DOF Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelvintwt

Jun 28, 2007
Singapore
hi all..
anyone here has any experience on DOF Adapters? Read up on them quite a bit and find it really fascinating stuff..but how much do they usually cost? :D

There r a few in the mrkt now. An average kit is about sgd2000-2500 region with rails and flip exc lens. I guess the most popular brands are Letus, Brevis, Redrock Micro mainly. There are more. YOu will need the flip module with the adapter, and lots of good prime lens. Nikkor is the most commonly used for the price range and ability to control aperture. Have to set aside about 5k for a proper setup.

IMHO, DOF adapters are an oddity that will be extinct in 5 yrs. You will be able to get shallow DOF once camcorders sport full frame 35mm CMOS. This is likely to happen across most brands in 2010. Already Canon is promising a full frame CMOS autofocus camcorder for next year. The Panny GH-1 already does autofocus in video mode, so they probably have the technology to produce a similar camcorder. I'll save my money and wait it out for an autofocus DOF solution.

hi all..
anyone here has any experience on DOF Adapters? Read up on them quite a bit and find it really fascinating stuff..but how much do they usually cost? :D
there are official ones that go for thousands and there are those that start from US$99.

Yeah i agree dof adapters were relevant in the early to mid parts of this decade, but now it's just a question of months before everyone can get proper dof without this kludge.

Personally i own the Letus Extreme

Some pointers:

Fits small cameras
Light loss of 1 -1.5 stops
Sharpness is ok
Build wise...ok for exterior...sometimes the vibrating glass inside can stop during a shoot...have to watch out.
Slight issue is that it can only shoot to max f5.6, otherwise grain appears. So if you need more depth of view, this might not be for you.

Setting up is relatively fast once you know the correct zoom and focus setting for your main camera, however you def need rod support for usage

Status
Not open for further replies.