D40 launched @ Courts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was away for the weekend and did not see the Courts ad until today. Went to Courts AMK to ask about the D40. For anybody interested to know, they don't display it. So don't be surprised if you can't find it. When I asked the staff at the counter, I was told they have plenty of stock and the offer with the free camera partner, SD card, tripod and bag will continue will at least Christmas. So please don't rush into buying just to catch the freebies, especially if you are still in doubt of what you want. I also see that the freebies are not just for D40. They give you these things with D50, D80 and I think even D200 as well. Of course, pls don't blame me if next week you go there they tell you no more stock, freebies all given away or something.

Understand that Harvey Norman also selling at same price but giving away 2X1GB SDcards, tripod, bag and dry box. Anybody got any idea what dry box they give? If it's a good one I think I'll buy from them. Need a good storage box more than a digital partner.

By the way, may I know how many shots I can get out of a 1GB SD card?

Just held a D40 at Courts TP today. Looks like the unit has just got in because the salesgirl keeps insisting its the D50 I was pointing to at the rack. Even after holding it in her hands I had to show her the D40 logo on it to convince her that its the D40 and not D50. Can't really blame her. The other guy lagi best. Keeps insisting that if you have existing Nikon lenses the D40 is not for you but I told him I know the difference between a AFS and the old Nikon lenses. He has this "dun understand look" but in the end he admitted that he's there more to push Canon being the Canon rep for Courts. Oh dear looks like the main problem in selling the D40 would not be the camera performance itself...

Also you can forget about getting accessories outside of those they bundled in the promotion. So no SB400 flash etc. He actually pointed me to the other 'local' shops but he had this sheepish look on his face lol cause I don't think he was suppose to lead me to his other competitors.

Anyway...

Have held the D40 and took a couple of test shots. It is quite a bit smaller and quite a lot lighter. Much nicer handling than the Canon 350D and 400D I've held before. Compared to the Fujifilm S6500FD and S9600 I've held before it is also much smaller but equally as light. Interestingly enough the S6500FD size reminds me of the D50.

In terms of handling it is a DSLR alright. Fast and the shutter lag reminds me of the D50. Maybe just the tiniest bit slower than the D50. The viewfinder is bright bright bright and I like it a lot more than the one on the D50. As for not having the ISO, Quality, WB buttons, I actually din find this much of an issue since its just an additional button press to trigger them. Not a deal breaker as I thought it was going to be. Neither was the non-AFS lens limitation. I knew what I was getting coming in.

The deal breaker is funnily enough the size. It's no PnS. Yes it is sizeably smaller than the D50 but with the lens attached they feel like they are of equal size. I also thought I would welcome the lighter weight but after holding it I actually miss the heft of the D50. The D50 just somehow feels more solid and serious when taking photos.

Thinking back if I had not bought the D50, I would have easily bought the D40 back when I was considering the prosumer level cameras. Comparing the performance in speed and quality to the Fuji S6500FD alone I think its a no brainer. The D40 was much better in terms of speed, image quality and high ISO performance. And it is really fun to use to boot. I really didn't expect that.

Ok enough of my ramblings...

I bought my D80 two months ago.
Now D40 was released.
If I know this will happen. I will go for D40.
For the price of D80, I can have D40+SB400.

Now D40 was released.
Those 2 camera are of diff catalogue... If u are serious about photographic D80 is a much better choice over D40.... no regrets..:thumbsup:

Was away for the weekend and did not see the Courts ad until today. Went to Courts AMK to ask about the D40. For anybody interested to know, they don't display it. So don't be surprised if you can't find it. When I asked the staff at the counter, I was told they have plenty of stock and the offer with the free camera partner, SD card, tripod and bag will continue will at least Christmas. So please don't rush into buying just to catch the freebies, especially if you are still in doubt of what you want. I also see that the freebies are not just for D40. They give you these things with D50, D80 and I think even D200 as well. Of course, pls don't blame me if next week you go there they tell you no more stock, freebies all given away or something.

Understand that Harvey Norman also selling at same price but giving away 2X1GB SDcards, tripod, bag and dry box. Anybody got any idea what dry box they give? If it's a good one I think I'll buy from them. Need a good storage box more than a digital partner.

By the way, may I know how many shots I can get out of a 1GB SD card?
1gb might be able to give you 300-400shots... Im able to squeeze out nearly 800 large jpg fine shots from my d50 using a 2gb card.

Now D40 was released.
Then why didn't you just buy D50 in the first place?

really dui la.. no ext hard disk..but me no choice. too bad.
and as requested.. one of my fav pic took with D40. pls i new in photography and new to SLR and also new D40. kekeke:bsmilie:

ask u hor...does the lens that comes with D40 has VR?

ask u hor...does the lens that comes with D40 has VR?

Please stop asking the same question all over the place. Ask once.

NO.... the 18-55 does not come with VR. And you do not NEED VR at such short focusing lengths.

In Nikon, only those labelled with VR in their lens description have VR. Go read more.

Please stop asking the same question all over the place. Ask once.

NO.... the 18-55 does not come with VR. And you do not NEED VR at such short focusing lengths.

In Nikon, only those labelled with VR in their lens description have VR. Go read more.

Thanks for ur reply.
Anyway, I've been reading many reviews and many threads for the past few nights n mornings so that i can get some knowledge on SLRs when i have none.
Sorry if i irritated u but there are some things where i do not know where to start. Its a newbie's thing.:sweat:

PS: i'm trying to load up on knowledge so i will know what to find in a SLR as i wanna get one soon b4 all the good deals end by the yr.

Well... do selective reading on the cameras. There are a lot of good articles on the cameras and functions both here in CS as well as out there in review sites. Do remember to keep note that some review sites should be taken with a pinch of salt... ;)

Would like to see more of ur D40 shots coming in. :cheers:

as per ur request...testing again..keke:embrass:

DSC_01190001.JPG

DSC_01650001.JPG

DSC_01340001.JPG

hi...do u think ur 1st pic is a little dark?

paiseh ah...i dun have a slr yet but still wanna comment...hee

no prob wor.. keke.. i am still an amateur.. can accept anything!;p

Hello.
I am new in this forum and photograpy, so sorry if i am asking something stupid k :D :D :D

Anyway I am considering btw getting a second hand D70 or a first hand D40, but today while working at sony xmas sales, i talked to a few clubsnap members (all damn fiercely equipped) who went there to snap our models. I was talking to 2 guys, one using a minota and the other using a pentax and they adviced me to NOT get a D40 or D70.

As many posts have stated, D40 only can use AF-S lens to use auto focus. How does it actually affected the user in the future if he wanted to change lens? Are AF-S lens more limited or expensive compared to their counter parts? According to the guy i talked to, apparently it is a huge problem for D40 to be able to AF using only AF-S lens.

And e other guy I talked to say D70 the noise level very high, wasnt able to talk much with him as was going for dinner with my friend. But yeah he ask me invest in D80 instead but I student now money limited

Hai, was seriously considering a D40 liao until today

Hello.
I am new in this forum and photograpy, so sorry if i am asking something stupid k :D :D :D

Anyway I am considering btw getting a second hand D70 or a first hand D40, but today while working at sony xmas sales, i talked to a few clubsnap members (all damn fiercely equipped) who went there to snap our models. I was talking to 2 guys, one using a minota and the other using a pentax and they adviced me to NOT get a D40 or D70.

As many posts have stated, D40 only can use AF-S lens to use auto focus. How does it actually affected the user in the future if he wanted to change lens? Are AF-S lens more limited or expensive compared to their counter parts? According to the guy i talked to, apparently it is a huge problem for D40 to be able to AF using only AF-S lens.

And e other guy I talked to say D70 the noise level very high, wasnt able to talk much with him as was going for dinner with my friend. But yeah he ask me invest in D80 instead but I student now money limited

hi i'm also as newbie as you...u go to newbie's corner n look for a thread i started lor...think its "D40 vs Sony alpha"....got somethings in there...then u also go into canon n nikon's corner n read up the threads on the SLRs ur intersted lor...remember to read reviews on other websites...

there are some great deals ard now...so read up quickly...hee:bsmilie:

Hello.

i think u should think about wat kind of setup u're going for 1st. discover ur niche in photography n the genre u wan to pursue.

seek advice n suggestions from users who are using the cams u're considering. true, D40 can only use AF-S lenses. but go to nikon's website. they actually have alot of AF-S lenses. the thing is, some non AF-S lenses are also popular for certain genres of photography. ask urself if u're going to buy those lenses or pursue those genres.

D70 does have quite poor noise control. but it's still a legendary workhorse. again, find out wat kind of photography u're going for. if u're going to shoot indoor/night most of the time, then get a D50 or D80. if not, the D70 can definitely be considered. go check out from ur frens or accquaintances who have the above said cams. try them out, then decide again.

hope this helps. :cheers:

Hello.

if you consider getting d40 or d70, why not get a d50. it sit right in the middle, with good noise control (should be somewhere near d40 at least) and able to use all nikon AF lens.

jus got my 1st dslr last week finally.

i choose d40 basically becos my 1st priority is $.
i had been waiting 2 own a dslr so many years waiting for the $ 2 drop below 1k. finally its here!

anyway, those seriously consider getting the d40, its a very good value for $!:thumbsup:

i had did my homework by going thru' reviews, specs, etc. the good things about d40:

1. the price!
2. excellent large LCD screen! brilliant colours! it's kind of wysiwyg.
3. 3 colour RGB histrogram. very useful to check/change your pic colour accuracy.
4. very light weight n compact size.
5. very good n user friendly programmes for the menus, setting, etc.

d40 is kind of a mixture of the good stuffs fr d50, d70 n d80. in fact the kit lens, viewfinder, LCD n built-in flash are better than that in d50.

d40 got lots of things to play with, the histrogram, re-toucing, white balance, ISO, etc. it's design more suit to beginners n amateur dslr.

so if u want more fun n good value for $, d40 is the one!

any complaint so far? jus 1 : the grip. its small size is not very comfortable for people like me with long fingers/big palm for prolong usage. other than that, everything is perfect!

i'll try find some time to share some pics later....:)

Hi all,

I am new bird here.

I am also thinking of getting a D40, I am qouted SGD945 for D40 kit + 1 GB card.

:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.