Downgrade Notebook Vista OS to XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Ho

Jan 17, 2002
jasonho.clubsnap.org
I have a notebook that comes pre-installed with Vista OS. I like to change it to XP. I read on other forum that I can do that without a charge.

1st get a winxp pro oem disc, call microsoft and tell them u wanna downgrade to winxp pro there is a option when u install winxp to activate windows through the phone, give them the number as well as the winxp cd key and the cd key behind your laptop will do. You better get the drivers for your lan/wireless then download a lenovo system update it will auto download all the drivers for you. i believe you will hit some errors for the sound card. that needs to be resolved by downloading a patch from microsoft then everything will work

I have PM the guy who posted that reply on the other forum. While waiting for a response, I am wondering if anyone here tried that before? I am wondering if its true that with a Vista OS lic, I can downgrade/upgrade without additional charge.

Just trying to make sure this is a official workaround before trying :bsmilie:

Thanks

PS : Tried calling MS for an answer but no response yet lol

Lets us know how you fared, and if it is succesful! I want to do the same for my niece laptop once I buy one for her.......(yeah, I am spoiling her)

Hong Sien

Jason, what problems are you encountering with the Vista OS?

HS, buy with XP installed lor ... Dell is shipping notebook with XP.

Jason, what problems are you encountering with the Vista OS?

HS, buy with XP installed lor ... Dell is shipping notebook with XP.

Performance and also drivers issue lor.

I play games (like COH) on this (Acer) notebook. I have 2GB ram and its running on C2D 2.0ghz . However I get occasional crashes when playing COH online and I never had that problem on XP before.

At the same time, I am using a external Draft N wireless USB adapter. The Vista driver is still in beta. And the Wireless connection is so unstable. It will drop connection after a while and refused to reconnect no matter how hard i tried. I have to always reboot the system to make it work again.

Jason,

If you bought the laptop already, please make sure that it XP has the driver to run it. Otherwise, you may not be able to use it to the fullest.

I have a friend that just bought a new hi end laptop and it is only designed for vista and will not run with XP.

So verify for the model that you have (or will buy) if it is ok to switch?

Good luck.

As for me, I am not a vista lover as I have many problems in my office network due to vista.:thumbsd:

At the same time, I am using a external Draft N wireless USB adapter. The Vista driver is still in beta. And the Wireless connection is so unstable. It will drop connection after a while and refused to reconnect no matter how hard i tried. I have to always reboot the system to make it work again.

hav you tried the Vista's network diagnostic? it should hav recommended some solution. :think:

I have a friend that just bought a new hi end laptop and it is only designed for vista and will not run with XP.
Never know there is this window XP cannot run on too high end model problem? Is it because of drivers availability issues rather than window XP??

Jason,

If you bought the laptop already, please make sure that it XP has the driver to run it. Otherwise, you may not be able to use it to the fullest.

So verify for the model that you have (or will buy) if it is ok to switch?

Good luck.

As for me, I am not a vista lover as I have many problems in my office network due to vista.:thumbsd:

Yes, i checked with Acer, they do have the XP drivers for this notebook. But the local support team cannot answer my aboved query . They asked me to call Microsoft lol

Can call up Microsoft Singapore to exchange for XP key, that's what my vendor did on all our new PCs that shipped with Vista, just told them your in-house application cannot run on Vista.

As for driver, just note down all the devices from your device manager before you downgrade, the key items are graphic, sound and network card and chipset drivers, the rest XP native driver should be able to take care off :thumbsup:

i downgraded my new thinkpad to XP. had to pay a service charge of 80 bucks tho. didnt mind. i got a full licensed version of xp. the guy at the shop said it was a very common request.

vista was a major pain in the ass. buggy and sloooooooow. my new thinkpad was twice as fast and had double the memory of my previous one running xp, i ran them side by side and vista was sooo much slower on it.

i will probably use xp until it is no longer supported by microsoft.

Can call up Microsoft Singapore to exchange for XP key, that's what my vendor did on all our new PCs that shipped with Vista, just told them your in-house application cannot run on Vista.

As for driver, just note down all the devices from your device manager before you downgrade, the key items are graphic, sound and network card and chipset drivers, the rest XP native driver should be able to take care off :thumbsup:

you could try compatibility mode in vista to run your applications.

vista is slow and incompatible with most applications even when run under compatibility mode. its a pain especially for office users to use. had some users in the office running it and its too troublesome if you don't have admin access.

I have a notebook that comes pre-installed with Vista OS. I like to change it to XP. I read on other forum that I can do that without a charge.

I have PM the guy who posted that reply on the other forum. While waiting for a response, I am wondering if anyone here tried that before? I am wondering if its true that with a Vista OS lic, I can downgrade/upgrade without additional charge.

Just trying to make sure this is a official workaround before trying :bsmilie:

Thanks

PS : Tried calling MS for an answer but no response yet lol

FYI, all Vista Businness Edition can revert back to Win XP Pro. Provide you have a win XP Pro. You can get the key for MS. :)

Confirm can change from Vista to XP. Just do the normal complain about problems with drivers and so on and they will shipped a new XP for you. Make sure it's the full installation CD.

you could try compatibility mode in vista to run your applications.

Cannot lah...I have tones of program under Power Builder, Foxpro, IBM personal Comm, IBM Landp.....all went bongkus straight away and we do not even bother attempt to fix :confused:

Cannot lah...I have tones of program under Power Builder, Foxpro, IBM personal Comm, IBM Landp.....all went bongkus straight away and we do not even bother attempt to fix :confused:

i feel for you man. lucky for me, PhoneTools that came with my modem from 1998 still works.

Status
Not open for further replies.