Design Fault of G3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by ChObiTs
Hey guys i intended to get the G3 soon ... but i heard that it has design fault of part of the lens when extended .... block the view finder ... hmmm is this fault significant ... n bring down the value of G3 ?

If so .. wat other cameras which is similar in features n price should i get ?

Regards

If it makes you feel better, a $3000 Leica M6 with almost any lens has the same problem. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Regards
CK

12x zoom to be exact..

yar lar..zoom good lar..but wah lau..the image stabilizer like not there, the AF, the only kind of focus, also focus wrongly, put "spot mode" also focus background, light meter, press once, f2.8, press twice, f4.0, press third time, f3.2... on tripod and unchanging light source...

true man...never buy from non-camera manufacturers...

G3
Optical viewfinder : Real-image zoom viewfinder (83% coverage)
LCD Monitor: 100% coverage

10D = 95%

Therefore, use the LCD and not many camera offer 100%.

One nitpick.

Using LCD to take pictures will result in more handshake, thus blurrer images.

Unless the user is very hand steady, else using the viewfinder is a more practical solution, reasons being that the camera is closer to your face and you can get away with slightly slower shutters.

Im currently using the fuji 602 and i compose my shots mainly by using the evf, unless on a tripod.

It's just needs a lil bit of use to.
Besides, i find that i can see my images better if i use the EVF as it reduces glare and excessive lights which tends to appear while composing using the LCD.

Extra battery:
Just in case you need it. A real bummer to run out of juice when you need it. Since it uses proprietary batteries, you cannot get one from your neighbourhood stall. Cost around S$35 for a OEM one and S$100+ for the original one.

Lens Adaptor:
OEM 52mm version is S$20+. Buy this if you want to add filters or just want a UV filter to protect the extending lens. Do note that this increases the bulk of the camera.

Closeup lenses:
Hoya range of 52mm closeup lenses is around S$12. Buy this if you are really into macro photography. On its own, the G3 can already handle macros quite well.

That's about it. You may not need all these accesories listed. Go and try and see if you like it.
;)

Regardng the extra battery ... wat oem brand u all using... also can be more specific on the lens coverter, UV filter and the close up lens??? me most prob getting these also plus a 256 card....

Btw the oem lens coverter any incompatibility problem

Originally posted by ckiang
If it makes you feel better, a $3000 Leica M6 with almost any lens has the same problem. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Regards
CK

Guses nothing is perfect ah LOL :bsmilie:

Originally posted by ChObiTs

Regardng the extra battery ... wat oem brand u all using... also can be more specific on the lens coverter, UV filter and the close up lens??? me most prob getting these also plus a 256 card....

Btw the oem lens coverter any incompatibility problem

For me, I am using Megapower brand OEM batteries as well as a brandless purple boxed one.

My lens converter is a brandless 52 mm made in Japan aluminum tube sold at AP. (some prefer the Lensmate)

My UV filter came free from AP and its a el cheapo Vitacon brand.
(some say the Hoya UV filter is pretty good esp the multi coated one ~ actually I can't really tell the diff)

I am using Hoya Closup filters (+4, +3, +2). Got them at S$12 each. (seems OK)
;)

Hey i will keep a look out... thanx alot 4 ur attention : )

Anything u think i shld take note?

Hi zplus.. can as u abt G3 accessories.... i am planing to get g3 lens adapter .. but have no idea which size to get.... can u help me?
also i was told that it fixing adapter will block the flash.... n how significant is this ... thanx ....

Originally posted by Zplus
About 1/4 of the viewfinder is blocked when you use a lens attachement adaptor at wide angle. At full zoom its fine.
I use the LCD almost all the time.

Whether this affects you adversely is subjective. I bought the G3 knowing this limitation and so far no real hinderance.
;)

Let's see... some good prosumer cameras are Fuji 602z (old) and Nikon 5700. Some others also like the Sony 717. Go try a few and see which one suits your needs and budget.
:D

Well.....

Went out after diner with my family juz to check out the G3......and both my wife and i was shock to see the blocked left bottom portion of the viewfinder.......

My wife's first reaction......what!!!!!??????.....whats this....????? A Alcheapo film 35mm also not that badly designed......

So i ended up getting a BLACK G2.......thought it may be an older model.....but i really like the feel....and features

Since i sold off my V2.....i decided to get the G2....as a replacement.....

Check out this website to compare G1 G2 G3.....

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/G2.html

regards,
me

Status
Not open for further replies.