D600 User Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pinoy said:
The D700 has that Auto Focus Mode Selector that allows the photog to easily switch from Dynamic to Single AF. How do we do this now with the D600? Have you figured out a way to easily do this?

PS: please don't tell me to RTFM hehe.

I am curious as to why u would wan to use dynamc area af...

Alamak.... just when I was about to get it.... OOF problem, then the initial oil/dust problem... how like that???

sigh, D600 is not as good as I expected.
the dust issue is another turn off to me...

Maybe the photographer is expecting movement by the subject?
Yes.

Coming from 5D Mk2 (and Canon 40D before that), I mostly shoot with Single AF (Center) but would sometimes need more (and I know the AF of D600 -- tracking included -- is pretty good). Just wanna know if there's a quicker way of switching in between.

PS: the reference to D700 was made bec I used that for 1+ week before eventually deciding to get the D600. :)

I thought the D700 has a better AF by design. Why would that be a surprise? It has a better AF module.

Yes.

Coming from 5D Mk2 (and Canon 40D before that), I mostly shoot with Single AF (Center) but would sometimes need more (and I know the AF of D600 -- tracking included -- is pretty good). Just wanna know if there's a quicker way of switching in between.

PS: the reference to D700 was made bec I used that for 1+ week before eventually deciding to get the D600. :)

Taken from Dpreview....

Nikon's decision to move from a 3-position (single autofocus/continuous autofocus/manual focus) focussing mode switch on the front of the camera, to a new, 2-position (autofocus/manual focus) switch, with a control button. In the new design, with the switch set to 'AF', pressing the button and turning the rear control dials allows you to toggle between single-shot and continuous AF modes. Still with the button held down, you can then use the front dial to cycle among six AF Area modes. This is very simple, very neat, and makes perfect sense from the point of view of unifying form with function.

Taken from Dpreview....

Nikon's decision to move from a 3-position (single autofocus/continuous autofocus/manual focus) focussing mode switch on the front of the camera, to a new, 2-position (autofocus/manual focus) switch, with a control button. In the new design, with the switch set to 'AF', pressing the button and turning the rear control dials allows you to toggle between single-shot and continuous AF modes. Still with the button held down, you can then use the front dial to cycle among six AF Area modes. This is very simple, very neat, and makes perfect sense from the point of view of unifying form with function.
Thanks. I read Dpreview's review of the D600 for like 3x before deciding to make the switch. Missed the whole point of this completely.

Just tried it. Pretty nifty approach.

Thanks again.

I used my new D600 for wedding AD assignment last week, it gives me higher chance of OOF during low light than my D700. :(

Sorry to hear that. May I check how low light is your low light?

I have an example here, where I pushed the camera to the extreme. In the actual scene, it is much darker than what you see in this pic.

Full size JPEG SOOC, all functions in camera, including NR switched OFF. f4, 1/15s, ISO 6400

100% cropped

I am using the image as full size, so that 100% crop is just to show how it looks, which I thought was pretty acceptable. I don't know how other camera may have fared, but this seems good enough, bearing in mind it's at 1/15s @ ISO 6400 already, which is really hitting the max possible for blur free image.

Here's another one

f4, 1/13s, ISO 4000

If your scenerio is darker than these, probably you may want to show us a sample for us to have a better idea. We are all here to share and learn. I like to know how dark you all mean cos my definition of dark may be different.

Sorry to hear that. May I check how low light is your low light?

I have an example here, where I pushed the camera to the extreme. In the actual scene, it is much darker than what you see in this pic.

Full size JPEG SOOC, all functions in camera, including NR switched OFF. f4, 1/15s, ISO 6400

100% cropped

I am using the image as full size, so that 100% crop is just to show how it looks, which I thought was pretty acceptable. I don't know how other camera may have fared, but this seems good enough, bearing in mind it's at 1/15s @ ISO 6400 already, which is really hitting the max possible for blur free image.

Here's another one

f4, 1/13s, ISO 4000

If your scenerio is darker than these, probably you may want to show us a sample for us to have a better idea. We are all here to share and learn. I like to know how dark you all mean cos my definition of dark may be different.

I use AF-C, dynamic AF 9 points during the couple marching.
The lens is 24f1.4.
ISO1600, f/1.4, 1/100
I didn't use the center point (maybe this is the cause)

I use AF-C, dynamic AF 9 points during the couple marching.
The lens is 24f1.4.
ISO1600, f/1.4, 1/100
I didn't use the center point (maybe this is the cause)

I see. f1.4 gets tricky at times too I think.

The 2nd pic I showed was cropped. Was using top left AF point. But yeah, I have mainly been using centre and recompose (have became a habit), maybe that's why so far it has been ok for me. I will try what you did when I have the chance to see how it fares, and use those outer points in those low light situations again.

if ur settngs is default, when u set to AF-C, ur shutter priority is to jus release even when ur focus is not there.
u mentioned marchin in...
there's the item A3 Focus tracking with lock-on,which u can adjust how fast ur cam re-adjust the focus.
how abt tryin 3D tracking mode?

Hi all, got my D600 earlier this month 1st Nov as a gift. Thus, replacing my lovely D90.

Very happy with it even though the 39 focal points are really tight.

Not sure if it is this thread, but I thought i rem reading someone ask how to choose which sd cards to preview, and some suggested pulling out the card from 1 of the slot.

There's another method: while in playback mode, press and hold "bkt" and press up. A menu will prompt asking which slot to display. Hope it helps :)

My experience is that it hunts a bit in low light. But if given enough time to hunt, it can attain pretty accurate focus. It's not a oof issue like the d800. Just that focusing is slow in low light, so definitely not for low light fast moving action shoots. If u are doing portraits in low light, just ask your model to hold still and hold their pose. Lol.

N-user said:
Any dust problem as reported??

I may or may not have dust, i dunno... cos it doesnt affect my pics and im not bothered enough to hunt for them. Maybe someone else can report here if theybare affected

Status
Not open for further replies.