Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
go to nvidia.com update ur gcard driver.download nvidia's software forceware.check ur gcard
settings be sure it support ur lcd.I would suggest u get a quadro since u r investing on high end equipment.i got it around sgd 1600.00-fx1400.

Her dell 27" only requires 1920x1200. It doesn't even need dual-dvi outputs. Any cheap DVI capable card will suffice.

No point, high end graphics cards will not affect the colours much. It only matter if you do extremely heavy 3D rendering like CADCAM or gaming. SLS only trying to con you.

Btw, not sure if it was mentioned. Are you using the DVI cable provided by Dell? Have u tried the other DVI port on your graphics card? Maybe can try another DVI cable if u have the chance?

i used dell dvi cable previously.then when i noticed the prob, i went to get a gold plated dvi cable that cost a bloody 80+.STILL the same.

just buy the screen don't need to buy the imac

gandalf, how much does a 27 inch equivilant apple screen cost?confirm no such problems?
CONFIRMED?

Do check that you are seated at an appropriate distance from your moniter. Despite the wide viewing angles of newer LCDs, you still need to be relatively perpendicular to the screen when you are doing color critical work.

I'm using at Dell 30" and I don't have such issues, then again, I try to avoid such problems in the first place by sitting far back in my seat having the moniter >1m away from my face.

Anyway I use a G5 at work and nope, I don't think a Apple Cinema would do any better.

i am quite sure i am seated correctly.
ergonomics to me very important as i had suffered from backache before.
i bought a good chair just to help with my backache.my viewing distance is about 60-80cm.(didnt measure so unsure).

so now how?

no point replacing another monitor from dell right?

then when i do photoshop, WHICH image is 'correct'?
damn depressed man.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

can i ask dell for refund?:rolleyes:

Viewing Angle (Degrees)
178° (vertical) typical, 178° (horizontal) typical

GREAT FOR
Accurate color representation for content creation, video & photo editing and desktop publishing.
Allows engaging gaming/video/photo experience with captivating colors.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/30lcd?c=sg&cs=sgdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Then they waill say can view right? Didn't say desaturate cannot view.

Photo editing and captivating colours: Please view at 90 degree angle to the screen.

Dell's OEM printers are from Lexmark. Wondered where the monitors are from.

Maybe that's the cause of the problems. :bsmilie: Sorry, couldn't contain myself.

Obviously you've not had much experience using the higher end Dell monitors.

Point being when Dell discovers a problem, the goods are already in the water from their OEMs. Too late to do anything given their margin. "Obvious" problems will be rectified probably in the next batch. You take chances buying high-end Dell and hit a deadend buying cheapo Dell. :nono:

can i ask dell for refund?:rolleyes:

You could ask for them to exchange the monitor - this monitor should be quite good, a friend had asked me about this monitor when they were considering buying it and I saw this review about it

http://www.behardware.com/art/imprimer/658/

Some quotes from the review
"With standard color adjustments and the brightness gap, the Dell is definitively the better for image professionals"

"Nevertheless, it is interesting to point out that these good results with the Dell monitor can be subject to variations from one model to another. This manufacturer sometimes changes components and there can be several successive versions of the same product. Ours was a REV A000. Also, proper transport is of utmost importance, as each bump is a risk to reduction of color fidelity and, for example, light reflector misalignments."

Note the bit I have put in bold - this is especially true for the larger monitors.

If you have read the earlier posts, she has already exchanged for a new one.

gandalf, how much does a 27 inch equivilant apple screen cost?confirm no such problems?
CONFIRMED?
You probably can go to Apple centre at Wheelock for a look?

I think all very large LCD screen may face the same problem if looking too closely :sweat:

Frankly, My LCD TV Monitor don't have such problem.

Anyway, Looked like Jeanie gonna go get herself another monitor le. lol.

have called dell for refund.they will get back to me.

i spent 1.8k getting a monitor that has variations in color?wat the heck?:dunno:

yes goose, they had exchanged for a new one for me yesterday.immediately plugged in, and problem still persist.
i'm so glad i wasnt conned into getting a better high end graphics card.:sweat:

once they refund, i will get a 'better' monitor.apple or eizo?this time, i will bring an image down and ask them load right in front of my eyes before i buy.

lesson learnt:rolleyes:

Just do a final check, very unlikely for 2 moniters to display the same problem. I think the Dell 24 and 27" moniters might have various operation modes like gaming mode or video mode or PC mode. Ensure that its set to PC mode when you are working on images.

scag,
the link you sent me, what does a dual link dvi card means?does that mean i have to get another graphics card just to power the 30 inch?

http://store.apple.com/1800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/singaporestore?qprm=78313&family=Display

Unlikely that you need to change.
Most 7600GT should already come with a DVI-dual link interface and I've used it before with my 30".
Just check your videocard manual/box to confirm.

Just do a final check, very unlikely for 2 moniters to display the same problem. I think the Dell 24 and 27" moniters might have various operation modes like gaming mode or video mode or PC mode. Ensure that its set to PC mode when you are working on images.

no such mode.i fiddle with the entire monitor settings already.

Unlikely that you need to change.
Most 7600GT should already come with a DVI-dual link interface and I've used it before with my 30".
Just check your videocard manual/box to confirm.

thanks.so all i need to do now is to get the 30 inch apply display, plug it in and i'm ready to go WITHOUT getting/setting/buying anything extra?

i cant wait.

CONFIRMED?

the only thing that i can gurantee are death and taxes

but here is a link to the apple singapore store

http://store.apple.com/1800-MY-APPL...estore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=5C4F3312&nclm=Display

these are their list prices, you might be able to get it slightly cheaper
if you buy from the right shop

i can gurantee that it will look great

Status
Not open for further replies.