D610 User Thread

I'm not bothered by the number of focusing pts cos I'm more of a focus and re-compose person. :)

There will be times it cannot be done and you need a focusing point off the center.

Sometimes it's annoying when tracking subjects (my kids) when shooting at AF-C mode. Prefer to have my subjects on the left/right of the frame instead of center.

Sometimes it's annoying when tracking subjects (my kids) when shooting at AF-C mode. Prefer to have my subjects on the left/right of the frame instead of center.
Rule of third ? Good.. Can make the photos more interesting.

Hi guys,

I'm looking at changing from my aging D3000 to possibly a D610. What I would like to know is how feasible would it be to retain my lenses and how much additional expenditure I would need to replace (if necessary). What I have now is:

Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G (Kit lens with my D3000)
Nikkor 35mm f/1.8g
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR

Hi guys, I'm looking at changing from my aging D3000 to possibly a D610. What I would like to know is how feasible would it be to retain my lenses and how much additional expenditure I would need to replace (if necessary). What I have now is: Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G (Kit lens with my D3000) Nikkor 35mm f/1.8g Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR

All your lenses can be used in the DX crop mode.

When in FX mode, only the 70-300mm is a FX capable lens.

The Nikon 35mm and the Tokina 11-16mm will have some minor vignette and is fairly usable.

The Nikon 18-55mm is largely not usable in FX mode.

Hi Blur Shadow,

From what i understand, if i use the Tokina in FX mode, i could probably only use it at 16mm right?

Just wondering if that will be enough for taking landscapes and sunsets. Many forums i read online advise new users to sell their Tokina and get the Nikon 16-35 f/4.

Hi Blur Shadow, From what i understand, if i use the Tokina in FX mode, i could probably only use it at 16mm right? Just wondering if that will be enough for taking landscapes and sunsets. Many forums i read online advise new users to sell their Tokina and get the Nikon 16-35 f/4.

Yes. The Tokina 11-16mn essentially becomes a 16mm prime on FX mode. The results are pretty good, as other members here have shown. I haven't had the chance to analyze the actual images produced by the combination.

And yes, other common FX wide-angle lenses used are the Sigma 12-24mm, Nikon 14-24mm and the Nikon 16-35mm.

Can you share the latest price too?
I am looking for a replacement for a D90 + 18-200mm and I hope to get either the DF or the 610 with a 28-200mm.

I take a lot of 'the moment' shots, mostly on P, so handling, AF etc is crucial, and I don't really use most of the detailed features.

The weather proofing is very useful though..
Long time didn't browse CS liao, I'm out of touch with most new releases. What's the price like for the D610?

Edit: Thanks to a bro here who have PMed me the price.

Last I rmb (2wks ago) was 21xx @slrr

Hi D600/610 owners

Just to check, are you all bothered by the focusing points all positioned in the middle of the frame?

I wasn't, until I had to shoot landscape on tripod yesterday. Normally I would compose my scene, lock my tripod head, and then move the single AF point around to AF. That's when I felt so constrained by the limited AF coverage...

I wasn't, until I had to shoot landscape on tripod yesterday. Normally I would compose my scene, lock my tripod head, and then move the single AF point around to AF. That's when I felt so constrained by the limited AF coverage...

When shooting lanscape, using hyperfocal distance focusing might be better.