Earth Hour 2009

Will you or will you not?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
give the boy some time, sooner or later he should wise up.... i hope

Ha! With his attitude I seriously doubt so. At least not in the next 10 years.

that's nice to see that they put in the effort for it.

Actually, it would have been much more pronounced and create lots more awareness if HDB would participate and switch off all lights at the corridors. It is sad that SG government didn't choose to take part.

Actually, it would have been much more pronounced and create lots more awareness if HDB would participate and switch off all lights at the corridors. It is sad that SG government didn't choose to take part.

Wouldn't that cause more problems / issues? I can imagine the older uninformed aunties and uncles not knowing what to do when they see the entire estate in darkness. The lights in the lifts would still need to be turned on.

Earth Hour should be seen as an initiative to create awareness to Global Warming and the effects of Green House gases.

So let's not belittle those that participated or sneer those that doesn't. I personally did not participate the just concluded Earth Hour 2009 not becoz I'm against it but for reason that if I do, I'm sort of being a hypocrite.

I don't even know how much I emit those greenhouse gases to the atmosphere a year thru my daily usage of electricity, so can't imagine switching off my lights for an hour will create an impact to the environment. For info, I'm more than aware of the cause and effect of greenhouse gases and global warming. We wouldn't want to end up like Planet Venus do we?

I personally think Global Warming is a only theory that needs to be proven. The magnitude of variables that cause the weather to behave the way it does is still in parts a scientific predictions based on past data. I dare to say some scientist co-relate recent catastrophic weather conditions towards strengthening their theory.

I've read and watch too much documentary on BBC/Nat Geo/Discovery/Nat geo Mags...etc in the past 20+ years to judge for myself the state of Earth condition. I'm aware of my surroundings to see some changes to environment. Trees are the best, I like observing them growing and flowering and shed leaves based on weather patterns here. Last few years like the cycle is either disrupted and hastened, could be due to the El nino or La nina effect.

Just an example of extreme climate change, before the Himalayan range was created some 20 million years ago, there was no Monsoon season due to the fact that the Tibetan Plateau did not exist then.

Anyway, as long as Goverments does not quickly and seriously put more resources to create an alernative Eco-Friendly energy source to totally stop using coal and oil, I see movement like Earth Hour as a feeble attempt to change habits and turn around effects on Global Warming, if it will happen.

Oklah, for those who thinks this is to deep, just switch off your lights for an hour in support of Earth hour. At least it makes you feel good that you are doing something...

Last edited:
Are we getting any rebates for switching off for that hour?

i think the reward is one hour less off your utility bill when the dial runs slower:sweat:

nothing stops us from changing habits. Global warming is the big picture but thats really too much to ponder on for some. If we focus on saving money, buying less, using less and cutting down on bill sizes, we will be helping the environment in a big way.

Millions will argue if each and everyone of us do our small part the effect will be felt greatly but I say it a whole lot time is needed for that kinda of impact. Governments can help reverse any environment impact greatly if they where to change their policy.

Imagine our Petrochemical Refineries at Pulau Bukom and Jurong Island converted the Solar Panel Farms to harness solar energy? But what will become of our oil and oil derivatives industry like plastics if our government does that bold move? No brainer the whole economy will turn upside down but how much impact that make to the environment?

The more I say the more I feel Earth Hour = Media Hype........

Last edited:
To me, Earth Hour is a movement to raise awareness of global warming. Any intelligent person will know that just by switching off for one hour is a drop in the ocean as far as conservation is concerned. But at least, I am thankful that some people have taken the trouble to organize such a show of force on a global scale. This has attracted participants the world over, corporations as well as individuals. Participants of Earth Hour use their freedom of choice to decide whether they want to show a "symbolic" gesture to acknowledge their awareness.

To those who have participated, I say .. thank you and lets carry on to do whatever we can to show our support for this cause, symbolic or otherwise. :)

so the Empire State building will be switching off and so will Las Vegas!!!......

and here's the Birds Nest Stadium switching off for the hour:
[vid]8zOTwY3dZOE[/vid]

this exercise will take generations to take effect
do it for the future

eg. in japan and korea, recycling and energy conservation is like a daily affair
it makes me wonder about us in singapore, just how advanced do we think we are?

do you guys realize that by switching the lights off for one hour, that amount of electricity not used goes to waste... fossil fuel based power generating stations do not reduce output just for one hour... they are designed to be run at optimum efficiency and are not revved down when demand for electricity goes down... that's why some power companies charge lower fees for night time power (at least for industrial/commercial users), cause there's usually less demand at night and the chilled water air conditioning system some buildings employ makes use of this by chilling water at night when cost of power is low and then cools the building with the chilled water during daytime when power cost is high...

so by switching off lights for an hour, around the world, can you imagine how much power is wasted... sure, creating awareness is fine and dandy, but surely there are better ways of doing it, like, say, a car-free-day within the city centre, which would not only create awareness but also reduce fossil fuel use, and air and noise pollution within the city... we shouldn't just blindly follow propaganda from certain parties but think for ourselves... don't do things just because its the "hip" thing to do... if we truly want to reduce power consumption, we should, as some here have already suggested, put emphasis in sustained reductions...

Last edited:
Went down to the Padang ...

By 8.30, the whole padang was in darkness, with probably 50 - 80 people in scattered groups on the grass.

Some music was playing softly in the BG, but can't tell if it's from the Esplanade side or ...?

One of two buildings in the CBD switched off the main logo light at 8.30. Most of the lights that were on before, remained on, with a few being switched off. Estimated difference? Not more than 5-10% switched off by or after 8.30.

Saw ONE candle lit on the padang, and spotted ONE photographer on the (old) City Hall steps.

Everything else, business as usual, with lights on, of course.

Earth Hour should be seen as an initiative to create awareness to Global Warming and the effects of Green House gases.

So let's not belittle those that participated or sneer those that doesn't. I personally did not participate the just concluded Earth Hour 2009 not becoz I'm against it but for reason that if I do, I'm sort of being a hypocrite.

I don't even know how much I emit those greenhouse gases to the atmosphere a year thru my daily usage of electricity, so can't imagine switching off my lights for an hour will create an impact to the environment. For info, I'm more than aware of the cause and effect of greenhouse gases and global warming. We wouldn't want to end up like Planet Venus do we?

I personally think Global Warming is a only theory that needs to be proven. The magnitude of variables that cause the weather to behave the way it does is still in parts a scientific predictions based on past data. I dare to say some scientist co-relate recent catastrophic weather conditions towards strengthening their theory.

I've read and watch too much documentary on BBC/Nat Geo/Discovery/Nat geo Mags...etc in the past 20+ years to judge for myself the state of Earth condition. I'm aware of my surroundings to see some changes to environment. Trees are the best, I like observing them growing and flowering and shed leaves based on weather patterns here. Last few years like the cycle is either disrupted and hastened, could be due to the El nino or La nina effect.

Just an example of extreme climate change, before the Himalayan range was created some 20 million years ago, there was no Monsoon season due to the fact that the Tibetan Plateau did not exist then.

Anyway, as long as Goverments does not quickly and seriously put more resources to create an alernative Eco-Friendly energy source to totally stop using coal and oil, I see movement like Earth Hour as a feeble attempt to change habits and turn around effects on Global Warming, if it will happen.

Oklah, for those who thinks this is to deep, just switch off your lights for an hour in support of Earth hour. At least it makes you feel good that you are doing something...

I do share your main view that Earth hour is essentially a way to create awareness. And I believe awareness is a start to a change in daily habit, definitely not for all who participated, but better some than none.

We are not belittling nor sneering at those who do not take part, but rather, the concern is those that don't take part sounded inexplicably proud of it.

Global warming being promoted as an unproven theory is as a much a propaganda those who touted it to be true. The question is, how much proof would actually suffice? By then, when all the proof comes it, isn't it too late (if it is not already by now) to do anything about it.

The stand that many green movements are taking can be known as preventive measures. You can refute that "greenhouse gases" causes global warming, but its hard to deny that the air can be cleaner if we cut down the consumption of fossil fuels.

You are right in that the government can do more to promote alternative energy, till then, the individuals can start doing whatever they can. It's can be crippling if we keep thinking that the only the government can influence the way its citizens think, and not the other way round.

Sometimes we are so caught up in struggling for more money and better education for our children, so that they can have a better place in the world, we have overlooked at what kind of world we are actually leaving behind for them.

Went down to the Padang ...

By 8.30, the whole padang was in darkness, with probably 50 - 80 people in scattered groups on the grass.

Some music was playing softly in the BG, but can't tell if it's from the Esplanade side or ...?

One of two buildings in the CBD switched off the main logo light at 8.30. Most of the lights that were on before, remained on, with a few being switched off. Estimated difference? Not more than 5-10% switched off by or after 8.30.

Saw ONE candle lit on the padang, and spotted ONE photographer on the (old) City Hall steps.

Everything else, business as usual, with lights on, of course.

The main Earth Hour event was at the Esplanade Park, and there were much more candles and photographers there (me included)...

But yeah, I was hoping for more lights to go off in the city.

took a shot from the hdb behind the buddha tooth relic temple, than rush down to high street carpark took 2 shots, follow by 1 shot from elgin bridge before meeting up with dm, dam siong:sweat::sweat:

thanks to those who had participated, for those who didnt, it is ok, since u already know about this global event call earth hour and its cause, just make an effort to be abit more environmentally concious. may cause u abit of inconvenance, but whats that compare to the suffering by the future generations is all of us dont?

cant remember who wrote this :
we didnt inherit this earth from our ancestors, it is on loan to us from our decendents.

do you guys realize that by switching the lights off for one hour, that amount of electricity not used goes to waste... fossil fuel based power generating stations do not reduce output just for one hour... they are designed to be run at optimum efficiency and are not revved down when demand for electricity goes down... that's why some power companies charge lower fees for night time power (at least for industrial/commercial users), cause there's usually less demand at night and the chilled water air conditioning system some buildings employ makes use of this by chilling water at night when cost of power is low and then cools the building with the chilled water during daytime when power cost is high...

so by switching off lights for an hour, around the world, can you imagine how much power is wasted... sure, creating awareness is fine and dandy, but surely there are better ways of doing it, like, say, a car-free-day within the city centre, which would not only create awareness but also reduce fossil fuel use, and air and noise pollution within the city... we shouldn't just blindly follow propaganda from certain parties but think for ourselves... don't do things just because its the "hip" thing to do... if we truly want to reduce power consumption, we should, as some here have already suggested, put emphasis in sustained reductions...

Not exactly. Power grids are powered by multiple generators. Excess power is cut by switching off generators when demand drops below supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.