D800 metering inconsistency

dniwkh

Mar 19, 2012
I noticed that my D800 has a tendency to expose for the subject suddenly and totally blow out the background. This behaviour is very different from the D700. I read online saying that exposure meter place a lot of emphasis on faces, etc.

Is there a way to turn this off? Some settings I can set?

I noticed that my D800 has a tendency to expose for the subject suddenly and totally blow out the background. This behaviour is very different from the D700. I read online saying that exposure meter place a lot of emphasis on faces, etc.

Is there a way to turn this off? Some settings I can set?

Can consider using average metering but that might result in underexposure in the case of severe backlight or spotlight. However if you shoot RAW it might be better to under 4 stops than over 1 stop for the case of D800.

I assume u are shooting portraits which are back lit. To capture details of subject while retaining background, I suggest u use fill in flash.

I have noticed and raised this issue. I also have color temperature variation with shots taken 1 - 2 seconds apart. As i understand they do not provide any solution to this.

This inconsistency is made worse with manual lenses.

I assume u are shooting portraits which are back lit. To capture details of subject while retaining background, I suggest u use fill in flash.

the DR of the camera is good enough to capture the background and the subject but the metering is very inconsistent from shot to shot. If it is consistent I can probably do an exposure compensation and then forget about it.

The metering will all of a sudden decide to expose for the subject such that the subject's exposure is spot on but the background will be totally blown out. The D800 does not do this consistently and I still have not figured when it will pull this stunt on me...

What I want would be the subject be maybe 1-2 stops underexposed and then I recover it in post processing.

dniwkh said:
the DR of the camera is good enough to capture the background and the subject but the metering is very inconsistent from shot to shot. If it is consistent I can probably do an exposure compensation and then forget about it.

The metering will all of a sudden decide to expose for the subject such that the subject's exposure is spot on but the background will be totally blown out. The D800 does not do this consistently and I still have not figured when it will pull this stunt on me...

What I want would be the subject be maybe 1-2 stops underexposed and then I recover it in post processing.

I believe you guys are using auto WB and auto exposure for this, and metering done on matrix. Matrix metering is really a computer program that is trying to get the "optimum" exposure by considering the various parts of the scene. Each time a shot is taken the "auto" part kicks in, so "inconsistency" appears.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the situation you guys are in calls for manual WB, spot metering and manual exposure control. I don't think there is any system in the world will be consistent in that.

I believe you guys are using auto WB and auto exposure for this, and metering done on matrix. Matrix metering is really a computer program that is trying to get the "optimum" exposure by considering the various parts of the scene. Each time a shot is taken the "auto" part kicks in, so "inconsistency" appears.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the situation you guys are in calls for manual WB, spot metering and manual exposure control. I don't think there is any system in the world will be consistent in that.

I have D700 too and I have no problem with matrix metering of D700. I just seem to me that the D800 is too intelligent for me. I think D700 is more simple as in the sense that it tries to keep everything from over exposure. The D700 matrix metering will almost never decide all of a sudden to blow out the background and expose for the subject.

I have to switched to manual exposure quite a few times for the D800 during my last trip. I NEVER used D700 in manual mode ever...

Last edited:
dniwkh said:
I have D700 too and I have no problem with matrix metering of D700. I just seem to me that the D800 is too intelligent for me. I think D700 is more simple as in the sense that it tries to keep everything from over exposure. The D700 matrix metering will almost never decide all of a sudden to blow out the background and expose for the subject.

The point is really matrix will do what the programmer asked it to do, and what the programmer thinks is the optimum exposure. You need to take control and decide. Off with matrix. Spot meter and ps.

dniwkh said:

I have to switched to manual exposure quite a few times for the D800 during my last trip. I NEVER used D700 in manual mode ever...

Sorry I posted the reply prior to your edit :sorry:.

In matrix metering, the facial recognition and metering to faces will kick in. Problem if the angle of the face changes, and it not fully clear in angle, the metering to faces turns off thereby causing a change in metering.

If the overall metering is influenced so much by the face recognition, wouldn't the exposure be influenced by the skin colour as in when shooting subjects with fair skin, or dark skin.

If the overall metering is influenced so much by the face recognition, wouldn't the exposure be influenced by the skin colour as in when shooting subjects with fair skin, or dark skin.

Yup. Just like how any metering is affected by dark or light background, dark or light subjects. That is why we have EV compensation.

Turn off D_light
Check and turn off eV exposing blacket function
Turn on Auto ISO
Avoid scene with very challenging light conditions

archon75 said:
Turn off D_light
Turn on Auto ISO

Challenging lighting conditions are what makes photography fun.

Turn off the rest and go manual on metering, spot meter. Take the helm and get full control!

Turn off D_light
Turn on Auto ISO

Should turn on D-lighting. Makes it easier as you cheat and smoothen out the darks and increase DR.

Regarding Auto ISO. I think it's been the best thing since sliced bread. Very helpful in changing lighting conditions. Sometimes it is not practical to change ISO in fast paced events.

Yup. Just like how any metering is affected by dark or light background, dark or light subjects. That is why we have EV compensation.

you can't do EV compensation in this case as the metering is NOT consistent. Sometimes it detect face, sometimes doesn't. Only way out is to shoot manual but that kind of defeat the purpose of matrix metering.

I mean one of the big "improvements" in D800 vs D700 is the supposedly improved matrix metering algorithm. To me it is a big step backwards.... I wonder if there is a setting to turn off this "face recognition" feature in metering.

dniwkh said:
you can't do EV compensation in this case as the metering is NOT consistent. Sometimes it detect face, sometimes doesn't. Only way out is to shoot manual but that kind of defeat the purpose of matrix metering.

I mean one of the big "improvements" in D800 vs D700 is the supposedly improved matrix metering algorithm. To me it is a big step backwards.... I wonder if there is a setting to turn off this "face recognition" feature in metering.

The metering is consistent, it is the matrix metering that is not behaving the way you like. It is after all a program that guess what the situation is like. It is the photographer that should decide how the meter should be used, and not leave it up to a computer chip to decide for you and then say it's inconsistent when it doesn't behave the way you expect it to.

An algorithm is but a way of thinking not the guarantee to success.

Granted, if you have a way to turn on and turn off the feature that'd be good.

The metering is consistent, it is the matrix metering that is not behaving the way you like. It is after all a program that guess what the situation is like. It is the photographer that should decide how the meter should be used, and not leave it up to a computer chip to decide for you and then say it's inconsistent when it doesn't behave the way you expect it to.

An algorithm is but a way of thinking not the guarantee to success.

Granted, if you have a way to turn on and turn off the feature that'd be good.

+1.

To TS, in the end it is all about understanding your camera. Just because it works one way in a camera you are used to, and another way in a newer camera, does not make it inconsistent. It just means you are not used to the new metering.

I am using a camera with almost the same metering system as your D800, and all I can say is, I am using a lot more matrix metering than the time I was using my D700. And the metering is a lot more accurate than the D700 actually. In the past I used a lot of spot metering in D700. Nowadays I am mostly on matrix.

+1.

To TS, in the end it is all about understanding your camera. Just because it works one way in a camera you are used to, and another way in a newer camera, does not make it inconsistent. It just means you are not used to the new metering.

I am using a camera with almost the same metering system as your D800, and all I can say is, I am using a lot more matrix metering than the time I was using my D700. And the metering is a lot more accurate than the D700 actually. In the past I used a lot of spot metering in D700. Nowadays I am mostly on matrix.

For D800, matrix matering is the best option available