Does a DSLR made a better Photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the above statement is true? :dunno: Anyone..:rolleyes:

I will not agree with it. Please remember that camera itself is just a gadget, it is a tool that enhance your ability. If you do not possess the skill of photography as in the sense your picture fail to express their message or the composition is alway wrong or it can be the whole pic is distracting leaving audience to wonder what are you trying to tell us.

A normal PNS , dslr or DSLR-like affect the photographer to certain extend. When gadget fall into good hand, the outcome will be good. Yet if it fall into a wrong hand, you will understand the consequence yourself.

So if u are equipped with DSLR like nikon D300 with 18-200mm lens but the angle of shooting, the shutter speed, the aperture, the ISO , the white balance and EV no all screw up. What the point?

You get under exposure or over exposure shot. That alone is enough to make one frown instantly. So what make you think a DSLR made a better photographer when now pple use PNS and edit in photoshop? Just abit of information, I use dslr-like* Kodak P880 which is hard to use and not as good as current PNS in food shot for catering service. The quality match the standard in food magazine.

It is the knowledge and practice that make one a better photographer!!! OK!!! =)

This is more a coffeshop talk. Thread move to Kopitiam :dunno:

hmmm.... just delete the OT posts and the rest of the thread can be moved back. quite an interesting discussion.

hmmm.... just delete the OT posts and the rest of the thread can be moved back. quite an interesting discussion.

Yes I also find it interesting, but it can also be in kopitam. I would have left it in newbie section if the topic is eg Does a DSLR takes better picture, or In what way is a PNS worst off than a DSLR etc, rather than the above title which somehow is aiming at photographers (with DSLR) and is closer to coffeeshop talk.

Anyway, being here would have more participations too.

either side is fine, but i think such topic should belong here.

cute people

they have another article on the same site that says that equipment is not important

someone posted up this one before and someone replied with the other article :bsmilie:

Pls read the update

luminous-landscape.com said:
Firstly, just because I was arguing that good and appropriate equipment is important when doing many types of photography doesn't mean that the inverse is untrue; in other words, that talent isn't necessary. This is a simple logical fallacy that is taught in any reading comprehension course, yet which some seem to have assumed to be the case.

Pls read the update

yar, it is correct what

you need both. but if you had two horses to ride, one was a poor photographer with a good camera, and the other was a good photographer with a p&s; i know where i'd put my money! ;p

yar, it is correct what

you need both. but if you had two horses to ride, one was a poor photographer with a good camera, and the other was a good photographer with a p&s; i know where i'd put my money! ;p

I believe the title refers to "photographer" as the same person... not 2 individuals with differing skills.

I believe the title refers to "photographer" as the same person... not 2 individuals with differing skills.

? your article has changed the subject, it is about camera > photographer or photographer > camera then you bring back the thread huh

ok lor

? your article has changed the subject, it is about camera > photographer or photographer > camera then you bring back the thread huh

ok lor

Sorry..mabbe my england isn't that sharp... but where in the article compared 2 photographer skill sets. Wat you mean by "camera > photographer or photographer > camera" :dunno:

quoting from the writing ..

''And, herein lies the crux of the matter. We all have different needs. A photographer walking the streets of an urban environment doing street shooting has very different needs than someone on the Serrengetti photographing wildlife. A photographer looking to create large prints of extremely high quality landscape work will of necessity need a different set of tools than a teenager wanting to record her sweet-sixteen party.''

indeed, that article doesn't talk about 2 photographers. it talks about many types of photographers and many different needs. whether a DSLR can help a person take a better photograph is an absolutely subjective issue decided only by the person in question. first, that person needs to know what he/she needs in order to achieve what he/she wants.

DSLR is design for advance users, so it suppose to take you to the next lever, if it does not serve the purpose, it will be long gone.

anyway.......

camera is just a tool,
nothing but just only a tool,
just get the right tool to do the job right.

does you ever see a very skillful craftsman boast around what the most expensive tools or sharpest knife he has?
or any artist boast around his has a fine collection of sable paint bushes plus wide range oil colors?

if you are a professionals, do you like to list all your tools you has in your namecard?

so does a DSLR made you a better photographer.....................?
only you have the right answer.

Yes They all do. Good stuff commands good and $$ prices. Not necessary in namecards, but mostly photographers list out their equipment where they get pics published in mag etc. Grey Gorman did said he loves a 1Ds and 70-200 IS.

Face it. In business, ALL clients will look at you differently if they know that you have the top tools in hands. Be it whether or not they are paying peanuts.

Well of course you must show decent portfoilo too. Good or artistic is another question.

Sorry..mabbe my england isn't that sharp... but where in the article compared 2 photographer skill sets. Wat you mean by "camera > photographer or photographer > camera" :dunno:

well i never read it in detail

but i remember it was in response to ken rockwall's article that the camera doesn't matter, and the photographer does.

in fact, at the end i do recall that there was mention of a good photographer being able to produce good shots with any camera in the world.. being bullshit. which is of course, true. you give him a d3 without battery also cannot produce any shots.

One of the hoariest of the hoary cliches is that a good photographer can take a good photograph with just about any camera. Horseshit.

so while the bulk of the article is perhaps addressing a separate point, there is still issues of photographer skill being brought into the picture leh. maybe i misunderstood the purpose of your link to site. anyways, my remark was just a top of the head one.. cos i start a thread about this before :devil:

quoting from the writing ..

''And, herein lies the crux of the matter. We all have different needs. A photographer walking the streets of an urban environment doing street shooting has very different needs than someone on the Serrengetti photographing wildlife. A photographer looking to create large prints of extremely high quality landscape work will of necessity need a different set of tools than a teenager wanting to record her sweet-sixteen party.''

indeed, that article doesn't talk about 2 photographers. it talks about many types of photographers and many different needs. whether a DSLR can help a person take a better photograph is an absolutely subjective issue decided only by the person in question. first, that person needs to know what he/she needs in order to achieve what he/she wants.

True true. Mabbe I'm assuming too much but so far I felt that this thread was in the context of P&S vs DSLR.

While both have their respective advantages (being discussed in another thread)... one can't deny that DSLRs are by far the format that covers the broadest range and/or is the most popular systems. So I'm assuming that an average Joe on the street would benefit from using a DSLR as opposed to a P&S.... they to get to capture more of what they like and want. That in my definition makes them a better photographer... but can their pics compare to those like yours...then nope.

Better is relative :D

... one can't deny that DSLRs are by far the format that covers the broadest range and/or is the most popular systems. So I'm assuming that an average Joe on the street would benefit from using a DSLR as opposed to a P&S ...

actually this is what i would call the terror of the majority.

actually this is what i would call the terror of the majority.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Pretty obvious when DLSRs users flourish here in the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.