EM-10 Official! The OM-D for All!

Took my EM10 with kit lens, 12-40mm, 15mm and 45mm to the Singapore Zoo today. First proper shots after getting the EM10. For some of the shots in doors, with incandescent lighting, I had to drop to 45mm F1.8, 1/40 and ISO 3200. Noise filter was off. Surprisingly the noise looks pretty ok, I would say on par with the Fuji XE2 with -2 NR. Very pleased instead with the ISO performance. With the XE2 and X100s I keep to maximum of ISO3200 due to the plastic face issue with ISO 6400. So now I find the EM10 ISO3200 on par with XE2, I'm pretty pleased. While I tried all lens, all looked pretty good to me, including the kit lens. But the primes and 12-40mm were useful in lower light. So I might use the kit lens for day shots with plenty of light and the primes and 12-40mm at night or indoors. I shot both RAW and L JPEG, but I found the JPEG so good, I did not bother with processing the RAW.

Glad to hear this. the 12-40/2.8 lens alone was what drew quite a few friends into MFT given it's performance vs price and weight ratio.

And it's not everyone one gets a 45/1.8 portrait lens for free ;) especially for what it can deliver.

Shooting Fujifilm too, i will confess Fuji out of camera skin tones are still slightly better than MFT while MFT triumphs in AF accuracy and speed. I guess I'm very lucky in that I kinda know what I want exactly in my cameras and that's why for me these 2 systems stay with me.

I actually was hoping to buy the Fuji 16-55mm F2.8 lens .. then rumours came that no OIS .. But even if it were not true and it had OIS, the size was huge. And the new Fuji 50-140mmF2.8 is huge and heavy almost 1kg, contrast to a Panasonic 35-100mmF2.8 which is about 1/3 the weight.

The 12-40mm is a bit larger and heavier than Fuji 18-55mm but gain a stop at the longer end. I was quite happy with the 12-40mm in comparison to the Fuji 18-55mm.

As to skin tones, the results so far from EM10 is good enough for me. Anyway, most of my shots would be indoors, and I do have to do some WB tuning and in the process tune the skin tones a bit.

If the next few things work out well, I would probably sell my entire Fuji and Nikon collection and go entirely 4/3. The main selling point for me on the 43 were the built in OIS (as I wanted some of the nice Fuji primes, but no OIS, this is not a problem with EM10 with IBIS), size of lens (mentioned above) and comparable quality up to ISO3200 (from what I tried so far, and some other reports, though some say that Fuji is much better), faster and more reliable auto focus (seems more responsive than my XE2, a few things the XE2 just won't lock, but EM10 could). The other camera that looks interesting is the rumoured Panasonic LX100.

Glad to hear this. the 12-40/2.8 lens alone was what drew quite a few friends into MFT given it's performance vs price and weight ratio.

And it's not everyone one gets a 45/1.8 portrait lens for free ;) especially for what it can deliver.

Shooting Fujifilm too, i will confess Fuji out of camera skin tones are still slightly better than MFT while MFT triumphs in AF accuracy and speed. I guess I'm very lucky in that I kinda know what I want exactly in my cameras and that's why for me these 2 systems stay with me.

I actually was hoping to buy the Fuji 16-55mm F2.8 lens .. then rumours came that no OIS .. But even if it were not true and it had OIS, the size was huge. And the new Fuji 50-140mmF2.8 is huge and heavy almost 1kg, contrast to a Panasonic 35-100mmF2.8 which is about 1/3 the weight. The 12-40mm is a bit larger and heavier than Fuji 18-55mm but gain a stop at the longer end. I was quite happy with the 12-40mm in comparison to the Fuji 18-55mm. As to skin tones, the results so far from EM10 is good enough for me. Anyway, most of my shots would be indoors, and I do have to do some WB tuning and in the process tune the skin tones a bit. If the next few things work out well, I would probably sell my entire Fuji and Nikon collection and go entirely 4/3. The main selling point for me on the 43 were the built in OIS (as I wanted some of the nice Fuji primes, but no OIS, this is not a problem with EM10 with IBIS), size of lens (mentioned above) and comparable quality up to ISO3200 (from what I tried so far, and some other reports, though some say that Fuji is much better), faster and more reliable auto focus (seems more responsive than my XE2, a few things the XE2 just won't lock, but EM10 could). The other camera that looks interesting is the rumoured Panasonic LX100.

I do agree with you a lot , we ( 2 friends and me running the fuji FB club) met up with Fujifilm and also brought up the issues with the fuji lens roadmap :(

We follow lens roadmap when buying stuff and we were not very pleased with unannounced changes like the appearance of a 56APD and the 50-150/f2.8 coming out even earlier than the 16-55/2.8 & Fujifilm did acknowledge and they will try to respect the lens roadmap more.

Good thing is Fujifilm is very willing to take suggestions and work on them , but of course this takes time. Gotta give them time.

For me this is a reason why MFT is my main system and Fuji the sub system and I'll basically wait for the 3rd Gen XTrans model before I get the X Mount again. The X100s suffices for me now since I've a very complete MFT setup already (just missing the 7-14/2.8Pro)

And of course m4/3 AF accuracy , speeds , performance to weight and cost ratio coupled with the strengths of IBIS is honestly really difficult to beat.

Fuji should build OIS in more of their lens and even cameras like X100s. I have both the X100 and X100s, while I like the camera, the lack of OIS is a bummer and it limits the shooting range. I believe my EM10 with LeicaPana 15mm should be a better experience (though no leaf shutter for full flash sync speeds, but that kind of scenario is quite rare, not yet even used that in a real situation yet). Well when Fuji 3rd Gen XTrans is out, maybe the organic sensors will be out .. just imagine a 43 sensor or 1 inch sensor with that kind of technology, apart from the DOF control, really won't have much need for Full Frame or APS-C in normal usage.

I do agree with you a lot , we ( 2 friends and me running the fuji FB club) met up with Fujifilm and also brought up the issues with the fuji lens roadmap :(

We follow lens roadmap when buying stuff and we were not very pleased with unannounced changes like the appearance of a 56APD and the 50-150/f2.8 coming out even earlier than the 16-55/2.8 & Fujifilm did acknowledge and they will try to respect the lens roadmap more.

Good thing is Fujifilm is very willing to take suggestions and work on them , but of course this takes time. Gotta give them time.

For me this is a reason why MFT is my main system and Fuji the sub system and I'll basically wait for the 3rd Gen XTrans model before I get the X Mount again. The X100s suffices for me now since I've a very complete MFT setup already (just missing the 7-14/2.8Pro)

And of course m4/3 AF accuracy , speeds , performance to weight and cost ratio coupled with the strengths of IBIS is honestly really difficult to beat.

I just got back from Japan. Normally I bring along my Fujifilm x100s and Sony Rx100 for holidays. This trip I left the Fuji behind and brought a Sony Rx100mk3 and Olympus EM10 with 15mm Leica, 12-40mmf2.8 and 35-100mmf2.8. I must say that in practice the Olympus worked really well for me and never missed my Fuji. My primary outfit with EM10 with 15mm. Hardly used the Sony.

The number of keepers was a lot better than if I had a Fuji. With the Fuji if I passed it to others to shot invariably, the focus would be off and/or would have camera shake. With em10 all in focus, no shake. Sometimes I could see clearly the shooter was moving down the camera as they depressed the shutter, looking sure to have camera shake. But surprisingly there was no camera shake in the photos. Shooting with 35-100mm at the long end, I even tried down to 1/5 sec and worked well. So the em10 IBIS worked great.

Color and sharpness was great, won't really lose to Fuji, maybe even a tad sharper. I even tried ISO 12,800 had noise of course but cleaned up well in iOS Noiseware. My primarily test was viewing on iPad mini retina. Looked great.

Shoot around 2,000 photos.

I just got back from Japan. Normally I bring along my Fujifilm x100s and Sony Rx100 for holidays. This trip I left the Fuji behind and brought a Sony Rx100mk3 and Olympus EM10 with 15mm Leica, 12-40mmf2.8 and 35-100mmf2.8. I must say that in practice the Olympus worked really well for me and never missed my Fuji. My primary outfit with EM10 with 15mm. Hardly used the Sony. The number of keepers was a lot better than if I had a Fuji. With the Fuji if I passed it to others to shot invariably, the focus would be off and/or would have camera shake. With em10 all in focus, no shake. Sometimes I could see clearly the shooter was moving down the camera as they depressed the shutter, looking sure to have camera shake. But surprisingly there was no camera shake in the photos. Shooting with 35-100mm at the long end, I even tried down to 1/5 sec and worked well. So the em10 IBIS worked great. Color and sharpness was great, won't really lose to Fuji, maybe even a tad sharper. I even tried ISO 12,800 had noise of course but cleaned up well in iOS Noiseware. My primarily test was viewing on iPad mini retina. Looked great. Shoot around 2,000 photos.

Glad u enjoyed using the EM10, similarly I feel he same. The IBIS does make a difference to photo shooting and i seldom pass the fuji to others for photos when I'm bringing it out as it's simply less forgiving on the user's mistakes.

Thanks for the detailed sharing.

Finally, I got great holiday shots of myself, and not having to sacrifice quality. Before the Fuji will mess up. With the Sony, the focussing was better but the anti shake not that good, so sometimes still get camera shake from other people using it. My only regret is not jumping on Olympus earlier. I did originally pre-order the Olympus EM1 but later backed out because I was afraid the image quality won't match the Fuji. While in absolute theortical terms the Fuji probably has better image quality, the Olympus EM10 in practice gets better quality due to the ability to have no noise reduction (which the Fuji cannot do unless you do raw), better IBIS. I was quite happy shooting most of the time with the 15mm Leica, being light and met most of my needs. If I had the X100s, I would have been crippled by the lack of IBIS and thus in practice I got better quality images from EM10 compared to the Fuji. Often I was shooting indoors at F1.7, down to 1/8 of second. Most of the time is had sufficient DOF even at F1.7 (most of the time having insufficient DOF is a problem with groups of people shots in holidays), whereas shooting at F2 on the X100s would have been dicy.

I was also very happy with the Panasonic 35-10mmF2.8, it was light, fast focusing and easy to handle with great quality. If I had the Fuji, I would have to lug the heavier 55-200mm along with slow focussing. The 12-40mm was good in quality but because of the weight, I did not use it that often. That being said, I was extremely disappointed to hear Fuji 16-55mmF2.8 won't have OIS, so that was the thing that killed Fuji for me.

I think now I got a bundle of Fuji and Nikon stuff to sell. Next thing I'm looking at is the Panasonic LX100 or Leica DLux 109, which looks like a good replacement for the EM10 and 12-40mm for travelling. The 12-40mm will probably be used locally where I don't have to carry it around the whole place.

Glad u enjoyed using the EM10, similarly I feel he same. The IBIS does make a difference to photo shooting and i seldom pass the fuji to others for photos when I'm bringing it out as it's simply less forgiving on the user's mistakes.

Thanks for the detailed sharing.

Last edited:
Finally, I got great holiday shots of myself, and not having to sacrifice quality. Before the Fuji will mess up. With the Sony, the focussing was better but the anti shake not that good, so sometimes still get camera shake from other people using it. My only regret is not jumping on Olympus earlier. I did originally pre-order the Olympus EM1 but later backed out because I was afraid the image quality won't match the Fuji. While in absolute theortical terms the Fuji probably has better image quality, the Olympus EM10 in practice gets better quality due to the ability to have no noise reduction (which the Fuji cannot do unless you do raw), better IBIS. I was quite happy shooting most of the time with the 15mm Leica, being light and met most of my needs. If I had the X100s, I would have been crippled by the lack of IBIS and thus in practice I got better quality images from EM10 compared to the Fuji. Often I was shooting indoors at F1.7, down to 1/8 of second. Most of the time is had sufficient DOF even at F1.7 (most of the time having insufficient DOF is a problem with groups of people shots in holidays), whereas shooting at F2 on the X100s would have been dicy. I was also very happy with the Panasonic 35-10mmF2.8, it was light, fast focusing and easy to handle with great quality. If I had the Fuji, I would have to lug the heavier 55-200mm along with slow focussing. The 12-40mm was good in quality but because of the weight, I did not use it that often. That being said, I was extremely disappointed to hear Fuji 16-55mmF2.8 won't have OIS, so that was the thing that killed Fuji for me. I think now I got a bundle of Fuji and Nikon stuff to sell. Next thing I'm looking at is the Panasonic LX100 or Leica DLux 109, which looks like a good replacement for the EM10 and 12-40mm for travelling. The 12-40mm will probably be used locally where I don't have to carry it around the whole place.

I'm getting the DLux type 109 ;) as the Leica tweaked JPEG engine will definitely or humbly most likely give improved colors.

It will be used in tandem with my EM1 as I still need my 12-40/2.8, 42.5/1.2 and later , the 7-14/2.8Pro.

The X100s with the TCL and WCL stays as a mainly MF system for me which is of course, provides excellent color rendering.

Bro.. need advise..... am considering EM10 or a G6 for me wife to take video.... she not into photography... just want her to help take video for son stage performance while I take photos...... which is a better choice or should just ask her get a compact camera???

Bro.. need advise..... am considering EM10 or a G6 for me wife to take video.... she not into photography... just want her to help take video for son stage performance while I take photos...... which is a better choice or should just ask her get a compact camera???

Get her a Sony RX100Mk3. Great video quality, better than most DSLR or CSC. I don't think E10 or G6 will have better quality video. Small in size, which ladies appreciate as it could probably fit her hand bag. Another alternative is Canon G7x if longer range is needed. Or if even longer range, then Sony RX10 or Panasonc LX1000.

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards a DLux Type 109 also. Can let me know when they tell you about to arrive? Is the price confirmed?

I'm getting the DLux type 109 ;) as the Leica tweaked JPEG engine will definitely or humbly most likely give improved colors.

It will be used in tandem with my EM1 as I still need my 12-40/2.8, 42.5/1.2 and later , the 7-14/2.8Pro.

The X100s with the TCL and WCL stays as a mainly MF system for me which is of course, provides excellent color rendering.

Get her a Sony RX100Mk3. Great video quality, better than most DSLR or CSC. I don't think E10 or G6 will have better quality video. Small in size, which ladies appreciate as it could probably fit her hand bag. Another alternative is Canon G7x if longer range is needed. Or if even longer range, then Sony RX10 or Panasonc LX1000.

Thanks bro for the advise....

Basket.... too late. ... miss the horse, train, boat, plane..... to get the OMD with free 45mm.... want to come back to M43 due to the range of lenses..... Sony A series don't have the range I need now and at a more "competitive" price.... also tio M43 poison.....kekeke.... just wondering if I should use A7 with prime and M43 for zoom... or vice versa..... hmmm... any advise....

Last edited:
Basket.... too late. ... miss the horse, train, boat, plane..... to get the OMD with free 45mm.... want to come back to M43 due to the range of lenses..... Sony A series don't have the range I need now and at a more "competitive" price.... also tio M43 poison.....kekeke.... just wondering if I should use A7 with prime and M43 for zoom... or vice versa..... hmmm... any advise....

I am using A7s with the 55mm lens.. This is my main camera and lens as I enjoy taking photos with 50mm FOV..

I got the EM10 at $900 with the free 45mm which was a great deal.. I use my m43 mainly with the 45mm and sigma 60mm.. I also have the puny 12-32mm lens which is a great combo with the EM10..

Both do get almost the same amount of use.. This is a great time for us consumers as we do have a lot of wonderful lens and camera choices..

I am using A7s with the 55mm lens.. This is my main camera and lens as I enjoy taking photos with 50mm FOV..

I got the EM10 at $900 with the free 45mm which was a great deal.. I use my m43 mainly with the 45mm and sigma 60mm.. I also have the puny 12-32mm lens which is a great combo with the EM10..

Both do get almost the same amount of use.. This is a great time for us consumers as we do have a lot of wonderful lens and camera choices..

haaaa glad to hear that bro...... yap, I have the FE 55mm & 35mm..... great lens...... hmmm... should go touch touch the EM10..... see if can talk to me or not..... save me some $$ for lens..... EM1 confirm can talk cause use it before for 1 year.... any promo coming.... kekekeke

haaaa glad to hear that bro...... yap, I have the FE 55mm & 35mm..... great lens...... hmmm... should go touch touch the EM10..... see if can talk to me or not..... save me some $$ for lens..... EM1 confirm can talk cause use it before for 1 year.... any promo coming.... kekekeke

Like yourself I am also considering a constant f-stop zoom.. But not for the m43 system.. Toying with the idea of getting the tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens..

The Olympus 12-40mm is a very nice lens.. Only gripe was the size.. When mounted on the EM1 it feels just like carrying a DSLR.. I like to keep my m43 system small.. What I really like about m43 is the small prime lens.. Thats why I did not really considering getting a zoom for my m43..

Last edited:
Like yourself I am also considering a constant f-stop zoom.. But not for the m43 system.. Toying with the idea of getting the tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens..

The Olympus 12-40mm is a very nice lens.. Only gripe was the size.. When mounted on the EM1 it feels just like carrying a DSLR.. I like to keep my m43 system small.. What I really like about m43 is the small prime lens.. Thats why I did not really considering getting a zoom for my m43..

The m43 got so mnay of the lens I want.... feel like selling off the Sony A7s and go all out M43.... :confused:

Looking at a OMD-EM1 or EM10 with GH3 or GH4 combo...... make sense???:dunno:.... my so call "logic".... GH3/GH4 using zoom, more "balance".... 12-40 or 12.35 & 40-150 or 35-100 and the EM1 or EM10 using prime...... :dunno:

lol. i got A7 and EM1.

difficult to maintain 2 system.

The m43 got so mnay of the lens I want.... feel like selling off the Sony A7s and go all out M43.... :confused:

Looking at a OMD-EM1 or EM10 with GH3 or GH4 combo...... make sense???:dunno:.... my so call "logic".... GH3/GH4 using zoom, more "balance".... 12-40 or 12.35 & 40-150 or 35-100 and the EM1 or EM10 using prime...... :dunno: