Do you plan your shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sion

Do you plan your shots or just go walking around and hoping to find interesting subjects?

Looks like we could learn a thing or two from professionals who plan their shots and end up with more keepers.

with slides i will take my own sweet time to compose and frame the shot

with digital i tend to machine gun from all angles and decide which one looks best afterwards

I am certaiinly much more careful in compostion when using film. Digital is good for epxerementing with different angles and lighitng conditions ..

Klose said:
with slides i will take my own sweet time to compose and frame the shot

with digital i tend to machine gun from all angles and decide which one looks best afterwards

I mean planning as to where to go, what to shoot and when to go types of planning.

Some photographers found out a scene but didn't shoot because the lighting was poor but returned there when dramatic lighting was available and perhaps with gorgreous models around their arms. :bsmilie:

Hmm.... I'm not a professional (not by my standards) but if I feel like shooting, I'd juz pick a general area (usually in the city area) and walk around. The first subject that gives me a particular 'mood' would prolly be the 'theme' for my shoot.

Very specific planning, no, not yet. At least for me. :)

Sion said:
I mean planning as to where to go, what to shoot and when to go types of planning.

Some photographers found out a scene but didn't shoot because the lighting was poor but returned there when dramatic lighting was available and perhaps with gorgreous models around their arms. :bsmilie:

Only experienced photographers can come to this point. They may not be professional (not their profession) but they have a keen photographic eye to record the award winning pictures they want.

When you don't have this experience you just walk around using whatever inspiration you have and watch out for subjects that interest you.

Others pick up this skill by attending story-telling/photojournalism workshops where they go about doing assignments. It is very important to go to such gatherings and seminars to learn from more experienced photographers who want to sincerely impart their knowledge. ;p

Sion said:

I do plan my shoots from time to time like i want to capture a particular location either at sunrise or sunset, but that;s as far as the planning goes :bsmilie:

i usually plan before i go out unless i really know how to go to a place. i tend to get lost when im on my own :embrass:

As there are many shots to be taken outside I do pre see what I want.

By this, I mean that ... on the way to work I see many oppertunities.
I remember them and when I can, I go back to what I saw and try to get what I was thinking of.

Sometimes I will actually look at a tourist flyier and go to places mentioned, then see if I can do better, (just for me) or see what they didn't see.

Sometimes I have a particular idea in mind but don't have an idea where to shoot it; again I will look in travel books etc.

For personal/portrait photography; It is mostly pre ordered in my head, but sometimes there is a modification due to the subjects idea.

Me... I like to hold a camera

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.