D610 User Thread

Still no RAW support for D610 in Lightroom. =(

Got my D610 from Parisilk Holland V. $2461 cash. Not bad. Loving the 24MP sensor. Just waiting for Adobe to update the ACR with D610. Shutter sound not as krunchy as the D3s. But I love it anyway!

Can someone comment on the shutter sound and loudness compared to a D700? A friend has the D7000 and it is quieter than my D700. Wouldn't mind a quieter shutter if the D610 can do it. Oh and I'm referring to the normal mode, not the quiet mode.

Can someone comment on the shutter sound and loudness compared to a D700? A friend has the D7000 and it is quieter than my D700. Wouldn't mind a quieter shutter if the D610 can do it. Oh and I'm referring to the normal mode, not the quiet mode.

I think bigger shutters are usually louder. Nikon didn't mention the D610 has a quieter shutter than the D600, they just added a continuous quiet shutter mode.

Last edited:

D600 comparable to D7k i say..D700 canot even use the word quieter, its Loud..lol

If D610 even quieter than even better

Last edited:
Comparable to D7k i say..D700 canot even use the word quieter, its Loud..lol

ya, D700 can wake up a sleeping beauty.... :bsmilie:...... quiet is not one of its strength....

Try shooting in church w d700 .. haha .. u definitely know its loud

My D700 shutter is much louder than my D610. The D610 shutter sounds a little electronic to me. Not like my D700 and D3s which sound very mechanical. The D610 is a really solid camera! Jus waiting on the RAW support.

My D700 shutter is much louder than my D610. The D610 shutter sounds a little electronic to me. Not like my D700 and D3s which sound very mechanical. The D610 is a really solid camera! Jus waiting on the RAW support.

Capture NX 2 supports it already?

Single JPEG shot taken on Nikkor 18-35G using GND filters with some curve and contrast adjustments

10608561603_9af61f5250_c.jpg

It's a nice lens, have it on my D600, too.

I can't help drawing comparisons with canon's 17-40L and i think i've never been this pleased with a UWA zoom. Quite value for money and if you dont want to spend a fortune on exclusive filter set for 14-24 then needing a better head to support the weight, then i guess this lens pretty much is the choice. The lack of wideness bothers me a little though. I also wish for more wideness!

I can't help drawing comparisons with canon's 17-40L and i think i've never been this pleased with a UWA zoom. Quite value for money and if you dont want to spend a fortune on exclusive filter set for 14-24 then needing a better head to support the weight, then i guess this lens pretty much is the choice. The lack of wideness bothers me a little though. I also wish for more wideness!

hmm change camp again? hehe ;)
BBB Samyang 14mm or Sigma 12-24mm (and remaining can spend a fortune on exclusive filter set for them :bsmilie:)

hmm change camp again? hehe ;)
BBB Samyang 14mm or Sigma 12-24mm (and remaining can spend a fortune on exclusive filter set for them :bsmilie:)

Testing out Nikon cameras. Haha. No BBB lah... saving money haha

I think bigger shutters are usually louder. Nikon didn't mention the D610 has a quieter shutter than the D600, they just added a continuous quiet shutter mode.

D600 comparable to D7k i say..D700 canot even use the word quieter, its Loud..lol

If D610 even quieter than even better

ya, D700 can wake up a sleeping beauty.... :bsmilie:...... quiet is not one of its strength....

Try shooting in church w d700 .. haha .. u definitely know its loud

Thank you very much, everyone. It confirms my suspicions. I shoot in church quite a bit. I run 2x D700 at the moment and was thinking of swapping 1 D700 for a D610 because (in no particular order):
  1. Shutter volume
  2. Pixel count when shooting in DX mode to get more reach using the 70-200/2.8
  3. Video
Do you think they are valid reasons? I shoot stage productions, indoor sports and some weddings. I'm not a pro. I have the following lenses (all Nikon):
16-35/4, 20/2.8, 50/1.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8, 70-300VR

Or should I get a lens instead - 85/1.4D? 70-200/2.8 is my current workhorse.
I'm about to depart Australia so I can get the D610 for ~AUD1800 after GST refund.

If you shoot church weddings much, dont you think a D700 is so loud its almost a distraction to proceedings?

Another reason I feel valid is that these newer cams have dual SD you can set to backup mode. Very unlikely both card will fail together. For this reason I always feel that D700 is no longer suitable for Pro/critical work as you are more open to card failure, which though rare does happens.

Just personal opinions. :)

If you shoot church weddings much, dont you think a D700 is so loud its almost a distraction to proceedings?
Totally agree, but have been waiting for the right body. The D610 seems to be it. As I'm not a pro, the equipment changeover doesn't take priority. I think it's time I started charging for my work. I was once tasked to take photos of the pastor while he was preaching. It certainly would have been a distraction for those around me as I was in the 4th row from the stage, seated with the congregation.
Another reason I feel valid is that these newer cams have dual SD you can set to backup mode. Very unlikely both card will fail together. For this reason I always feel that D700 is no longer suitable for Pro/critical work as you are more open to card failure, which though rare does happens.
Thanks for reminder. Yes, that is another reason to change to D610 :) Plus SD cards are cheaper and smaller than CF and there are SD slots on pretty much a lot of laptops now. I use a netbook in my travels and it has an SD card slot. So 1 less memory card reader to carry.

Can I know where the D610 is made?

Also, how do you find the focus points on the D610 compared to say a D700? There are less cross type points and both seemed crammed into the center. Is this similar with the high end D4, etc?

Can I know where the D610 is made?

Also, how do you find the focus points on the D610 compared to say a D700? There are less cross type points and both seemed crammed into the center. Is this similar with the high end D4, etc?

Why does it matter where it's made? Are you stuck in the 80s? It's almost certainly made in Thailand.

The D4 is a whole different class. Look on the review sites like dpreview, etc for images and focus point charts