Do you unmount your lens when not used?

Do you unmount your lens when not used?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 29, 2007
Do you guys unmount your lens from the body or just leave it as it is? Any drawback doing that?

IamJeFfy

Apr 15, 2002
any 'benefits' or 'advantages' from 'unmounting' the lens from the body then?

Stratix

Oct 13, 2005
i unmount from body (with grip)

so it's more compact to keep in my bag.

Dec 29, 2007
Even in the dry cabinet, you all didn't detach the lens from the body? I'm worrying that it's not good for the lens if we store the lens with the body mounted on.

In the lens there's lots of fragile and delicate element which if mount with the body and if we place it on the side way, I'm worried that it's not good for them, being the gravity pushing a pressure to them. But does anyone realise that or just don't bother 'bout it?

CS TAN

Sep 3, 2007
Hong Kong
You worry too much. It is a non-issue for most people. If you have a small dry cabinet or bag, then you will HAVE to take the lens off - no choice. However, if you are like most people, you would want the camera to be ready whenever you are. So, for me, the camera with my most popular lens (since it is my most popular lens, it will be on my camera most of the time) will be pointing lens down in my bag ready for action. At home, it will go inside the cabinet in one piece as well.

henry soh

Aug 29, 2008
Hi, No need to worry such small matter though covering the body with the lens cap also prevents dust from depositing around the rim of the flange of the body.
Not much dust in dry cabinet. U may use the bag supplied with the lens

Last edited:

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
But does anyone realise that or just don't bother 'bout it?
Nothing to realize - nothing to bother. Stop worrying or creating worries for yourself. If there's something to worry your manual would clearly state it under "Don't do this..." Cameras are not made of sugar cotton and they are tested under rough conditions. It doesn't matter at all, neither for the lens nor for the lens mount whether you unmount the lens for storing or not. As mentioned, keep the body closed to prevent dust coming in, be it with the lens or cap.
If position / orientation of the lens would be something to worry about then how can we take picture in any other position than the horizontal way? How can there be pictures showing lenses stored in vertical way in backpacks and dry cabinets?

Jamesu

Mar 20, 2009
I see no reason to unmount the lens when not used, unless you plan to not use it for a long period of time, like few months then I will.

Just like camera battery, most of us (as least me) leave the battery in the camera ready to shoot, unless you take it out for charging or planning not to use it for a long period of time.

Headshotzx

Dec 14, 2007
Punggol
When packing for traveling (from location to location, like from home to the location shoot) I'll unmount everything for safety sake (less torque on the mounts when the camera bag is banged around etc).

However, if it's in a holster type of bag, no, I'll mount everything for easy access. If it's in a backpack, I'll pack separate.

fedodedo

Jan 14, 2009
Woodlands
akimbo-style.blogspot.com
When packing for traveling (from location to location, like from home to the location shoot) I'll unmount everything for safety sake (less torque on the mounts when the camera bag is banged around etc).

However, if it's in a holster type of bag, no, I'll mount everything for easy access. If it's in a backpack, I'll pack separate.
i do the same thing. when I pack for the day's outing. everything will be in thier individual slots, body and lens not mounted together. and when i reach at a certain place. then i decide what to mount, and kept it on till i want to change to another lens or till the end of the day.

for me i unmount at the end of the day's shoot. Save space. but I have to be very careful about where and how i keep it to minimize dust coming in.

Lolrence

Oct 15, 2006
I always have my lens mounted on cause my bag is big enough..

kenkht

Sep 21, 2008
Singapore

Agreed. Only unmount for traveling purposes in case bag gets knocked around.

BTW, lens don't break when kept horizontally. Just think how they ship new lenses all over the world.. Don't worry..

Jan 28, 2009
i do the same thing. when I pack for the day's outing. everything will be in thier individual slots, body and lens not mounted together. and when i reach at a certain place. then i decide what to mount, and kept it on till i want to change to another lens or till the end of the day.

for me i unmount at the end of the day's shoot. Save space. but I have to be very careful about where and how i keep it to minimize dust coming in.
I do the same.

yehosaphat

Oct 28, 2005
North
Cant be bothered. Dun see any real benefits from doing that and dun want to introduce more dust.

chalib

Oct 4, 2007
More and more equipment paranoid thread

Less and less how to take good photograph thread

Is it the way to enjoy photography??? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom