Envy - Cant decide which composition is better

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
3 photos, slightly different in composition. I cant decide which is better. Please advice which is better and why. Thanks.

Envy 1 has boat in the background, but shows only a small portion of the lamp post.

Envy 2 does not have boat in passing through but shows the lamp post.

Envy 3 captured a passing boat and shows the lamp post.

Envy 1
BW-1.jpg

Envy 2
BW-2.jpg

Envy 3
BW-3.jpg

pic 3...cos...

pic 1 - partial lamppost distracting

pic 2 - the couple odd pose

but if you have moved a bit more left, you would probably frame with out the lamppost, and also closer to the angle the girl look at the couple :think:

#1 for me, can always crop away the lamppost. Somehow the positioning of the couple in #3 does not appeal to me.

#2 - yes odd pose.

thanks guys, beside the lamp post, does the passing boat help to make the picture?

Waaah Dennis, you take picture of chio bu sitting all alone nex to river neber jio! :nono: :bsmilie:

Pix #3 works for me simply because the forst two the cutting of the lamp-post too distracting.

thanks guys, beside the lamp post, does the passing boat help to make the picture?

Not really, I don't even notice it. It's in, er, bokeh.

Waaah Dennis, you take picture of chio bu sitting all alone nex to river neber jio! :nono: :bsmilie:

Pix #3 works for me simply because the forst two the cutting of the lamp-post too distracting.
:bsmilie::bsmilie:

*Phone rings*
*Dream Merchant picks up*
*denniskee: eh now here got chio bu sitting by river come come and shoot*

somehow i think i prefer Envy 1, my reason are

1) she is more prominent.
2) she is leaning forward more (ok lar, i tilted the camera to get this effect).
3) i like the space to the right after the couple.

Envy 3 to me is too balance, ie the spacing on the left of the lady and the spacing to the right of the couple.

Envy 2.... yah, i think my timing was wrong.

i am troubled by the lamp post and the spacing, but not sure for the passing boat.

ha ha ha, sorry lar. but i dont know how she looks like as i went around her, didnt want to cut between the couple and their photog.

walking for 2 hours, only manage to get these 3 photos.

No lah...teas U onli!

Hmm...hope you don't mind, but I don't think 'Envy' is really emotive or effective as a title. May I make a few suggestions?

'Longing for love',

'Longing for love lost',

'Memories of love',

'Love lost', or sipmply

'Longing...'

What do you think?

No lah...teas U onli!

Hmm...hope you don't mind, but I don't think 'Envy' is really emotive or effective as a title. May I make a few suggestions?

'Longing for love',

'Longing for love lost',

'Memories of love',

'Love lost', or sipmply

'Longing...'

What do you think?

I think you are right, truth is, it is me how envy the couple (I am going through rough patch).

Hang in there man. We all go through rough patches, but if you be strong, you can make it!;)

somehow i think i prefer Envy 1, my reason are

1) she is more prominent.
2) she is leaning forward more (ok lar, i tilted the camera to get this effect).
3) i like the space to the right after the couple.

Envy 3 to me is too balance, ie the spacing on the left of the lady and the spacing to the right of the couple.

Envy 2.... yah, i think my timing was wrong.

i am troubled by the lamp post and the spacing, but not sure for the passing boat.

guys, please give me more suggestions, a balanced photo or a off balanced photo? does the lamp post add "loneliness" to the composition?

i think i agree with the rest, the boat doesnt add value to the composition.

I think no 3 is nice,really adds a sense of lonliness since she only has a lamp post for company,2 is like,since the lamp post is cut off,and no 1 doesn't rly give me that kind of feel that she's really very lonely,just my 2 cents,^^

a lone light, or a lone lamp post is pretty good for the subject of loneliness in my opinion.. if only you could have gotten the post in..

i seems to be a fitting song for this composition (for me).

情夜冷风 - 许冠杰
情夜冷风吹散热情梦
含泪对孤灯痴心错恨种
情缘如雾散恋爱多变幻
独念往日情凄酸透心间
怀人空悲叹怅惘心冷淡
月夜暗自弹伤心满泪眼
无情夜冷风忆往日情重
离别燕分飞相思已断送
情缘如雾散恋爱多变幻
独念往日情凄酸透心间
怀人空悲叹怅惘心冷淡
月夜暗自弹伤心满泪眼

Envy 1
BW-1.jpg

Eh Dennis, on the whole all 3 pics dont really work for me but since you are asking for composition, i would say I prefer #2. Too bad the gal shifted position abit and the couple's position in the background is unlike tat in #3.:p

#1 lamp post seems odd, making it looks like u tilted the pic too much. Pple will not know it's becos of its wide base without looking at the other 2 pics.

#3 seems to focus too much on the lamp post for my liking.

oh yeah... i hardly notice the boat if you have not mentioned it. So dun worry abt it.:bsmilie:

Hi Dennis, i think On the whole, all 3 images have very similar composition, accept that the lamp post has been cut out of the image by the 3rd image.

I think compositional value wise, you followed the rule of thirds pretty well. How ever the displacement of the couple seems a little odd to me. allow me to show you visually what i mean.

BW-11.jpg

The Rule of thirds is segmented by the red lines. Typically, alot of PGs tend to follow this rule to make subject placement more interesting. How ever this is not a hard and fast rule to follow by, so dun take my words for it.

You have managed to place ur intended subject "the girl" within the 1st third, However the couple was displaced out of the thirds which creates a sort of imbalanced image, as the last third on the right is now empty space or "meaningless".

Next, the title "Envy" doesnt fall through for me because, the girls had visually nothing to lead my eye from her towards the couple. The Blue line denotes the supposed direction in which your main subject should be directing the viewer's eyes towards, but no matter how i see it, i cannot find a line in which the viewer's attention should be moving towards the couple.

In Film making ( i feel in alot of ways applicable to photography) we practise the "triangle" method of placing our talents or subject(S). How this works is shown by the Purple triangle in the image.

How your couple got displaced greatly and created visually no link to your main subject was because the visible triangle formed by the subject was that shown by the purple triangle. As there was no "mental lines" to form an association between the subjects, the viewer tends to percieve it as "no connection"

In conclusion, i feel all it really really needed was for the "moment". In these image the moment wasn't quite there yet. The moment here refers to the "instantaneous gaze" where the main subject can be visually seen gazing upon the couple. If that was established, the perception would have been more "envious" as stated by your thread title. That instant gaze is powerful enough to form a triangle on its own to make sense to the composition regardless of the stone platform (that the girl is sitting on) trying to intercept the triangle formed by the gaze.

Hope this helps in some ways. :) Sorry for being harsh..:embrass:

If ur not ok with the diagram or my post, let me know k? i remove it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.