DIY Macro flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuderia

Sep 7, 2006
Bt. Merah
Hi,

Got inspired by the following thread to DIY a macro flash. Haven't really tried out in the field but produces a very strong flash. Need to find a way to lower down the power. As all the flash unit is in Manual, any ideas on how to do it? Any comments are greatly appreciated.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=308719

DSC00403.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

with this setup, i dont think you can handle it for macro shots but it may works. To reduce your flash power and at the same time soften it, use difusers. Nowadays I only use built-in flash with DIY difuser for macro shots.

Thanks Deswitch,

I find it ok to shoot on a monopod. Went shooting objects around the house handheld. Slightly heavier than my 70-200 + 5D combo, still manageable ;)

if ur macro lens focuses very closely u can even stop down to F16 or even more for greater DOF.. then u might really nid all the power from the flash

Hi Scuderia..

It good to see somebody actually doing here.. I have a question though... (I asked in the other thread too)..

What is the squarish bracket thing between the Tianya-filter-holder and the 2 things used to hold the 2 Achiever flash? Where to get it locally and price? :)

Also notice you didn't use the wireless trigger, how are the flashes triggered in this case? Using slave mode?

Thanx in advance!

if ur macro lens focuses very closely u can even stop down to F16 or even more for greater DOF.. then u might really nid all the power from the flash

Thanks Slaam,

I've realized that I never follow original thread throughly. The bleach bottle cut out is a fantastic solution. Just Velcro will do. Can remove anytime I need a stronger flash output.

Hi Scuderia..

It good to see somebody actually doing here.. I have a question though... (I asked in the other thread too)..

What is the squarish bracket thing between the Tianya-filter-holder and the 2 things used to hold the 2 Achiever flash? Where to get it locally and price? :)

Also notice you didn't use the wireless trigger, how are the flashes triggered in this case? Using slave mode?

Thanx in advance!

Hi rOnGrEn,

The squarish bracket thing is a Cokin Modular Hood. The two thing use to hold the Achiever flash is called a bounce shoe. It allows me to pan and tilt the flashes where ever I want.

The breakdown of costing for this setup.

1: 2 X Achiever flash $52.00 (CP-PP)
2: 2 X UN Bounce Shoe $32.00 (CP-PP)
3:Cokin Modular Hood $14.00 (OP)
4: Cokin P system Filter Holder $ 13.50 (CP-PP)
5: Cokin Filter Ring $ 16.00 (OP)

You're right, I'm not using the wireless trigger as the Achiever flash unit has built-in optical slave. Works fine if you don't have other photogs "flashing" at you.:bsmilie:

Thanx Scuderia.. that was very helpful :)

Thanks for the clarification. That's why I'm sticking to Manual.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.