Do dogs or cats understand different languages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it more of a tones of the voice used also...

I have seen the neighbourhood cats answer different people in different languages as well as different names... ;)

Languages were created by mankind, specifically for its own species as a form of communication. Dogs, cats or any other animals will not understand any languages created by mankind .... but they can be trained to response to a certain words/sentence/sound/noise/tone and also to respect to the trainer to who or what the animal should response.
So technically, you can train a dog to sit in "sit" in English and to run in "sit" in Chinese, or to jump in "sit" in Malay .... and of course, another dog will not understand any of these if it was not trained at all.:think:
This is naturally difference from being able to give a reflex response .... such as if one carries a big stick and yells lots of hokkien vulgarities or any other languages and you can see any dogs or cats will run for their lives ......:bsmilie:

au contre...animals do understand us to a certain extent...certain studies have shown this for a fact.

au contre...animals do understand us to a certain extent...certain studies have shown this for a fact.
that is thru some forms of training and orientation ..... like teaching animals how to recognise our behaviour and sound(language) and response accordingly to what we want them to response.
For untrained animals (ie... wild animals, including primates) they will not understand our languages (note... not body language as per se the thread title).

that is thru some forms of training and orientation ..... like teaching animals how to recognise our behaviour and sound(language) and response accordingly to what we want them to response.
For untrained animals (ie... wild animals, including primates) they will not understand our languages (note... not body language as per se the thread title).

aiya of course la they living in the wild no contact with humans how you expect them to understand? same thing with us and other languages...

dogs generally only respond to their owners/handlers. if you've trained your dog in one language, he/she will only respond to the specific commands that are taught in that language.

as for cats, i don't even know they can be obedience trained.

dogs generally only respond to their owners/handlers. if you've trained your dog in one language, he/she will only respond to the specific commands that are taught in that language.

as for cats, i don't even know they can be obedience trained.

Cats can be trained. The difference between cat and dog training lies in the difference in their psychological way of thinking. Dogs follow the trainer as the Alpha dog and will do anything to please the Alpha dog, which is why as some say, "you can beat the dog and it will still obey". That is why some trainers use methods like choke collars to inflict discomfort as a form of training. Please note though I do not condone such methods.

For cats, they perform only because they find pleasure in doing the actions. How one trains them is to associate the action with something good, most of the time treats are that something good. So when the cat understands that each time he or she does an action corresponding to a command, something pleasurable comes in the form of treats. The cat will do it willingly.

My cats can sit and come on command. Presently we are trying to progress to more difficult tricks.

As far as i know, dogs only respond to syllables they were trained to know. And usually they don't recognise more than 2 syllables... Hahah so name your dog George or Bush but not George W Bush!

AS what has been mentioned before dogs only listen out for differences in tones or inflections so commands are best understood when they are delivered eitehr short and sharp or with disinct differences in tones. How you say it also will help. If you call your dog in a lively and happy voice he might be more willing to come to you then if you gave it in fierce 'bark' :D

The real training comes when you associate these different combinations of infections and tones with a specific behaviour you want performed. So in theary you can teach a dog new 'languages' by enticing the target behaviour while saying the new command.

As for dongs not being able to distinguish more than 2 syllables its not quite true, some breeds like the border collie have been known to be able to understand short sentences. The 2 syllable thing was to make it easier for you to call your dog. Also they recommend 'hard' sounding syllables as its easier to project. If you are really interested i can post a few books I found quite useful about this :)

I call those stray cats in neighbourhoods and some do respond to me... mebbe they like the belly rubs or neck scratching.... ;)

Cats can be trained. The difference between cat and dog training lies in the difference in their psychological way of thinking. Dogs follow the trainer as the Alpha dog and will do anything to please the Alpha dog, which is why as some say, "you can beat the dog and it will still obey". That is why some trainers use methods like choke collars to inflict discomfort as a form of training. Please note though I do not condone such methods.

For cats, they perform only because they find pleasure in doing the actions. How one trains them is to associate the action with something good, most of the time treats are that something good. So when the cat understands that each time he or she does an action corresponding to a command, something pleasurable comes in the form of treats. The cat will do it willingly.

My cats can sit and come on command. Presently we are trying to progress to more difficult tricks.
What's the purpose of having your cat to sit?

HS

No purpose. Just for the fun of it.

My friend's cat responds ot the word 'cheese' because every time we said cheese we would either scratch her or feed her her favourite dried cod snack.

The cats are not scolded or beaten to learn the tricks, they are coddled, fed treats and literally bribed and begged to sit..... so I think its a case of bonding between us and our cats when we teach them little tricks...

So I dont see anything wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.