Do you unmount your lens when not used?

Do you unmount your lens when not used?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. Paranoia to the max. If gravity was going to affect our cameras so much, then maybe we should go shooting in space instead. If you frequently use landscape or portrait orientation, then wouldn't gravity spoil your camera/lens cos of the frequency in which you use the camera in that orientation?

Please, don't worry so much and just enjoy photography.

Even in the dry cabinet, you all didn't detach the lens from the body? I'm worrying that it's not good for the lens if we store the lens with the body mounted on.

In the lens there's lots of fragile and delicate element which if mount with the body and if we place it on the side way, I'm worried that it's not good for them, being the gravity pushing a pressure to them. But does anyone realise that or just don't bother 'bout it?

The biggest wear and tear and stress and potential problems that your lens and camera will encounter is when you take them out and actually use them as intended.

So, better put it back in the original packaging, and leave them in the dry cabinet, and make sure the dry cabinet electrical source has battery back ups.

The biggest wear and tear and stress and potential problems that your lens and camera will encounter is when you take them out and actually use them as intended.

So, better put it back in the original packaging, and leave them in the dry cabinet, and make sure the dry cabinet electrical source has battery back ups.

Yah, shutter open and close will also cause wear and tear, some more at such high speed, very frightening. So better don't press the shutter release :bsmilie:

After use... I would unmount all my lenses from the body for storage.... As my DSLR's body are kept on the top shelf of the Dry Cabinet... and the lenses are kept on the middle. Without unmounting.... it would take up too much space. :sweat:

Yah, shutter open and close will also cause wear and tear, some more at such high speed, very frightening. So better don't press the shutter release :bsmilie:

Don't forget to remove the CCD / CMOS sensor and the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) and placed them in a Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) - safe carrier. :what:

should also use double dry cabinet.

i.e place a 70L in a 200L so as to ensure the correct RH% and minimal dust.

or you can set up a cleanroom as well, for mounting/unmounting of lenses.

I superglued mine on. No nid to headache mount lah unmount lah! :sweatsm:

Last edited:
i leave my lens mounted unless im changing lenses. or else unmounting will introduce dust...

Why unmount for? Just keep them on and you can start shooting anytime.

More and more equipment paranoid thread

Less and less how to take good photograph thread

Is it the way to enjoy photography??? :think:

+1 :thumbsup:

i unmount all my lenses, and spend 23 hours wrapping them up tenderly in bombproof cotton wool everyday..

recently, i find that i have no time to shoot, i wonder why!!!!!!!!

i unmount all my lenses, and spend 23 hours wrapping them up tenderly in bombproof cotton wool everyday..

recently, i find that i have no time to shoot, i wonder why!!!!!!!!

Think you're sleep deprived from the 1 hour of sleep you have every day. You should spend 20 hours wrapping and 4 hours sleeping. Then you will still have no time to shoot, but at least you'll have more sleep.

Remove the lens kinda leceh but i still do it........:cool:

I always keep them on. Probably because I do not have any space contraints?

Think you're sleep deprived from the 1 hour of sleep you have every day. You should spend 20 hours wrapping and 4 hours sleeping. Then you will still have no time to shoot, but at least you'll have more sleep.

but that extra 3 hours, i spend throwing grenades at my lenses to make sure the cotton wool is enough to be bombproof...

but that extra 3 hours, i spend throwing grenades at my lenses to make sure the cotton wool is enough to be bombproof...

Ever had any cases where not enough wool? :bsmilie:

Would only unmount when there's not enough space in my small dry cabinet, else too lazy to bother. :sweat:
Frequent changing might introduce more dust and wear & tear to the mount itself? :dunno:

In fact all the while I was doing just like what you guy goes, until my friend told me, to umount the 70-200 and other heavy lenses like 200mm, 300mm or even the 24-70mm because it'll strain the body barrel.Those heavy lenses can't be supported by the body and that's why its recommended to hold the lenses and not the body.

And another thing is not good for the lens.
Looks like most of you guys did what I did and I think I'd follow the consensus. It's true, worry too much, won't enough photography.

Just like getting a sport car but drive like uncle, always blocking the road.

In fact all the while I was doing just like what you guy goes, until my friend told me, to umount the 70-200 and other heavy lenses like 200mm, 300mm or even the 24-70mm because it'll strain the body barrel.Those heavy lenses can't be supported by the body and that's why its recommended to hold the lenses and not the body.

And another thing is not good for the lens.
Looks like most of you guys did what I did and I think I'd follow the consensus. It's true, worry too much, won't enough photography.

Just like getting a sport car but drive like uncle, always blocking the road.

Erm. If the lens mount can't support the lens, then I have nothing to say. How is your lens still staying on your body? Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.