Events photography on budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
having a f2.8 lens even with flash will definitely helps since you can shoot in higher aperture = less power of flash needed = lesser recharge time = more shots = more chance of hitting the golden shot. (taking that you want to maintain low iso)

For casual event shooting, a superzoom like the 18-200VR would be a suitable lens to use. If you with to get the assurance of a fast lens just in case of low light no flash situations, then bring along a cheap 50mm 1.8. If you're on a budget, the f2.8 zooms would not be appropriate.

For flash, if you're going to buy one, get the best/most powerful availabe, ie the SB800 - the additional power is going to come in useful in many many situations.

There isn't a real benchmark for absolutely necessary equipment, but I would say that your body + 18-200VR + SB800 (+ maybe 50mm 1.8) should allow you to shoot comfortably in most situations and without breaking the bank.

If you are on a slimmer budget that the recommendations above, you may wish to swap the 18-200VR with a third party 18-200 and/or the SB800 with a cheap Sigma or something - however, something would have to give, either your $, or your shots.

Hope this is helpful.

Stanly said:
I've seen many pro photographers taking pictures for people during award ceremony,graduation ceremony and stuff.....:yes:

I wonder what is absolutely necessary for such events??

From what i notice, flashlight is a must.....thinking of investing in one.....:)

Maybe start from SB600.....:D

As for lens, I wonder if a lens like Nikon 18-200mm VR can fulfil most of the purpose.....or do I need a constant F2.8 lens......

Your pro comments needed......;)

a consideration for the flash is to get one with an option for faster recycling of your flash.
that is essential

ortega said:
a consideration for the flash is to get one with an option for faster recycling of your flash.
that is essential

and good set of batts too..
u wont wanna fire a few flash and start changing batts.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.