EOS M: M for Mirrorless

by looking at the video... the focusing seems slow compare to the other mirroless in the market... hope canon fix it before releasing it...

thatnikon said:
by looking at the video... the focusing seems slow compare to the other mirroless in the market... hope canon fix it before releasing it...

Unrealistic.

Cameralabs.com gives a good description of EOS M. The camera does not perform a continuous AF when it is used with EF or EFS Lenses via it's Adapter
but this is not finalised yet.

Last edited:
It's on sale in Japan for a few days. Is it out here already?

Wonder when will it be landing here???

Still waiting to read more review on this body......

If this is true, it means Canon must have worked very hard in the last few months to make sure it's comparable to NEX/Oly/Panny AF speeds. Good stuff. Glad they recognize the importance of AF speed and accuracy.

Canon ought to do something drastic about their sensor technology as well.

doodah said:
If this is true, it means Canon must have worked very hard in the last few months to make sure it's comparable to NEX/Oly/Panny AF speeds. Good stuff. Glad they recognize the importance of AF speed and accuracy.

Canon ought to do something drastic about their sensor technology as well.

I don't think so, NEX was already the slowest in the market.

I don't think so, NEX was already the slowest in the market.

True, compared to Oly and Panny mirrorless models.

But for old DSLR stalwarts like Nikon/Canon, the bar needs to be lowered. :bsmilie:

doodah said:
True, compared to Oly and Panny mirrorless models.

But for old DSLR stalwarts like Nikon/Canon, the bar needs to be lowered. :bsmilie:

Canon has improved the af speed in G15 n S110 so that's moving in right direction.. hope the M can hold it ground well too....

I think Fuji's still slower than NEX. Not sure about Samsung.

From what I experienced NX' AF speed is on par with NEX. The shallower the DoF the harder to nail the focus for the AF system. Smaller sensor cameras will always be faster.

Canon has improved the af speed in G15 n S110 so that's moving in right direction.. hope the M can hold it ground well too....

Are both G15 and S110 available now in the showroom for testing?

From what I experienced NX' AF speed is on par with NEX. The shallower the DoF the harder to nail the focus for the AF system. Smaller sensor cameras will always be faster.

But m43 sensors are not that much smaller than APS-C sensors. For example, f/2.8 on APS-C has the same depth of field as f/2.2 (about 2/3 stop difference) on m43. It's just that Olympus and Panasonic started from scratch and really put in their best efforts to ensure fast and accurate AF with their mirrorless systems. The m43 family has nothing to fall back on while Canikon can still rely on their DSLR for sales, and this is why Canikon can take their own sweet time with the development work in this area. Sony is caught in the middle with both NEX and SLT models. :D

ageha said:

Going by your logic, mobile phone cameras must be blazing fast in focusing.

Going by your logic, mobile phone cameras must be blazing fast in focusing.

If those cheap camera modules would incorporate the same technology they most probably would. As you know yourself they don't.

Last edited: