D610 User Thread

Can I know where the D610 is made?

Also, how do you find the focus points on the D610 compared to say a D700? There are less cross type points and both seemed crammed into the center. Is this similar with the high end D4, etc?

In a factory :bsmilie: joke aside, i believe even if its made in Japan its going to be the same. It is about the material after all.

D610 is like an entry level for FF, the way i see it is that it is more like a general purpose FF and some limitations obviously would be limiting to the paid photogs. But otherwise it is way more than enough for most hobbyists or amateurs i guess.

In a factory :bsmilie: joke aside, i believe even if its made in Japan its going to be the same. It is about the material after all.

D610 is like an entry level for FF, the way i see it is that it is more like a general purpose FF and some limitations obviously would be limiting to the paid photogs. But otherwise it is way more than enough for most hobbyists or amateurs i guess.

And so do the D800 and D4 have limitations compared to the D610.

Well, definitely so. Just stating that as some pros claimed that the limitations of d600/d610 would deter them from buying. There are limitations for every setup anyway.

Well, definitely so. Just stating that as some pros claimed that the limitations of d600/d610 would deter them from buying. There are limitations for every setup anyway.

One stop of max shutter speed and slower sync speed can matter a lot to some shooters.

One stop of max shutter speed and slower sync speed can matter a lot to some shooters.

How about this one: d610 has dual SD slots, d800 & d4 dont have.

:)

Like i said, every setup every tool you use has a limitation. Big or not perhaps depends on your needs and your willingness to overcome it.

How about this one: d610 has dual SD slots, d800 & d4 dont have.:)

How about having a lousy photographer shooting on a D4/D800/D610 with a 24-70 f2.8 lens and a good photographer shooting on a D3200 with standard 18-55 kit lens, both shooting the exact same scene? What's the limiting factor now, the camera or the lens? ;)

lol, everything can matter a lot to some shooters. Some shooters also like to have more than 4pfs, more than 16MP and less weight, the D800/e and the D4 can't do that. Making statements like that is pretty senseless, none of the available models is superior.

Like i said, every setup every tool you use has a limitation. Big or not perhaps depends on your needs and your willingness to overcome it.

You can shoot everything with any of those cams.

How about having a lousy photographer shooting on a D4/D800/D610 with a 24-70 f2.8 lens and a good photographer shooting on a D3200 with standard 18-55 kit lens, both shooting the exact same scene? What's the limiting factor now, the camera or the lens?
wink.gif
Yeah, nothing new here. :)

Last edited:

It depends on how you define 'pros' in the first place. If you define professional photographers as those that shoot for a living, then yes, the D610 is a handicap because it is not versatile enough, AF is limited to 39 clustered in the middle, etc, etc. But if you define professional photographers as experts in the field of photography, then it would be a totally different story altogether. Professional photographers are never limited by their camera gear, they just outgrow them (e.g. I need HDR function but camera doesnt support built-in, or camera's ISO limited to 2000 else it will produce noise, etc). Ever seen a professional photographer churn out beautiful pictures using entry-level DSLRs (D3000, D5000), point-and-shoot compact cameras or film cameras? These definitely offer less features than what the D610/D800/D4 can offer, but the photographer knows how to combine knowledge and expertise and feel to compose wonderful images.

It depends on how you define 'pros' in the first place. If you define professional photographers as those that shoot for a living, then yes, the D610 is a handicap because it is not versatile enough, AF is limited to 39 clustered in the middle, etc, etc. But if you define professional photographers as experts in the field of photography, then it would be a totally different story altogether. Professional photographers are never limited by their camera gear, they just outgrow them (e.g. I need HDR function but camera doesnt support built-in, or camera's ISO limited to 2000 else it will produce noise, etc). Ever seen a professional photographer churn out beautiful pictures using entry-level DSLRs (D3000, D5000), point-and-shoot compact cameras or film cameras? These definitely offer less features than what the D610/D800/D4 can offer, but the photographer knows how to combine knowledge and expertise and feel to compose wonderful images.
If someone who shoots for a living is limited by only 39 AF points or anything else you can't take him/her seriously. :| A camera can't limit a good photographer! A proper photographer can take better shots with a Contax N Digital than most pros you see online with a D4.

Last edited:

Yes i was refering to the former. Maybe the camera was set out like the predecessor to target a wider customer base and entice those on the top end cropped bodies to make that jump. Always felt it is a general purpose camera.

Yes i was refering to the former. Maybe the camera was set out like the predecessor to target a wider customer base and entice those on the top end cropped bodies to make that jump. Always felt it is a general purpose camera.

It's not 'maybe'. It 'is'. If Nikon had admitted to the dust/oil issue of the D600, they wouldnt have to come out with the D610, since the D600 was already selling so well. It was out of Nikon's pride, their refusal to admit that there was a problem with the D600 that D610 was birthed. Essentially, the D610 is the D600. I don't expect them to release the D620, not until the D600/D610's 3-year cycle is over.

Coming from me a D600 user highly affected by the dust issue (until I had to email Nikon Singapore marketing to press for replacement), question still looms: why shoot yourself in the foot by coming up with a new product and risk losing the trust of those who had previously bought the D600?

If someone who shoots for a living is limited by only 39 AF points or anything else you can't take him/her seriously. :| A camera can't limit a good photographer! A proper photographer can take better shots with a Contax N Digital than most pros you see online with a D4.

Right..... *cough* BS...

Give fast action sports photographers a D600 and see how they will whine.

In the end, it is proper tools for the proper job.

Last edited:

Proper tool for the proper job....

Granted a good photographer can produce good shots with any camera, but when the push comes to shove, to deliver the shots they need, to capture that one single moment they were paid to, they need the right tools for the job.

Fast action sports existed way before autofocus and auto-winding. See what the photographers of yesteryears could do...

article-2312525-196B2740000005DC-711_964x627.jpg

And the cameras of old have film with only ASA100/400 which need to be pushed processed for these! All the modern advances like AF/AF tracking only makes it easier & more convenient, thats all... So a FM2, F3T. D700 or D610 etc cannot take better photos than the D4??? :)

Fast action sports existed way before autofocus and auto-winding. See what the photographers of yesteryears could do...

Last edited:

Indeed but some individuals simply don't get the point of the discussion I guess. It's always refreshing when they point out common sense things just to trash talk the D600/610. Who would have thought a better suited tool would be better for the job? ;) Wow, surprise of course they are but that's not the point.

Last edited:
Indeed but some individuals simply don't get the point of the discussion I guess. It's always refreshing when they point out common sense things just to trash talk the D600/610. Who would have thought a better suited tool would be better for the job? ;) Wow, surprise of course they are but that's not the point.

Oh I get the point very well... all broad sweeping statements. not trash talking the d600/610. In fact the one trash talking D600 was some other individual I believe. lol.

Have fun boys. I rather shoot more than be here talking paper soldiers and have nothing to show for.

Last edited:

Proper tool for the proper job....

Granted a good photographer can produce good shots with any camera, but when the push comes to shove, to deliver the shots they need, to capture that one single moment they were paid to, they need the right tools for the job.