EOS M: M for Mirrorless

If those cheap camera modules would incorporate the same technology they most probably would. As you know yourself they don't.

It's more complex than that. Consider the Nikon V1/J1. Relatively small sensors (crop factor of 2.7) and read what reviewers say about their AF performance:

"The J1 and V1's contrast-detection AF systems, which take over when light levels are too low for effective phase-detection AF (and remember that this is the camera's decision, not the photographer's) are less impressive. Focussing is less positive (AF wobbles quickly around the target rather than locking straight on it) but impressively accurate when it gets a 'lock'. The problem is that even in average interior room light, both cameras struggle to find that lock. They rarely give up completely (and built-in AF illuminators are on hand in both cameras) but we've been surprised by how frequently they falter."

A far cry from AF performance of Oly/Panasonic/Sony mirrorless cameras.

It's more complex than that. Consider the Nikon V1/J1. Relatively small sensors (crop factor of 2.7) and read what reviewers say about their AF performance:

"The J1 and V1's contrast-detection AF systems, which take over when light levels are too low for effective phase-detection AF (and remember that this is the camera's decision, not the photographer's) are less impressive. Focussing is less positive (AF wobbles quickly around the target rather than locking straight on it) but impressively accurate when it gets a 'lock'. The problem is that even in average interior room light, both cameras struggle to find that lock. They rarely give up completely (and built-in AF illuminators are on hand in both cameras) but we've been surprised by how frequently they falter."

A far cry from AF performance of Oly/Panasonic/Sony mirrorless cameras.

You're missing the essence of my statement. If the Nikon 1 had a larger image circle it would be even slower and that's the whole point. Anyway, what has the discussion to do with the Nikon 1, m43 or NEX?

Last edited:
You're missing the essence of my statement. If the Nikon 1 had a larger image circle it would be even slower and that's the whole point. Anyway, what has the discussion to do with the Nikon 1, m43 or NEX?

The point is that I seriously doubt image circle has anything to do with contrast based AF: do Sony p&s AF faster than Sony mirrorless cams, do Panny p&s AF faster than Panny mirrorless cams, do Oly p&s AF faster than Oly mirrorless cams etc etc.

This discussion is relevant to the AF speed of EOS M.

Hi, it is pretty quiet here for this camera. Has it been launched for sale here yet? I gather the price for the full kit is going to cost around S$1700. Hope some owner will post a mini user review, especially on AF speed using the EF-M lens vs EF lens with adapter, shutter lag n ease of holding it. Looking forward to here from you guys m gals.

Hi, it is pretty quiet here for this camera. Has it been launched for sale here yet? I gather the price for the full kit is going to cost around S$1700. Hope some owner will post a mini user review, especially on AF speed using the EF-M lens vs EF lens with adapter, shutter lag n ease of holding it. Looking forward to here from you guys m gals.
S$1700? o_O Wow...

The review didn't turn out so good for the EOS-M. But then again hardly any surprises. The good image quality should be a given. The sluggish AF was not unexpected based on earlier previews, but it's a bit disappointing that it has not been addressed adequately in the final production model. And I presume this was with the native lenses. Will it be worse when used with EF/EF-S lenses? Not very compelling at all.

esoeij said:
The review didn't turn out so good for the EOS-M. But then again hardly any surprises. The good image quality should be a given. The sluggish AF was not unexpected based on earlier previews, but it's a bit disappointing that it has not been addressed adequately in the final production model. And I presume this was with the native lenses. Will it be worse when used with EF/EF-S lenses? Not very compelling at all.

In theory it should be worse because EF lenses don't have a stepping motor for CDAF.

Is the AF really that bad? cos the price(SRP I believe) looks not bad:

EOS M Kit III with EF-M 18-55mm f3.5/5.6 IS STM, EF-M 22mm f/2.0 STM & Speedlite 90EX: S$1,349 (available in all four colors: black, silver, white, red)
EOS M Kit II with EF-M 22mm f/2.0 STM & EF-EOS M mount adapter: S$1,219 (available in black only)
EOS M Kit with EF-M 18-55mm f3.5/5.6 IS STM: S$1,149 (available in black or red)

Kenneth83 said:

EOS M Kit III with EF-M 18-55mm f3.5/5.6 IS STM, EF-M 22mm f/2.0 STM & Speedlite 90EX: S$1,349 (available in all four colors: black, silver, white, red)
EOS M Kit II with EF-M 22mm f/2.0 STM & EF-EOS M mount adapter: S$1,219 (available in black only)
EOS M Kit with EF-M 18-55mm f3.5/5.6 IS STM: S$1,149 (available in black or red)

Why ask? Just check YouTube. ;-)

Wait for more reviews and user-feedback to come in lor. If the functionality doesn't meet your needs, price 'good' also no use. Depends on what you shoot. I shoot my kids a lot, and they can never stay still or even pose for long. So snappy AF is important to me. The ONLY plus point for me is the small form factor and hence the potential usefulness as a back-up or 2nd body for traveling.

I might be tempted if the price drops to around $700-800 for the Kit2 with EF-EOS M Mount Adapter in future. Of course the EOS-M Mark 2 might be out by then!! :bsmilie:

Why ask? Just check YouTube. ;-)

Wait for more reviews and user-feedback to come in lor. If the functionality doesn't meet your needs, price 'good' also no use. Depends on what you shoot. I shoot my kids a lot, and they can never stay still or even pose for long. So snappy AF is important to me. The ONLY plus point for me is the small form factor and hence the potential usefulness as a back-up or 2nd body for traveling.

I might be tempted if the price drops to around $700-800 for the Kit2 with EF-EOS M Mount Adapter in future. Of course the EOS-M Mark 2 might be out by then!! :bsmilie:

I've been on the hunt for a small portable camera yet with good image quality for off DSLR days and also for my parents who been travelling alot these days. Asked them to take my 5D3 but well as expected, they complain too heavy and the IXUS they are using is kinda outdated. They went to play snow in europe and the photo came out all white so yeah.

While I dont expect the AF to be as good as my 5D3 or even the 7D, I am hoping for something at least comparable with the NEX or Nikon mirrorless. If not for that price I might look at m43 offerings liaos since I doubt I will need 3200 iso or even 6400 iso photos.

I've been on the hunt for a small portable camera yet with good image quality for off DSLR days and also for my parents who been travelling alot these days. Asked them to take my 5D3 but well as expected, they complain too heavy and the IXUS they are using is kinda outdated. They went to play snow in europe and the photo came out all white so yeah.

Snow is always a bit tricky for the metering no matter how much the camera costs.

While I dont expect the AF to be as good as my 5D3 or even the 7D, I am hoping for something at least comparable with the NEX or Nikon mirrorless. If not for that price I might look at m43 offerings liaos since I doubt I will need 3200 iso or even 6400 iso photos.

No biggie for the E-M5. Hell, even an old GH2 is good at 3200.

Last edited:

I seriously doubt EOS-M AF can match up to NEX or Nikon J/V. m4/3 is a good choice. But do you need interchangeable lens system? If not, Sony RX100 is a good option. I replaced my m4/3 gear with this camera.

Kit II seems to be of some interest. Wonder what is the street price.
The only good thing is really the adapter........can fit my 17-55 on, though it might be a little unbalanced

Interesting pricing, only kit 2 comes with the M mount adapter?
Btw is it launched already?

tmr afternoon or so i believe stores will get thrir stocks. street price kit II abt $1077 n kit3 abt $1188. adapter alone abt $300 but i think not officially available in Singapore till later.