D70, KM 5d or Oly E 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clockunder said:
Yes, this is the main issue which I've been worrying about getting a KM.

The other thing I'm conscious about is my incapability to check 2nd hand stuffs especially the lenses. My current camera is also my first camera which I bought 2nd hand and its zoom got stuck after 1 week and I had to spend $234 just to get it repaired.

So I'm more inclined to get brand new ones now and therefore the other issue is the costs of new lenses.

Actually if you are looking for Premium lens from Minolta, you may have availability problems. Other than that you should have no problem looking for 3rd party or KM cheaper lens.

latinfrog said:
I tink i've asked dis in another thread but never got a reply.. wad's a good external flash for Km5d and wad are the options for it's lens..

Sad to say i've returned my whole nikon set already nothing left.. :(

ok 3600hS if not a higher end 5600HS should meet your needs. As for lens options, you can do some researches and see what range you need. ;)

Haha I notice this thread has got mostly Minolta users! I'm also a newly converted 5D user. Guess we're trying to brainwash more recruits. I'm very pleased with the camera. Have used the D70 briefly and liked the handling as it is a solid camera with a nice grip. But in terms of pricing, KM 5D is unbeatable. I like that most of the features I use have their own dedicated buttons or are quickly accessible thru' function button. Easy to pick up how to use without having to bury yourself in the manual. As for the lenses, considering you are getting a Stabilised lens every time because the Anti-Shake is in the camera body, I think they can be considered cheap. The whole starter kit consisting of 18-70mm kit lens and 70-300mm lens can be yours for around $1,500 I think. Just kit lens only is about $250 less. Which other system gives you to image stabilised lens for under $500?

eel said:
Haha I notice this thread has got mostly Minolta users! I'm also a newly converted 5D user. Guess we're trying to brainwash more recruits. I'm very pleased with the camera. Have used the D70 briefly and liked the handling as it is a solid camera with a nice grip. But in terms of pricing, KM 5D is unbeatable. I like that most of the features I use have their own dedicated buttons or are quickly accessible thru' function button. Easy to pick up how to use without having to bury yourself in the manual. As for the lenses, considering you are getting a Stabilised lens every time because the Anti-Shake is in the camera body, I think they can be considered cheap. The whole starter kit consisting of 18-70mm kit lens and 70-300mm lens can be yours for around $1,500 I think. Just kit lens only is about $250 less. Which other system gives you to image stabilised lens for under $500?

bro thanks alot.. jus some more questions.... what are da reccomended lense for KM for portrait, models, and scenary shoots...

latinfrog said:
bro thanks alot.. jus some more questions.... what are da reccomended lense for KM for portrait, models, and scenary shoots...
If you talk more about quality shots

scenary:
11-18mm, 17-35mm

macro:
100mm

portrait:
50mm, 28-75mm

fashion catwalk, models:
70-200mm, 80-200mm, 200mm

If money not a concern 300mm f/2.8

latinfrog said:

Listen to zcf who's one of the earliest to use this camera. :thumbsup: Me only starting to try out other lens besides the kit.

KM :thumbsup: superb value for money :thumbsup: if I've learnt of the KM system earlier I would have gotten it myself.

eel said:
Listen to zcf who's one of the earliest to use this camera. :thumbsup: Me only starting to try out other lens besides the kit.
me newbie only :embrass: , if need to, listen to the Guru who used 7D for year.

If you want to advance further in DSLR, get the Nikon D70. The price is amazing. If you want something that gives you good results out of the camera with little work to be done, get the KM D5D.
Noise control capabilities of all 3 cams are comparable. See it for yourself in person, read up a little on noise tests. Under certain conditions, high ISO will produce little noise when properly exposed.

Nikon - Wide range of lens availability.
KM - Best bang for the buck.
Oly - Very good quality Zuiko lens, but price wise is not cheap. :sweat:

obewan said:
Nikon - Wide range of lens availability.
KM - Best bang for the buck.
Oly - Very good quality Zuiko lens, but price wise is not cheap. :sweat:

Couldn't have said it better.

KM probably offers the most value-for-money package for a beginner in D5D. By the time the user understand the limitations of the cam and system, the amount to lose (1.2k) to switch systems is not a lot (in photography terms of course, hope I dun sound like I'm uttering peanuts). Each system has it's own benefit. I come from Canon, which has a wide range of lens, but I somehow feel the lens system could be better in terms of optics. But I wouldn't be able to live with the Oly because of its limitations. Etc. etc.

For those new users, KM is a safe bet. Might not be the perfect choice, but a safe one.

you can't have best of both world; Getting a cheap system and yet receive the same attention as the more expensive ones I guess..

oh yah wad kinda memory does KM5D use? i would prefer CF cards as it would be easier to retrieve lost files.. and i've read dat seagate jus realease 8 gig cards.. haha shiok.. dun really wanna use SD cards for DSLR dats why din consider D50..

KM5D use CF, not many DSLR use SD, except Canon 1Ds II, Nikon D50, Samsung new one just announced.
But I never thought retrieve files from corrupted SD be more problematic than CF?

latinfrog said:
hey guys i've been a big fan of da Nikon D70 ever since it launched.. but after joining dis forum i've read abt a better budget in da KM 5D... but i've came across an article abt E500 and da features are quite fantastic.. I'm kinda lost.. cus i use to carry da F5 and F90 but i've since returned da SLRs to my department and now i'm looking for a DSLR and in a dilenmia in which model suits da best.. i'm looking for something good for portrait shoots like models and scenary shoots..

So question for the expert bros here.. wad's a good model and wad are the best suggestable lens and external flash to go along?

Thanks for the time wasted.. :)
D70s - I don't believe in that Olympus optics are any better than Nikon's. Moreover, Olympus accessories are very expensive. KM is an option too but you can weigh the differences and if possible get to try them out first before making a decision.

as a nikon user, i suggest you consider:

- KM d5d, for its antishake and ok ergonomics; probably better viewfinder
- nikon, for familiar ergonomics

i guess you must have a limited budget. frankly, since you've used the f5 and f90, i think the 3 models you chose might be a big step down in terms of handling...

I bought my km5d a month ago, and i'm loving it!

THe AS really works, and the km5d package is impossibly worth it :)

I'm a newbie so this camera is just great for my first foray into the dslr world!

d7t3 said:
as a nikon user, i suggest you consider:

- KM d5d, for its antishake and ok ergonomics; probably better viewfinder
- nikon, for familiar ergonomics

i guess you must have a limited budget. frankly, since you've used the f5 and f90, i think the 3 models you chose might be a big step down in terms of handling...

Haha it's true la.. budget constraint.. and i've not been a fan of d100.. and i've fallen in love wif da d70 ever since it launched.. but now considering other options also...

dingydongy said:
I bought my km5d a month ago, and i'm loving it!

THe AS really works, and the km5d package is impossibly worth it :)

I'm a newbie so this camera is just great for my first foray into the dslr world!

jus btw the both of us.. hw much u paid in total? :p

zcf said:
KM5D use CF, not many DSLR use SD, except Canon 1Ds II, Nikon D50, Samsung new one just announced.
But I never thought retrieve files from corrupted SD be more problematic than CF?

not really corrupted files la.. i'm aware of a few jap CF cards dat has backup space to retrieve accidentally deleted files instantly.. whereas SD card needs to be retrieved wif da help of some IT program..

Status
Not open for further replies.