will be the same as last year (see previous photo threads) and will be choped by people as early as possible. Not many people here will be willing to divulge their own best spot because then everyone on CS will see it and rush there first.

Haha, I am trying to narrow down the spots as I totally have no experience when come to f1. Hoping some really nice cs members who are experienced in f1, are willing to talk me through a little.

I have seen much f1 photo threads but it's really hard to visualise without being on the ground.

I'll PM you, boss. I guided a group of photogs there last year.

Rashkae said:
I'll PM you, boss. I guided a group of photogs there last year.

Thanks man, at least I have something to start with.

Turn 1 and 2 is best for me .... near to Paddock and Grandstand spectator seats area is ALOT more well spread out at that Turn 1 with higher level seats and right at the turn too
Turn 22 is good too

The only drawback is that its a bit far to walk to the Padang where the concerts will be

p/s dont waste your time walking and walking and fighting the crowd all day long ..... stake out a couple of nearby turns and shoot from there

pp/s Dont know WHERE and what turn to shoot at ? Please go in the afternoon when they are running the supporting races (eg Porsche Cup) and scope out where you think the best turns and positions are ........ THEN decide where to park yourself before the main event begins in the evening . Dont wait till Alonso and gang takes off to THEN start figuring out where to shoot from ..... it will be too late by then

Last edited:
Hi ed, yes I will be there in the afternoon to scout out everything. Thanks for the advice.

Can I ask if I have access to all zones, does it means I'm allowed onto all grandstand too?

tecnica said:
Can I ask if I have access to all zones, does it means I'm allowed onto all grandstand too?

Just to walk, but not to sit. But if there's a free seat you can sit there, just need to surrender the seat when the real owner arrives

Last edited:
Rashkae said:
Just to walk, but not to sit. But if there's a free seat you can sit there, just need to surrender the seat when the real owner arrives

Ah that's good to know. I'm not there to sit down anyway. :)

Can I check with you guys, do you use the mode 2 panning IS or just the mode 1 normal IS?

tecnica said:
Can I check with you guys, do you use the mode 2 panning IS or just the mode 1 normal IS?

For that the other gurus need to step in... I don't use IS lenses. :)

Never tried it yet, but from the manual, it should be mode 2 if the cars are going from left<->right instead of coming towards you..

For that the other gurus need to step in... I don't use IS lenses. :)

Sony and their in-built stabilizers...(SSS?)

SkyStrike said:
Sony and their in-built stabilizers...(SSS?)

Yupyup

Sorry boss... All good spots will be the same as last year (see previous photo threads) and will be choped by people as early as possible. Not many people here will be willing to divulge their own best spot because then everyone on CS will see it and rush there first.

Sounds like many people would just stick to the same spot for the whole event and bring home lots of pictures of cars against the same background!:confused:
Just a thought, isn't it better to move around to photograph cars at different corners to give more variety? If everyone kind of take turn at different spots, everyone will go home with less monotonous pictures. I am actually thinking of doing this. Hopefully I will not go home with only a handful of pictures at the start of the race and zero luck after I move away from my initial spot and start moving around.

Sounds like many people would just stick to the same spot for the whole event and bring home lots of pictures of cars against the same background!:confused:
Just a thought, isn't it better to move around to photograph cars at different corners to give more variety? If everyone kind of take turn at different spots, everyone will go home with less monotonous pictures. I am actually thinking of doing this. Hopefully I will not go home with only a handful of pictures at the start of the race and zero luck after I move away from my initial spot and start moving around.

But the main problem I see (foresee) is that many does not see it this way... They won't move away from their spot. (reminds me of the NDP event) Once you move away from that spot, it will be probably near impossible to get a nice view after that.

But the main problem I see (foresee) is that many does not see it this way... They won't move away from their spot. (reminds me of the NDP event) Once you move away from that spot, it will be probably near impossible to get a nice view after that.

Yeah, I guess so. But I'm going to do that anyway, maybe at most 30 minutes into the race and then make my way to other parts of the track. If I can't get close to the fence from then on, then I'll just switch my 70-300mm to the 10-22mm lens to capture the atmosphere.;)

You can try going from spot to spot but I can tell you right now that it's going to be damn near impossible to get anything once you leave spot 1 for spot 2. Spot 2 is going to be just as crowded and what's worst you'll now be at the back of the crowd instead of the front.

Yeah, it would be nice to go from area to area to take different pictures but it just doesn't work out all that well in reality.

Is it less crowded and hence better for roving around on practice day (e.g. Friday) as compared to race day?