Dubious Utility

eoscanon40d

Jul 30, 2008
I would like to know if anyone encounters the same thing as me. I'm very puzzled and perplex by the reply I got from the CSO from SPservices. They claim that their meter is accurate and honest. That was when I called them to query about my exorbitant bill of over $300 for a household of just 2 adult and a baby for the month of May and June. However, I find the chart in my utility bill very dubious. Immediately after my query in late June, there's a significant drop in the electric meter but a surge in the Gas meter in my July bill. How can there be a big surge in my gas usage when our daily usage is just the same like other months? The same applies for the electric meter as our usage are quite constant so how can there be such drastic difference over the months. The month of Mar is quite hot but yet the chart shows a lower electricity usage as compared to Feb or Apr and then the big surge in May and June? What accuracy and honesty are SP talking about when the chart tells a different story. It seems like we are just at the mercy of our utility board since they are the monopoly in Singapore. $SPservices chart.jpg

One reason for surges are the estimated readings.

E.g. For electricity, Jun's estimate was based on May's reading. Then when they took the Jul reading, it's readjusted to compensate. In the end you really do pay only for actual units used. If you prefer to pay only for exactly what is used, then you should submit your own meter readings on the alternate months.

If you really doubt the accuracy of the meter, you can monitor the readings daily for a certain period and see if there are unexpected surges. But I do think it's more likely that there may have been usage patterns that felt 'the same' to you, but might have gone unnoticed. I'd also take a closer look at utility around the house. E.g, Did someone leave the gas heater or other appliances on? Use more aircon in the day due to increased heat or haze, etc? Could the gas be due to wife's confinement cooking? (No idea how old the baby is, just guessing randomly).

Last edited:
If you look at the legend at the bottom, the months with asterisk are based on estimates, as meter reading is done once every 2 months. What the meter is actually showing is that you used 272 + 168 kWh of gas in Jun and Jul, rather than actually certainly using 168 kWh in Jun, hope you get what I mean.

272 + 168 / 2 = 440 for 2 months or 220 a month. Have you changed any habits? Cooked more? Switched to a gas heater? What you can do right away is dig out your May bill, which you can get easily if you have online bills - and then check the meter reading given there, before comparing it to the meter outside your house. If there is a meter reading error this will show up right away.

There can be all sorts of reasons for increased utility usage, including gas leaks. You can deliberately not use gas for one whole day and see if the meter is moving, to try to isolate that problem.

if I am not wrong you can apply to the provider to submit your own reading electronically

it should increase accuracy. please go find out how

While I want to believe the meters are accurate, somehow the bills are not reflecting the usage pattern I am experiencing too. Once upon a time I use town gas, the amount is very constant till I switch to LPG which reflect my usage. Unfortunately, there is no alternative for water and elect.

I would like to know if anyone encounters the same thing as me. I'm very puzzled and perplex by the reply I got from the CSO from SPservices. They claim that their meter is accurate and honest. That was when I called them to query about my exorbitant bill of over $300 for a household of just 2 adult and a baby for the month of May and June. However, I find the chart in my utility bill very dubious. Immediately after my query in late June, there's a significant drop in the electric meter but a surge in the Gas meter in my July bill. How can there be a big surge in my gas usage when our daily usage is just the same like other months? The same applies for the electric meter as our usage are quite constant so how can there be such drastic difference over the months. The month of Mar is quite hot but yet the chart shows a lower electricity usage as compared to Feb or Apr and then the big surge in May and June? What accuracy and honesty are SP talking about when the chart tells a different story. It seems like we are just at the mercy of our utility board since they are the monopoly in Singapore.View attachment 3610

What caught my eyes is the national average seem so much different, unless you stay at 5 rooms flat? I'm at 4 rooms HDB.
Normally I try to update the pub reading myself. I can see your gas usage rather high as well, I guess same as mine.
as I'm using gas dryer and gas water heather. FYI, my household have 2 adults and 2 children.

National average based on number of rooms is not a good reference point. 5'rooms with a working couple that only comes home to sleep and 3 rooms with 7 people whole day in the house will give you an unbalance reading.

No 2 apples are the same.

Go to the My Utilities Portal of SP Services website and use the the option 'Compare electricity usage'. The bar for 'All Neighbours' should give a better comparison since it refers to similar unit size within the block. Still, different patterns due to number of people living there and life style applies. In the end, do your own searching for sudden changes in power consumption instead of suspecting foul play by the supplier.