D600 User Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohhh so ur D4 is affected too... Well as long as it doesnt affects ur shooting and pix, should be alright i guess.

Anyway, i have decided tat it should be ok.. And am a proud owner now hahha

After playing a while and coming from d80, the features and menu are really customizable!

Yeah, it was affected at the same side, but I did some clean up and it was more or less better. Was stuck with with really big dinosaurs back then. And had 2 big dinosaurs on the focusing screen which fortunately was removable without sending it in to NSC. It was very very irritable when you see it visible through the VF.

It didn't affect that much except I need to clone and heal accordingly in my images. And it wasn't that bad. I can live with dirt, but not dinosaurs. I was roughing it out too much in the fields with the D4.

Thus I'm wondering how bad the D600 really can get now.

From D80 to D600, it's a nice leap, it'll grow on you. I just want to get a FX body that's lighter than the D4 for travelling and misc usage. The D4's still quite 'loud' sometimes. A D600 would not have so many eye-brows raised at you when exposed in public.

This is the state of my sensor after shooting in the countryside for 4 days, in very dusty condition, where firecrakers and firework ashes were flying all around, ashes from burning of joss papers and of course the dust on the road of the countryside. I keep changing lenses very very frequently according to what I wanted to shoot. My friend, who was using the 5DMII had worse dust on sensor than me. His dust on sensor is really big elephant, and not rounded, and he said he will need to bring in to Canon when he returned. Upon seeing his I was quite relieved. Below is a blown up of the top left of my image, brightness up. This is shot at f14 at ISO100.

This is a blown up of the same image after dust removal.

And this is the image

I am glad bro lenslust brought up that D4 also have dust, but if you guys noticed, those owners are too busy shooting then to keep harping on the dust problems. It's amazing how much time people spend talking about this problem instead of going out shooting. End of the day, am I concerned about this issue? You bet I am. But I am even more concerned about getting the right exposure and composition as compared to this issue. Taking aside this issue, there really isn't anything you can fault about this camera.

So if you already own this camera, go out there, shoot more and enjoy the pictures taken. For those who are still on the fence, maybe you should just buy the D800 ;p

wolfton said:
I am glad bro lenslust brought up that D4 also have dust, but if you guys noticed, those owners are too busy shooting then to keep harping on the dust problems. It's amazing how much time people spend talking about this problem instead of going out shooting.

hahaha well said... Im guilty but i have to agree with u

Nope, I'm not the kind that is looking forward and worrying about X, XS, XXL etc. If I did, I won't have gotten the D4 but wait for the D4S instead. Actually would prefer the D600S to come out, D600 drop in price then I purchase it. It would be good if D600/S can use the EN-EL18 of the D4, then it would be a really + point.

Wallet's feeling the pinch after getting the D4 + 24-70 f/2.8 this year. So am considering the D600 at a very detailed level.

Is there a D600S in the horizon ? I gotta catch up on Nikon rumours !

flamenco said:

No, at least not on the horizon, maybe on the other side of the milky way.

I am glad bro lenslust brought up that D4 also have dust, but if you guys noticed, those owners are too busy shooting then to keep harping on the dust problems. It's amazing how much time people spend talking about this problem instead of going out shooting. End of the day, am I concerned about this issue? You bet I am. But I am even more concerned about getting the right exposure and composition as compared to this issue. Taking aside this issue, there really isn't anything you can fault about this camera.

So if you already own this camera, go out there, shoot more and enjoy the pictures taken. For those who are still on the fence, maybe you should just buy the D800 ;p
Well, unless the dust is like what my D2X had, a strand of hair across the frame (wish I can swear vulgarly here as I had to photoshop a whole series of images that day) the dust I see in the videos and what bro wolfton has demonstrated, is really NOTHING.

If you're telling me D600 has this amount of dust, I'd just seriously shrug it off. This amount of dust is nothing to shout about. Sorry to bro wolfton, but my D4 has much lesser dust than your camera. :bsmilie:

I normally hope there are, so that I can grab the previous versions cheaper when the price drops.

lenslust said:
If you're telling me D600 has this amount of dust, I'd just seriously shrug it off. This amount of dust is nothing to shout about. Sorry to bro wolfton, but my D4 has much lesser dust than your camera. :bsmilie:

Haha, actually I was expecting worse... I needed to change lens while walking around, with all the firecracker and firework debris flying around. This is considered mild bearing in mind the condition with which I needed to do the changing of lenses. (Fast pace event)

Have since used a rocket blower to blow them off, now only have 1 or 2 stubborn ones, which is not bothering me :) BTW they appear after going past f10, below that they don't appear.

To add on, my camera fared better in this area than the 5DMII which my friend was using. Mine needed to zoom in before these dust become apparent, his big dinosaur was visible without zooming in...

Last edited:
Haha, actually I was expecting worse... I needed to change lens while walking around, with all the firecracker and firework debris flying around. This is considered mild bearing in mind the condition with which I needed to do the changing of lenses. (Fast pace event)

Have since used a rocket blower to blow them off, now only have 1 or 2 stubborn ones, which is not bothering me :) BTW they appear after going past f10, below that they don't appear.

To add on, my camera fared better in this area than the 5DMII which my friend was using. Mine needed to zoom in before these dust become apparent, his big dinosaur was visible without zooming in...
Sad to say the 5D Mk2 isn't a known dust magnet. Your friend's 5D Mk2 having more dust than your D600 may have something to do with the user (eg way of changing lens, frequency etc). I have used 5D MK2 for more than a year and never had any dust issues with it (and I do change lenses quite frequently).

OTOH, the same can't be said with the D600. As that time lapse video would show you, it appears to be an issue with the cam itself (or QA).

I don't even bother to blow it off. It's faster to clone/heal in PS. I normally go at f/10-11 during birding, so the dust spots are obvious after I push the levels. For events, not much of an issue.

Sad to say the 5D Mk2 isn't a known dust magnet. Your friend's 5D Mk2 having more dust than your D600 may have something to do with the user (eg way of changing lens, frequency etc). I have used 5D MK2 for more than a year and never had any dust issues with it (and I do change lenses quite frequently).

OTOH, the same can't be said with the D600. As that time lapse video would show you, it appears to be an issue with the cam itself (or QA).

Issue is that there are moving parts in the camera, even the D4 is known to be weather sealed, but dust still creeps in no matter what. That amount of dust is really nothing to shout about.

I think I can safely say the D600 is in my purchase pipeline once the price is able to drop a bit.

just to share, was offered 2.7k bundled with the usual gift at sites 2012 .

Last edited:

Don't get me wrong bro, I am referring to the result of our 4 days of extensive shooting under the same environment, not referring to all units of 5DMII. :) The picture below shows how the condition is like:

The time lapse video is right, it's always on the left side, but not necessarily on top.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong bro, I am referring to the result of our 4 days of extensive shooting under the same environment, not referring to all units of 5DMII. :) The picture below shows how the condition is like:

The time lapse video is right, it's always on the left side, but not necessarily on top.

If it's top left, it's bottom right on the sensor. Don't forget the images are originally inverted once it passes through the lens. Still remember we had to load in the film roll inverted? :)

That happens to be where the shutter is the furthest and opens/close point is. :)

And yeah, if I had to shoot like the above pic condition, dust is expected, but point is, in this kind of shot, even if there's dust, it won't be very visible at f10-11.

bistro share, was offered 2.7k bundled with the usual gift at sites 2012 .

Hi bro, if with cc payment, freebies include SD cards may be worth it ?

Not sure if canon also showcase the 6D ?

blueblood said:
Hi bro, if with cc payment, freebies include SD cards may be worth it ?

Not sure if canon also showcase the 6D ?

with freebies! and credit card.
I didn't ask further if include get, only.
llook for the rigHTML person, if u r keen.

with freebies! and credit card.
I didn't ask further if include get, only.
llook for the rigHTML person, if u r keen.

Which booth has the D600? Not by Nikon Simgapore right? They still selling at $3249, with PWP lens, and some freebies.

Just back from SITEX. The crowd in the afternoon is not too bad, but towards the evening, it is terrible. Also the flood gate opens, see a lot of FT.

Managed to get the D600 at $2600 plus freebies, cash payment. Think the Nikon booth is managed by HN. The CSO seems to be earning on commission, different people quote different price. You need to get the right one.

Just back from SITEX. The crowd in the afternoon is not too bad, but towards the evening, it is terrible. Also the flood gate opens, see a lot of FT.

Managed to get the D600 at $2600 plus freebies, cash payment. Think the Nikon booth is managed by HN. The CSO seems to be earning on commission, different people quote different price. You need to get the right one.

Shoot more.

blueblood said:

What freebies u get ?
No more dust issue already for current batch ?

Status
Not open for further replies.