D800

No mention of 100% view finder and double media slot.:think:

I do hope they fix the low light focusing issue of the D700 though.

sorry just got to ask...WHAT low light focusing issue might we be alluding to?

at least I do not have any up to ISO 6400, f2, 1/8 of a second....

All the talk .................. actually, no picture no talk ............

sorry just got to ask...WHAT low light focusing issue might we be alluding to?

at least I do not have any up to ISO 6400, f2, 1/8 of a second....

This happens when shooting in low light condition, where the D700 will have problem auto-focusing especially when using the AF points other than the center one. Example: shooting portraiture in a dimly lit restaurant. It is quite difficult to AF the subject's eye, even if using the side AF point (which are non cross type) that can make use of the on-camera AF-assist light. It would be even worse when using the corner AF points (non cross type) without AF-assist. That's with f/2.8 lenses btw.

The issue was reported by other D700 users on the net as well, e.g. on photo.net:
D700 and autofocus - Photo.net Nikon Forum

Last edited:
This is incorrect, it is not about more or less light falling onto the photosites, it's about frequency of the change (which defines the edges) against sampling frequency. Per Nyquist theorem, you need at least 2 times oversampling for a signal to be properly sampled. Using the example ionicbeam given above, if a lens' resolution is 1 micron, the sensor will need to resolve at least 0.5 microns to out resolve the lens. This means at least 2 pixels are needed in a space of 1 micron as mentioned above.

Let's say with a 12MP full frame sensor, a lens out resolve it by a factor of 4. In this case, you get the full resolution from the sensor, but the lens has more to offer, and can still resolve properly even when the resolution of the sensor is doubled. Now let's consider a 48MP full frame sensor, which has root(4)=2x more resolution than the 12MP. In this case, the resolving power of both the lens and sensor matches each other and is at the optimum. Once the sensor goes beyond 48MP, the sensor will now out resolve the lens.

Does going from 12MP to 48MP resulting in a "lower detailed pic"? No. Because instead of limited by the sensor resolving power, both lens and sensor are now equal and you get the max possible resolution from both. Does going from 12MP to >48MP resulting in a "lower detailed pic"? Again no. Now the limiting factor is the lens, and yes the resolution is limited by it, but you still get the max resolution from the lens and the details will not be lower (and in fact it is higher than 12MP). You're just not fully utilizing the sensor's resolving power in this case, and of course if you upgrade the lens to one with higher resolving power you'll rip the benefits of the sensor.

i think its more complicarted than that.. For calculation sake, lets pick FF format,
a 12mp FF 36mm x 24mm sensor size has pixels of 8.45 microns while 48mp has pixels of 4.5 microns

based on the table below and you will not get any more resolution when the diameter of the airy disk is more than 1.4 to 2x larger than the pitch size, so
a 48mp with 4.5micron pitch (using 2x yielding 9microns) will hit diffraction-limit at aperture between f5.6-f8 (looking at (1) on table) on a diffraction limited lens with green yellow light while
a 12mp with 8.45micro pitch (using 2x yielding 16.9microns) will only hit diffraction limit between f11-f16
it is also more common for lenses to have diffraction-limited resolutions between aperture f8-f11 so by hitting the limit earlier on the 48mp sensor, it does not seem to be beneficial compared to 12mp sensor

TABLA2.jpg

while we are still at the 48mp sensor, this limitation will be non-existence if you do not plan to shoot at aperture > f5.6 and also use lens that have diffraction-limited resolutions at f5.6 or less..

Last edited:
Fake!!! So abort your BBB if you're tempting to do so now...

Just checked with Peter at NR, and he confirms it (that it's a scam)...

Double checked, seems like a D300s with the 3 changed into 8 and Fx logo added. Case solved. FAKE FAKE FAKE

Cannot understand why people chasing such news. When it is out on the shelve or announcement from nikon itself then it is reality.

Think got nothing better to do.

Cannot understand why people chasing such news. When it is out on the shelve or announcement from nikon itself then it is reality.

Think got nothing better to do.

coz this is the only thing to fill up what spare time we have.... hahahahahahahha....

hmmm... so no definite news of D800? Probable launch?

Not sure if i want to wait for D800 or get the D700 first.Will i be able to resist?? hahaha...

Feel my D90 is not really suffice for me already... gotta find new things to learn on my D90 now.

hmmm... so no definite news of D800? Probable launch?

Not sure if i want to wait for D800 or get the D700 first.Will i be able to resist?? hahaha...

Feel my D90 is not really suffice for me already... gotta find new things to learn on my D90 now.

Go get a 2nd hand D700 lah, dont need super uber condition... as long can work ok, u save money there.... unless u wanna go Malaysia buy.....

dont get me wrong, not judging here but rather than what the camera can do for you, what can you do with the camera(sounds so political) hahahahahahaa.......

Seems like D700 out of stocks in many places. Now the best bet is D800 to be launched soon.

Nikon Rumors reporting that they have photos taken with the D800 with the EXIF data showing that it is 36MP, and confirming the name "D800". But then I suppose this can be hacked if necessary.