Dell Laptop Explodes During Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it real (the explosion seems too big). :dunno:

Terence said:
The fire went on for 5 mins?? Didn't anyone have the good sense to look for a fire extinguisher?
read carefully:

Should you witness such an event, his advice is, "Don't try anything courageous/stupid, stay away, away, away!"

"Fire extinguishers leave a mess on your suit and belongings; pack your stuff (if you can) and leave, leave, leave!" he advises.

Denosha said:
LOL. Better than losing ur :cool: :thumbsup: :cool: right?

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: You created a very good 'anagram' there to describe the male reproductive organ. Dan Brown should be worried.

Canew said:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: You created a very good 'anagram' there to describe the male reproductive organ. Dan Brown should be worried.

Shh.. dun need to say out loud. :bsmilie: Dan Brown wun even see me coming... ;p

But seriously, Dell isn't the only manufacturer to face problems with exploding batteries. Did anyone see the one with the exploding Motorola handphone sometime back? That would be even worse I imagine... :bigeyes:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Lithium-ion batteries can easily rupture, ignite, or explode when exposed to high temperatures or direct sunlight. Never store them inside of a car during hot weather. Short-circuiting a Li-ion battery can also cause it to ignite or explode. Never open a Li-ion battery's casing. Li-ion batteries contain safety devices that, if damaged, can cause the battery to ignite or explode."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

If I remember my chemistry, Lithium is part of the group of metals which are very reactive.

:sweat:

Hobbesyeo said:

"Lithium-ion batteries can easily rupture, ignite, or explode when exposed to high temperatures or direct sunlight. Never store them inside of a car during hot weather. Short-circuiting a Li-ion battery can also cause it to ignite or explode. Never open a Li-ion battery's casing. Li-ion batteries contain safety devices that, if damaged, can cause the battery to ignite or explode."

If I remember my chemistry, Lithium is part of the group of metals which are very reactive.

Short circuiting many types of batteries can cause them to boil and explote. An alkaline D cell wrapped in aluminium foil can make a big enough bang to hurt some one.

Li-Ion batteries catching on fire is relatively common - just ask Apple. They were early adopters of Li-Ion technology and had several 'your mac laptop may catch on fire' type product recalls.

If you over-charge a Li-Ion, it will almost certainly boil and burst. If it bursts, Lithium is so reactive that there is a good chance of a fire.

Generally Li-Ion batteries have their own built in charge-limiters and often a small CPU and memory (Sony's 'InfoLithium' is an example), so that if the external charging device fails or otherwise does something wrong, the battery pack can protect itself. This doesn't always work, and I expect at the cheaper end of the spectrum, they leave the charge limiters out of the packs in an effort to save production costs.

Incidently the batteries in both my Dell laptops report they were manufactured by Sony :)

Hobbesyeo said:

AVOID 3rd PARTY BATTERY FOR YOUR CAMERA AND NOTEBOOK...

Regards,
Arto.

nickmak said:
Great.

I'm reading this from a dell laptop.
Hahaha..
Maybe u should place ur Dell some 5m away & use a wireless keyboard & mouse. ;)

hug the laptop while sleeping.

nickmak said:
Great.

I'm reading this from a dell laptop.

woo stay away stay away from your laptop. :bsmilie:

Does that mean that our black cameras will explode when used under the bright hot sun? :eek:

:) Li on batt are very dangerous to handle.
Thats why they are not made into common sized batts to carry ard like rechargable AA
i had a hard time looking for cells to replace those in laptops..

koolz said:
Does that mean that our black cameras will explode when used under the bright hot sun? :eek:

LOL of cos not..
jus that a black surface absorbs radiated heat more easily..

Gaston, our astonished reader reports: "The damn thing was on fire and produced several explosions for more than five minutes".

seems that the table cloth has some fire retardant material in it. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.