Euro, Swiss Franc, Pound & Dirham

kietgnoel

Dec 24, 2004
Planet Earth
Guys, I need some advice and suggestions.

I'll be going for a tour to Europe (Italy, France, Switzerland, UK) next month. On the way, I'll be transiting at Dubai (UAE) where we'll likely be doing some shopping at the airport.

Besides the "default" currency used in each country, are other currencies accepted? What I hope to be able to do is to minimize the number of currencies that I have to change to.

Suggestions and advice are welcome.

In Dubai, you should also be able to pay in USD. For the other countries, you need the local currency or use the global currency - Visa.

Nice places to go... :thumbsup: :)

Yupz, in Dubai Airport, they indicate prices for both Dirhams and USD

In France / Italy - Euro
In Switzerland - Swiss Francs
In UK - Pounds. Never been there before so not sure if they use other currencies

I don't remember them allowing other types of currencies in the France/Italy/Swiss. But most probably even if they do, the exchange rate won't be good. Must change euro soon as I think the exchange rate is rising. Last mth was only around 1.72.

Actually if you only transit in Dubai for a while, then there no need to change UAE Dirhams. Or just use your credit card when needed. I thought I will spend $ when I transit at Dubai for 3~4hrs, but in the end I did not really buy anything there. The prices not really fantastic.

By the way, if you transit in Dubai Airport (I was at T3 last mth) for more than 4 hours, you can get a free meal (dinner/lunch/breakfast) at courtyard cafe. It is above BK. No need to spend $$$ and you can get a place to sit down and rest.

Last edited: