Does brand loyalty affect your perception of other brands?

How does brand loyalty affect your perception of other brands?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Midnight

Where do you fit in on this scale?

It's a definitely no for me...I'm not loyal to the brand name, blindy that is! :)
Each piece of equipment has its own merit regardless of the brand, if I still can use it as my tools to create the picture I want, then I will use it.

Originally posted by mpenza
I'm not "brand loyal" but I do try to correct wrong perceptions/incorrect information.

Ditto.

All products are just tools meant to serve you. Though you may have faith in a manufacturer due to past experience, each new product deserves to be evaluated on its own merit.

It applys to all things.

Definitely NO. I buy things value for money. But my view on value may change over time;)

partically brand loyal. From certain brands, oyu have some sort of self assurance that it will live up to a certain performance. I'm talking aobut everything, including MacDonalds.:D

realistically....i don't go for brand...if the product really suit my needs and nothing much hassles then i would go for it.

I wouldn't term it as brand loyalty. It's just that a particular brand (e.g. fujifilm) implements certain features in their digicam (e.g. superb movie mode) which appeal to me.

Thus, in a way, certain considerations which they make in their design (which possibly evolves into their culture) coincide with what I look out for.

Originally posted by imaginary_number
I wouldn't term it as brand loyalty. It's just that a particular brand (e.g. fujifilm) implements certain features in their digicam (e.g. superb movie mode) which appeal to me.

Thus, in a way, certain considerations which they make in their design (which possibly evolves into their culture) coincide with what I look out for.

I agree with your point.
Normally, I'll narrow my search down to the specific models, and then I will do a comparison:

What extra features that it has that I need?? (Normally, people just rush to get the flagship model, only to realise that they do not use all those functions in it....

Is it worth it to pay extra for this model?
(PS: Is this considered as a "cost-benefit analysis"?)

But many other issues cloud one's purchasing decision....
This is where marketing skills pop in....
They try to create a differentiated product away from the rivals, so as to increase their sales. Branding, packaging and design also plays a part in it as well.

For me, I sometimes get swayed by brand name...
I plonked my money to get a Nikon without even looking at the other brands... :D :D

Originally posted by SNAG
I plonked my money to get a Nikon without even looking at the other brands... :D :D

I suspect you're not alone and lots of people do too, just that you're honest enough to admit it. Look at the poll results, the option with a whopping 100% more votes (as of this writing) than any other option was an honest evaluation of each piece of equipment regardless of brand.

Right.

Originally posted by Jed

I suspect you're not alone and lots of people do too, just that you're honest enough to admit it. Look at the poll results, the option with a whopping 100% more votes (as of this writing) than any other option was an honest evaluation of each piece of equipment regardless of brand.

Right.

One of the reasons that I got Nikon at that time was that it seemingly seemed that most professionals (in my utmost myopic newbie sense :angel: ) relied on Nikon for professional shooting > it led to me thinking that Nikon was the best, and I should pay the extra premium to get a Nikon, and have access to those legendary Nikkors... which are out of my reach. How ironic.

But this was not definitely the case.
Soon, I realised that there are a significant amount of shooters shooting on other brands like Canon, Leica etc...

And the first thing that I learnt from Clubsnap was that the main decisive factor that identifies you as a good photographer is not your assemble of equipment, it's your skills.

Take me for instance: I got a relatively good camera, but I feel that the shots I take are sub-standard... :)

PS: I like your quote...

Originally posted by Jed

Right.
Finally Jed come with an honest opinion :)
Yes, indeed many people biased toward brand.
e.g.: if you're given a choice to purchase an original Nikon/Canon and a third party, both render the same quality and same price, which one you choose?

If a group of amateurs gather, and somebody join them carrying a Leica then another guy with old Nikkormat. Tell me which one will get more attention and praise, even without looking at their result?

Some macro photographer swear by their Nikkor 105/2.8 Micro, can they distinguish the result from the one taken with Sigma 105/2.8 EX ?

well Jed, it is very difficult to be 100% unbiased by brand.

Once a photograher comes to a certain level, he would be nitty picky on every single detail. I admit that if i have no problem with my finance, I would buy the BEST quality. But usually I have constraints on my cash flow, a tradeoff between value and cost is unavoidable. So far I still think it is my vision and skill that limit the quality of my shots, in 99% of time:D

I'm a Nikon user and it's almost be default because I inherited the FE and some good primes from my uncle who gave up photography. Ever since then I've shot exclusively with the set-up I got and once effort and (mostly) money is spent to build up a system that I was comfortable with, I never really thought about switching to other brands. Frankly, if my uncle had given my a Canon or other brands, I would be firing away with USM lenses instead of not being able to afford the expensive AF-S Nikkors. Well, anyway, I'm happy with what I have now and will continue in getting stuff for Nikon.

Note: I would consider third party stuff for my system if the price/quality ratio is right. I mean, $800 for Tokina 28-80 and $3000 for Nikkor 28-70....I don't think the quality difference is 3x.

andrew

I use the EOS and Contax G amongst other cameras. Its not brand loyalty but the fact that its costly switching systems. What a trap. If only the industry could adopt a universal lens mount....

Easiest stuff to switch are fixed lens cameras like Canonet, Fuji rangefinders, P&Ss etc etc as they dont come with 'baggage'

ed

Originally posted by SNAG

the same for me but for quite different reason...
firstly its becoz my mentor & his pool of gang use it although at that time camera was very expensive. Its batterd but still working...the resale value is good as i was thinking of upgrading as time goes by...i will only buy what i need irregardless of brand name.

good to have.........wanna buy ???
must have..............wanna buy ???
priority ???

Nowadays, parts are all manufactured in different places. Many are even designed and manufactured by OEM.

Think only things that brand can guarantee now is just service quality, quality control (deteoriating) and after-sales support guarantee (software upgrade, supplies, helpline etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.