Epson Photo Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

maritimus831

Oct 11, 2005
hey guys, anyone know where to buy the Epson P-2000/4000 photo hard drive? how much is it? generally, (if u own one), do you find it worthwhile to buy? The owner of Luminous-Landscape.com uses it, so it should be good?

P2000 everywhere also have eg. Cathay Photo, South Asia Computers, Parisilk Electronics, etc. Not difficult to find at all. Really.
The Epson P2000/4000 has the best LCD screen display and is preferred by professionals for previewing downloaded images because of this. Nothing currently in the market even comes near. Even when zoom in to the max also cannot see pixellation.

tomcat said:
P2000 everywhere also have eg. Cathay Photo, South Asia Computers, Parisilk Electronics, etc. Not difficult to find at all. Really.
The Epson P2000/4000 has the best LCD screen display and is preferred by professionals for previewing downloaded images because of this. Nothing currently in the market even comes near. Even when zoom in to the max also cannot see pixellation.

but can the photos be viewed if it's more than 8MP, say for cams like D2X or 1DsMKII?

destiny_star said:
but can the photos be viewed if it's more than 8MP, say for cams like D2X or 1DsMKII?
I don't have either of these cameras so can't confirm personally. But the review in The Luminous Landscape said that RAW files of 1Ds MK II are supported even though it is not in the documentation. In any case, the firmware is user upgradeable and Epson would release firmware upgrades regularly to support the newer DSLRs that are launched.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/P-2000.shtml

tomcat said:
I don't have either of these cameras so can't confirm personally. But the review in The Luminous Landscape said that RAW files of 1Ds MK II are supported even though it is not in the documentation. In any case, the firmware is user upgradeable and Epson would release firmware upgrades regularly to support the newer DSLRs that are launched.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/P-2000.shtml

thanx alot.. i managed to find the my answer from the epson link in ur stated URL.

P-2000 enhancement is able to support jpg up to 17.8MP however it din mention whether it will support RAW at such a large size.

Well.. it's good enuf.. :)

Cheapest price I got a couple of months back was $790 before GST cash from Parisilk.

I have played around with the Creative Zen Vision... I must say I am pretty impressed by it. The screen is very good, I can't see the individual pixels even when I scrutinise it from close distance. Only problem is it does not support RAW.... which is not a problem for me since I don't shoot in RAW.

I think it's available for slightly >$700. It has a very nice feel to it - magnesium casing available in white or black.

The Epson P2000 is old model liao, so the Creative may be worth a 2nd look.

hv the epson and i must say the picture quality is superb. however, navigation is a bit troublesome since its not windows based. havent tried the creative one but can imagine that the menus are more friendly to use.

Alot of ppl here do shoot Raw, so when Creative upgrade for the possibility to view Raw files, than it will be good. Furthermore those r the ppl whom needs this type of device most.

Creative quite Expensive as its made in singapore though.

Epson P2000 has a 40G HDD while Creative Zen Vision only comes with 30G HDD. If anybody is impressed by the LCD display of the Creative Zen Vision, wait till they see the Epson's LCD screen ! I was so surprised at the difference in quality when I compared them side-by-side that I bought the Epson P2000 on-the-spot !

is the p4000 better?

seanlim said:
is the p4000 better?
The only difference between P2000 and P4000 is in the HDD size and of course the price. ;)
P4000 has a 80G HDD compared to 40G HDD in the P2000.

Go for the Epson. It's much better then Creative.

tomcat said:
The only difference between P2000 and P4000 is in the HDD size and of course the price. ;)
P4000 has a 80G HDD compared to 40G HDD in the P2000.

The P4000 also has a better battery. I used to own a P2000 (which I sold away a few months back), and I can say that its a really really good device. The only reason why I sold it was because I needed the money and I wasn't going to be using it any time soon. When I need it again (which is probably the next time I go for a long trip overseas), i'll either buy the P4000 or maybe a really lightweight laptop.

The things that I dislike about the P2000 are its limited support for RAW (cannot zoom in, only views embedded JPG headers), clunky interface, slow when browsing thumbnails in a folder with loads of large RAWs. Other than that, its a perfect device when travelling overseas for a long period of time.

i think the creative zen vision is for a different market...more to the music + pic+ files user, whereas the epson's is solely for photographers..am i right?

rafiano said:
i think the creative zen vision is for a different market...more to the music + pic+ files user, whereas the epson's is solely for photographers..am i right?
I use my Epson P2000 for music and movies too. The mp3 songs that I downloaded into the P2000 sound quite good to me though they probably would be better in the Creative Zen Vision. DivX movies also play back very well on it. The menu system is a bit clunky and unsophisticated but the picture quality of the LCD screen to truely to-die-for and unbeatable and more than makes up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.