Discussion - Digital Zoom (Digital Tele-converter)

Hitman

I trust everyone has read the manual, and is aware of this new feature in the PEN series... we all know digital zoom is not real zoom, but it is really very useful in a pinch, when you just needed that extra reach when using a fixed focal length lens.

I've not tried or really tested it extensively, but I guess within limits, it does turn my 25mm f/1.4 into a 50mm f/2.8 lens, albeit with some negligible loss in image quality and not being able to crop too much? I brought this up, because I was contemplating on the 45mm f/1.8, but with the feature, do I still ned to spend the money on the lens?

Any thoughts to share?

2 hours to Liverpool vs Man Utd.... ;)

Hmm.... I suggest you shoot it as is on the camera, and from the resulting image you get, crop it. Gives you much more freedom in cropping/composition and etc than if you were to use digital zoom.

To me, the digital zooming thing is a gimmick, not really needed when you already have the manual focus assist.

I do use Digital Tele-converter on my 300mm lens to get 33% longer focal length.

a_Grey_Heron_010807.jpg

Last edited:
I trust everyone has read the manual, and is aware of this new feature in the PEN series... we all know digital zoom is not real zoom, but it is really very useful in a pinch, when you just needed that extra reach when using a fixed focal length lens.

I've not tried or really tested it extensively, but I guess within limits, it does turn my 25mm f/1.4 into a 50mm f/2.8 lens, albeit with some negligible loss in image quality and not being able to crop too much? I brought this up, because I was contemplating on the 45mm f/1.8, but with the feature, do I still ned to spend the money on the lens?

Any thoughts to share?

2 hours to Liverpool vs Man Utd.... ;)

The fancier term is single-image super-resolution. Truth be told, the up-sized pictures can NEVER be technically as good as its optically zoomed counterpart, provided that the lenses are not the limiting factor. The even better part of the story is, with the right techniques, even a computer can tell automatically which full-size image has been up-sized and which probably has not.

This is, however, only the bottom line. For practical purposes, we do not really care how the up-sized pictures stand up against the native-resolution counterparts at 100%, rather whether they are good enough for web, 4R print or whatever the user might have in mind.