Earth Hour 2009

Will you or will you not?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all, today is the BIG day. Remember to practice what you have pledged to save our environment and may this is the beginning for our environment awareness.

It's CoOL to be GREEN!:cool:

earthhour-2009.jpg

Switch off the lights for one hour will not affect you daily work or life, and it will not be significant on your utility bill also.

But it does show your concerns and cares about the environment issues, it will send a strong message to many other people, corporates, government bodies to look into the current state of the environment issues more seriously.

We only have one Earth, so

Please Vote Earth by switch off the lights tonight 8.30~9.30pm.

I am doing my part, currently in Bangladesh, there is earthhour every day, a couple of times in a day haha. Constant power failure throughout the day will sure save a lot of electricity, but they switch to generator which requires fossil fuel :confused:

:thumbsup: up for it.

it may be a long process but i strongly think its worth it.

check on home appliances that is too old and take up too much energy (ie old aircon, old fridge, old tv, instant boiler instead of 24hr hot water boiling pot).

use notebooks instead of power packed pc for the next upgrade.

I think my old water heater takes up a lot of energy cos I can't think of anything else.
I want to change it to a new and energy efficient one. Do you know which type/ model uses the least energy and where can I get such stuff at a good price? :dunno:

Notebooks use less energy than desktops meh??

whatever we do got effect meh? :bsmilie:

Who do you think screwed up the Earth?!? :angry:

by the way my mobile phone and camera runs on batteries and not the wall socket

And your mobile phone and camera batteries' energy comes from the energy through the charger from the wall socket! :bsmilie:

It's not a move to massively affect the environment.

It is a move to indicate your support and to gather awareness to the constant need to conserve energy.

Who do you think screwed up the Earth?!? :angry:

Is it Japan, America and China? They are the largest consumer of energy and largest producers of junk consumerism. :bsmilie:

Is it Japan, America and China? They are the largest consumer of energy and largest producers of junk consumerism. :bsmilie:
if everyone have a same thought like you and sit down there do noting, the Earth will be hopeless, anyway, we still able to kiss Earth and say goodbye for our generation, but not our next generation.

For Earth, please Switch off your lights, not your mind.

Lights off liao!

if everyone have a same thought like you and sit down there do noting, the Earth will be hopeless, anyway, we still able to kiss Earth and say goodbye for our generation, but not our next generation.

For Earth, please Switch off your lights, not your mind.

I dun believe earth got hope anyway. :bsmilie:

I dun care about next generations.

I still see lots of people outside my house lights on.

Hmm, sometimes, I think you are trying too hard to be controversial.

well .. my hse downstairs ppl still karaoke so loud with huge projector screen . . so i dont see a difference. :dunno:

I think Earth Hour will try a few years, people sian liao, then forget it liao. :bsmilie:

none of my friends even bother about it.

My family went out shopping during the earth hour.:bsmilie: I think alot of people did that as the malls are so packed with people. so are we saving electricity that way? yes and no perhaps.

Reference to wuffruff, go read more here about energy efficient products in general for home appliances

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/appliances/

The key is, gas is the cheapest and energy efficient way to get things done. Citygas has some gas fired water heater for home installations. I think those are wonderful but they dont come cheap though.

I used to have a friend who used gas fired water heater and she fainted in the bathroom when the gas leaked while she was taking a quick shower. Her dad had to carry her out and brought her to the hospital. But she lived fortunately. This incident happened overseas. So, please ensure regular checks for leakage. It shouldnt leak if installed by qualified technicians and proper checks are done periodically.

As for tank based electric heaters, these are usually the least energy efficient. But one trick is to boil for 20 to 30min before shower. switch it off before entering bathroom. If you feel the water is getting cool, you are probably wasting heated water with a long shower.

Just remember, our body can accommodate to cooler water temperature if we adjust it slowly. Its like going into a swimming pool. You acclimatize yourself to the pool temperature slowly and you will enjoy a really good swim.

the 24hr water boiler is one of the key culprits. Use instant water boiler for drinking hot beverage or use a kettle on gas stove. The 24hr boiler keep reheating the water and is a pure waste of energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.